Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Staying at non-DVC resorts? in the Vacation Planning forums; My husband and I are very tempted by BLT as we are huge Contemporary Resort fans and love being able to walk to MK. One thing that's holding us back ...
    ms_minnie is offline A-Ticket holder

Staying at non-DVC resorts?

My husband and I are very tempted by BLT as we are huge Contemporary Resort fans and love being able to walk to MK.

One thing that's holding us back from buying is that we still like to check out different resorts that we've never been to before. I know you can use DVC points to stay at other DVC resorts, but can you also use them to stay at non-DVC Disney hotels (like staying at the Poly, for instance)?

Thanks in advance

Disney Bride to the Wonderful Soarin' Puddy

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

Re: Staying at non-DVC resorts?

You can do it but it works out more expensive in terms of points than staying at a DVC resort.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

MrIncredible is offline B-Ticket Holder
    On a grand and miraculous spaceship, sailing through the universe of time...

my family and i are also very tempted by BLT. It looks spectacular and you can't beat the location for MK access!

As a DVC member, you can use points to stay at any resort as Mckayla stated but it is more expensive. There is a $100 booking fee to stay at a non-DVC resort at WDW in addition to the points, and you don't get as much room or the other DVC amenities that are normally included. When my wife and I looked at buying in, this was one concern as we LOVE the Polynesian (Ohana, please!). So far, though, we have enjoyed exploring all the other DVC resorts and haven't had the urge to go back to the Poly yet. The other thing to consider is that it looks as though Disney is committed to building DVC properties as opposed to other park resorts, so your options as a DVC member are only going to broaden.

Sorry this is so long winded, and I am not employed by DVC or paid to say nice things about them, we just have enjoyed the program since we joined. I think most people go through similar questioning before taking the leap. Hope this helps.

Matt in Indy

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

The points required to stay at the non-Disney deluxe resorts generally cost more per night than a 1BR at a DVC resort, and in some cases more than a 2BR! And you are just getting a standard studio-type room.

For instance, one night in Value season in a garden view Poly room is 38 points (2009 points, 2010 points still not released), so 266 for a week. Less than that would get you a week in a 1BR at Beach Club Villas in Adventure/Choice/Dream seasons (both 2009 and 2010 charts). DVC and non-DVC seasons do not line up entirely and are called different things to avoid confusion, but those three cover everything in Value season except late July/early August, and cover far more elsewhere.

If your trip wouldn't include a Friday or Saturday night, the difference is even more remarkable (DVC charges more points for those nights).
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

ms_minnie is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks for all the quick responses! Guess we still have some thinking to do on this one

Disney Bride to the Wonderful Soarin' Puddy