Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss What are the benefits? in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi all, I have a question about the DVC. I'll be honest, I'm a total Disney World nut. I've been there at least once a year since '02. I am ...
    Disneyfreak212 is offline A-Ticket holder

What are the benefits?

Hi all,

I have a question about the DVC. I'll be honest, I'm a total Disney World nut. I've been there at least once a year since '02. I am curious about maybe owning a timeshare there one day. However, I'm really not seeing the benefits of becoming a member versus making reservations each year? Can anyone perhaps help change my mind? My great Aunt & Uncle are members. They stay at Old Key West. They told me though that they have to pay a monthly maintenance fee whether they are there or not. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but that really turned me off. I guess I just need a better explaination. Thank you and have a magical day!

Kevin

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: What are the benefits?

It is difficult to quantify benefits as they are often more perceived than actual. But the most common argument is that if you are typically used to staying in a moderate or above for a week each year, then the cost of DVC can be recouped within 7-15 years - even included expected increases in maintenance fees - and stay in some bigger rooms as well.

And then there are discounts, etc. which depending on your spending habits and size of family could also cover your maintenance fees.

The maintenance fee is NOT monthly. It is an annual fee based on the number of points you have purchased in the system and your home resort. For instance, OKW was $4.73/point I believe this year. I believe all timeshares have maintenance fees though - it is how the resort stays in operation after all the shares have been sold.

But it really depends on what you think your travel habits will be. If you can say that you will visit Disney for a week a year for the foreseeable future, then DVC would likely be a wise choice.

There are many drawbacks as well, so it is wise to completely research your purchase first. How points work, home resort advantage, trading out for non-DVC resorts, how DVC can change the rules/change point charts/etc.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

My home resort is SSR and I really like it there. I think if I broke my monthly fee down per month it would be $50/month. Although there are some DVC aspects that I think could be improved upon I like the fact that I get to stay in resorts that I never would if I were going to pay out of pocket for them. There is no way I'd be able to afford AKL or BC.
    Take a look at how many times you go and price those out staying at a moderate and then do the same for one of the DVC resorts. Granted you have to use points and sometimes you may have to bank or borrow points it still worth it.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

DVCByResale is offline A-Ticket holder

Thumbs up Re: What are the benefits?

Hi Disneyfreak,

It sounds like you are already paying for the DVC, you just aren't getting the benefits.

I agree with all the previous posters, they have given some great advice. If you are traveling here once a year and staying in moderate or higher level resorts the DVC will likely benefit you greatly.
    Just to clarify the "monthly dues" question. Each member pays their annual dues to maintain the property. Disney sets these and they are different at each resort. For example: Old Key West has dues of $4.73/point. If you own 100 points, that is $473. Disney allows us to pay them in full in January OR divide them into 12 equal payments as long as they have direct access to debit it each month...I think that is what your relatives are doing. For 100 points, $473 divided by 12 = $39.42 month.

There is plenty of information available here and great people to help you with your direction and decision so feel free to ask as many questions as you like. I might encourage you to check out the points charts based on your most recent travel habits and see what the past few years would have cost you in "points". (be sure to check more than one resort, OKW is the least expensive usually) That should give you an idea of what you would need and then you can move forward with some number crunching.

All the best,
    Shontell
    Shontell Crawford
    Lic. Real Estate Broker

DVC By Resale
    1-800-844-4099
    shontell@dvcbyresale.com

mrklig is offline B-Ticket Holder

I was in the same situation you were and decided not to buy way back in 2000. I wish we would have because for the type of room and the convince of it, it is all worth it and we just bought in April this year. If you can afford to do it, do it. Just figure how much you would pay for a deluxe or moderate room and then what you pay for the DVC and you come out way ahead in the end, especially if you go to the world every year like we do!

Hi all,

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it. Quick question though. Is it true that a person can use their points at a moderate resort? I'll be honest. Even though we stayed at OKW, my heart really belongs at Port Orleans Riverside. Thank you all for your advice!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak212 View Post
    Hi all,

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it. Quick question though. Is it true that a person can use their points at a moderate resort? I'll be honest. Even though we stayed at OKW, my heart really belongs at Port Orleans Riverside. Thank you all for your advice!

Kevin
    Yes, its true, but it is a horrible deal. Looking at 2010 charts:

At its cheapest time (Value Season - using January as an example since the cheap seasons overlap), POR would cost you 18 points each weekday, and 21 on the weekend, or 132 points for a full week. That is for a studio room.

Just random examples, for 137 points, you can get a full week in a MagIc Kingdom View studio at Bay Lake Towers (the most expensive category of studio). 96 will get you a studio at Saratoga Springs, and just 77 for a studio at Old Key West. And the DVC studios tend to be a bit better than the moderates, and bigger at least at OKW.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more

Why does it cost so many points to stay at POR? I would think it cost less since it's a moderate.

Kevin

Why does it cost so many points to stay at POR? I would think it cost less since it's a moderate.

Kevin
    POR is not a DVC resort. You'd be buying a real estate interest in DVC, which is a separate set of resorts from the regular Disney resorts (although several share facilities, like Beach Club, Boardwalk, etc.).

DVC negotiates with Disney each year to offer the option of staying at the non-DVC resorts, but it is a perk that could be terminated.

To handle the exchange, essentially what happens is that DVC pays Disney for the room you want. They then need to take your points, convert it into an equivalent room at a DVC resort, and then offer that room for cash to another guest to pay for it.
    Doc

So just to clarify, would there be any benefits to becoming a DVC member if I stay at POR every year? Thanks for responding!

So just to clarify, would there be any benefits to becoming a DVC member if I stay at POR every year? Thanks for responding!
    You'd have to run the numbers yourself based on the number of points you require, what home resort, the maintenance fees, etc. I believe it can still be cost effective, but as I said you can get far more bang for your buck by staying at a DVC resort. There are plenty of them, they are all very nice in different ways and you might find you have a new favorite resort... The DVC resorts are often considered deluxe-class resorts, and several are most are directly associated with deluxe resorts. Of the ones at WDW, only Saratoga Springs and Old Key West are "standalone" resorts. And they might more closely resemble the style at POR (condo-style) as opposed to the "inn-style" resorts.

-Brian
    Doc