Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Clueless in the Vacation Planning forums; Ok I'll start off by saying I'm really sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. I've been reading about how people who are members of the ...
    LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder

Clueless

Ok I'll start off by saying I'm really sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I've been reading about how people who are members of the DVC sometimes sell/rent their time out to other people for whatever reason. Can someone in laymans terms, please explain to me 1) What points are, 2) How the "transaction" is completed, 3) Why people do this rather than just reserving a normal room, 4) How safe it is

Any other good information would be greatly appreciated.

DVC Mike is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Clueless

Quote Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
    1) What points are
    A DVC reservation takes a certain amount of points depending upon the resort, time of year and accomodation booked. You're not really renting points, but paying a DVC member to book a reservation for you using their points. There are many differences from making a regular reservation.

2) How the "transaction" is completed
    People can go to a site that has a rental forum, such as MouseOwners.com or DISBoards, and post a request. I would recommend you get references of past successful rentals from the DVC member. You pay a deposit, the member makes the reservation in your name, and then you pay the final amount 'x' days before the vacation.

3) Why people do this rather than just reserving a normal room
    To save a lot of money!

4) How safe it is
    If you take precautions, pretty safe. If you want a more safe transaction, I would recommend dvcrequest.com
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: BLT, BWV, BCV and VGC

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: Clueless

In general, you can get a much better accommodation for the dollars by renting a reservation from a member than paying cash through Disney.

For instance, for a cash room at Saratoga Springs for Oct. 3rd - Oct. 10th (I picked a random week a couple months out) would be $2,559 for a studio, or $3,504 for a one-bedroom (room price only, no taxes)

If you were renting at say $12 a point, that studio would cost you $1,164, and the 1BR would be $2,364.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news