Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Value vs. Standard View in the Vacation Planning forums; I am not a DVC member, but I have a friend who is. We are using her family's points on our trip together in late May or early June. I ...
    Be11e is offline C-Ticket Holder

Value vs. Standard View

I am not a DVC member, but I have a friend who is. We are using her family's points on our trip together in late May or early June. I plugged in some dates to a DVC calculater on a website just to see what would be the numbers. Animal Kingdom Villias seems to be the lowest number of points for a studio with value accommonodations. I am just wondering what is the difference between the value and the standard view for a studio at Animal Kingdom. I can figure out the savannah view. What about the other resorts? What are their difference in views? Do you think it is worth the increased value?
    Next Trip: January 2012
    All-Star Sports for Marathon Weekend
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2004 - Disney Cruise Line, Magic
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

DVC Mike is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Value vs. Standard View

Value is not a view, but a smaller room size. Value rooms at Jambo House can have either a Savanna view or Standard view (which for Value rooms will either be the pool or parking lot view).

A Standard view is a pool, garden or parking lot view. At Jambo House only, all of the rooms in this booking category have a pool view. All of the Jambo House rooms facing the parking lot are smaller so they are classified as Value rooms. At Kidani Village, the Standard View villas will have a view of the pool, a garden area or a parking lot.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: BLT, BWV, BCV and VGC

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

It doesn't matter for the studio, but for the 1BR and 2BR rooms, they sleep 1 less than the rest of the categories at AKV (but the same as at other DVC resorts except BLT - the latest rooms include a sleeper chair to accomodate a 5th/9th person)

OKW rooms may be comparable on point cost - maybe a few points higher over several days, depending on the season.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

GeoMouse is offline B-Ticket Holder

I can't speak for the Studio, but I had stayed at a 1-Bedroom Value room at AKL Jambo house a while back with a couple of friends, and actually was Ok with not going for the standard or the Savanna view since we were not in the room very much. If you don't think you will be spending a whole lot of time in the rooms, I would suggest going value...would at least save some points.

Even though you won't get the Savanna view from your room, there are plenty of spots at the resort that offer excellent views and vantage points so that you definitely won't miss the animals. In fact, we did a video segment on one of our friend's favorite spot at Jambo House a while back. Included the vid below in case you were interested in checking this place out when you go! Regardless of what you decide, have a blast!

Be11e is offline C-Ticket Holder

Thanks for clarifying the view thing. I wasn't aware of those differences. How many beds does a value studio have?
    Next Trip: January 2012
    All-Star Sports for Marathon Weekend
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2004 - Disney Cruise Line, Magic
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

GeoMouse is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Be11e View Post
    Thanks for clarifying the view thing. I wasn't aware of those differences. How many beds does a value studio have?

1 Bed and 1 sleeper sofa.

Googelibear is offline A-Ticket holder

I'd like to ask another question, if I may
    when renting points during the very quietest seasons, is it possible to request and be given an upgrade to a more interesting view?
    I am not interested in getting something for nothing, I only want to have a nicer view in the same room category.

thanks

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by Googelibear View Post
    I'd like to ask another question, if I may
    when renting points during the very quietest seasons, is it possible to request and be given an upgrade to a more interesting view?
    I am not interested in getting something for nothing, I only want to have a nicer view in the same room category.

thanks
    Given the current way they pre-assign rooms, changing rooms can be difficult. Even "quiet" seasons can be busy at some DVC resorts. You can always ask.

A couple of years ago we had requested a particular view at Jambo House (shortly before they opened Kidani). We didn't get it, but given that our room wasn't even ready I asked that since we have to wait anyways, isn't it possible to wait for the view we wanted? They hemmed and hawed for a while, but then said they could do it...and after quite a while getting it straightened out, when we returned that night to go to our room - they had put us in the same room we were originally assigned that we didn't want. Was really not happy.

Note that a "savannah view" room is a category. A "nicer view" within a category would basically be a view in a different direction.

Upgrades between categories is extremely rare. DVC does not overbook categories. It usually requires a significant maintenance issue and no other available rooms in a category to get upgraded.

(and as an FYI to DVC Mike - I believe there are now a couple rooms that used to be considered savannah view that are now standard view in Jambo House, that aren't of the pool. They reclassified a few due to them not having as good a view as the category suggests. Our room I believe was one of them...)
    Last edited by doconeill; 01-13-2012 at 07:19 AM.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Googelibear is offline A-Ticket holder

Many thanks to you, Doc. I got my answer clear and precise. Exactly what I was looking for