Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss "Disney's Doorway to Dreams" store visit in the Vacation Planning forums; For the apparent lack of anything better to do my (rare) day off today, I decided to take an early morning 45-mile drive out to the Roosevelt Field Mall on ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

"Disney's Doorway to Dreams" store visit

For the apparent lack of anything better to do my (rare) day off today, I decided to take an early morning 45-mile drive out to the Roosevelt Field Mall on Long Island to finally check out Disney's first Doorway to Dreams store. There is a small lobby where you're schmoozed by a greeter, then you're taken inside where you are, once again, 'welcomed home'. The store has two full-scale model layouts of the new Bay Lake villas, one for the studio and one for a one-bedroom.

The studio has a the bathroom sink outside the toilet area, in the pantry, on the opposite wall from the mini kitchen sink, mini fridge and microwave. The room is spacious and comes with a flat screen TV. There was also a mock up of the balcony, complete with Magic Kingdom view, and all of the rooms have piped in music so you can experience the fire works without experiencing the crowds and the trip back to your room.

From there, they walked me through the one-bedroom. These rooms all have dual-entrances to the single balcony, one from the bedroom and one from the living room. There is an island area for preparing food or for eating, as well as an L-shaped bench style seating with a couple of extra chairs. The couch opens as well as the lounge chair, which is a new addition to Old Key West and Bay Lake, where the living rooms are the most spacious. A nice addition to this hotel is that there are two toilets (in two seperate rooms, obviously), both with nice showers. The shower off the bedroom has both an overhead rain showerhead and a stylish jet shower head on the wall. The oversized spas are now jetstream tubs.

I was impressed with the layouts, and according to my tour guide, the points aren't as bad as I expected. I might have to check out this hotel next time around! We wandered into the actual hotel last week from the bridge off the Contemporary balcony (behind some guests staying there, since you need a cardkey to get in) and the building was nice, though we couldn't access the 16th floor lounge and pool areas because we needed a key to get up there. Didn't think to ask for a tour, which we should have, but today's trip to the mall was nice, too. Plus, they gave me a great 2009 DVC pewter tree ornament in a red velvet drawstring bag... a great touch... just for stopping in to say hi.

wdwfns2 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: "Disney's Doorway to Dreams" store visit

Glad you enjoyed the Tour. We purchased our DVC membership back in 2007 at the Woodfield Mall Doorway to Dreams in Schaumburg Illinois. At the time of purchase it was designed as the Animal Kingdom Villas at Kidani Village. We have since gone back and visited and they now have it converted to the Bay Lake Tower only the walls weren't angled out like the BLT rooms are because of structural confinements from the mall. I never thought we would want to stay at BLT until we toured the model. As it turns out we got lucky and our wish came true. We will be staying at the BLT with a Lake view this coming June. (gotta love the wait list)
    If you do want to buy into DVC but the points seem a little steep you could also visit DVC by Resale. There are pros and cons to buying from them just as there are if you buy directly from Disney. Look at all your options first. For us, our best deal was buying at the Doorway to Dreams (we bought into Saratoga Springs) You could also go back and ask if they are still selling points at the Saratoga Springs Treehouses or Animal Kingdom Villas. Sometimes those points sell for less that the BLT points go for.

Good Luck!
    Day 1 WDW Radio
    Keep to the code

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: "Disney's Doorway to Dreams" store visit

Thanks for the feedback! I am actually a DVC member, with my home resort being Wilderness Lodge. I was curious to see what a newer room looked like (Wilderness could use some sprucing up, besides just the flat screen TV's that they added). We always tack on one day at Saratoga Springs, part because it's newer and cleaner, and part because it's within walking distance of DTD.