Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss January 27, 2011 Aulani Construction update photos in the Vacation Planning forums; Photos taken today, January 27, 2011, a little over 7 months to opening. http://www.flickr.com/photos/f...4514367/ Wasn't able to get into the Ihilani resort next door. The place was locked down due ...
    coconut wireles is offline B-Ticket Holder

January 27, 2011 Aulani Construction update photos

Photos taken today, January 27, 2011, a little over 7 months to opening. http://www.flickr.com/photos/f...4514367/
    Wasn't able to get into the Ihilani resort next door. The place was locked down due to the NFL players staying there during the Pro Bowl that is this weekend. I wasn't able to get any shots looking into the construction site from the higher vantage points.
    Host of the Meandering Mouse Club TV and Trapped in Paradise video podcasts.

Hong Kong and Tokyo Disneyland Resort June 2007, Walt Disney World December 2007, Disneyland (Original Anaheim Kingdom) May 2009, Disneyland Paris Resort October 2008.

Veteran of all 11 global theme parks

Rtobe is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: January 27, 2011 Aulani Construction update photos

Thanks for posting. I am in Honolulu this week on business and saw an ad to call for tour. Do you know anything about the tour?

They will pick you up, esp if you are in Waikiki and bring you out to the leeward coast. Can be an hour travel depending on traffic. They'll bring to to their office in the shopping center across the street and then bring you over via golf cart to the models which overlook the beach. Not including tour time, round trip travel could be anywhere from 60 minutes to over two hours due to traffic.

They have a kiosk at the Ala Moana center, second floor right above center stage. New Disney Aulani kiosk at Ala Moana Shopping Center | Flickr - Photo Sharing! You can go by there to talk to people and book a tour as well. Of the people that I have met there, Julie is the most outgoing and friendliest of the bunch.

Hong Kong and Tokyo Disneyland Resort June 2007, Walt Disney World December 2007, Disneyland (Original Anaheim Kingdom) May 2009, Disneyland Paris Resort October 2008.

Thanks for the information. I wound up driving out there since I had a car. The model rooms were beautiful almost succumbed to adding on. Got to see the pro bowl team buses leave for the stadium. Stopped in Kapolei for a quick trip to Safeway to re-stock hotel room.

Hope to get back there.

How did you find the drive traffic wise and ability to find the place?

Since you were there during the pro bowl you weren't able to get into Ihilani to look into the site. Bummer on that.

In general, what did you think of the look and the location?

Traffic was not a problem - Sunday, 9 AM appointment. I was sad that I could not get into the Marriott but had fun just walking around - especially since this was the first time I was visiting Ko Olina. and only the second time I have visited Hawaii.

In general the site looks like it will be nice. I wonder how the beach will handle the resort crowd if both Aulani and Marriott guests are there. When standing looking at the front from the street it seems like the area to the left was open for more development. I also think that the street between Marriott and Aulani will need a traffic light so you can cross it safely to get to the stores and restaurants across the way.

It will be interesting to see your photos from mid-March just to see how much more is done.

One thing that surprised me (probably because I didn't think about it) was how tall the buildings seemed and that you could see them from before exiting the highway to head into Ko Olina. That sent a little tingle of excitement up my spine.

After my tour and wandering around a little I decided to play in the lagoon. It was nice until the 15 min downpour started But I got to have a small plate lunch at the BBQ place below the DVC offices which was a nice treat.

My guide was very helpful and nice but I think she knew I was looking and probably not purchasing at this time.