Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Is DVC worth it? in the Vacation Planning forums; I have been pondering DVC for about a year now. Would love some input on the program. Everyone I talk to who is DVC raves about it. I love Disney ...
    Trueloveskiss is offline A-Ticket holder

Is DVC worth it?

I have been pondering DVC for about a year now. Would love some input on the program.

Everyone I talk to who is DVC raves about it. I love Disney and plan to go back yearly (or every other year) and we typically stay in deluxe hotels. I just cringe at the upfront cost. It seems a lot of money to put down for lodging. I was wondering if DVC members get the same perks that Disney offers others (free dining, room discounts)? We booked at the Beach Club Villas for 40% off this September. Would I have gotten the same discount if I was DVC? Do DVC members get free dining when offered?

Would like some honest feedback about the pros and cons about the program. I like the idea...but something holds me back from jumping in.

Thanks!

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Is DVC worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Trueloveskiss View Post
    I have been pondering DVC for about a year now. Would love some input on the program.

Everyone I talk to who is DVC raves about it. I love Disney and plan to go back yearly (or every other year) and we typically stay in deluxe hotels. I just cringe at the upfront cost. It seems a lot of money to put down for lodging. I was wondering if DVC members get the same perks that Disney offers others (free dining, room discounts)? We booked at the Beach Club Villas for 40% off this September. Would I have gotten the same discount if I was DVC? Do DVC members get free dining when offered?

Would like some honest feedback about the pros and cons about the program. I like the idea...but something holds me back from jumping in.

Thanks!
    We've looked into it a few trips back....we did the tour, first time, and we were going to split the cost with our daughter and son-in-law.....it's the maintenance fees that turn us off...paying the full year and only using the resort for a week makes the payoff a long term deal.

We've done 44 trips so far and almost all were deluxe....should have bought into DVC a long long time ago, but first...it wasn't available then....money was dofferent then and you never know if you're really in love woth Disney to make that kind of commitment....

We also don't like the double points used for weekends...we like trips of 9-12 nights, hence buying more points....we didn't see any added perks for buying...discounted tiskets or annual passes, food discounts, entertainment discounts....so bottom line: we still go, still stay deluxe, always travel in value season and get decent room only discounts and we usually have annual passes and go down twice a year to get a good value for the annual passes.....far cry from the huge layout for DVC....just about given up thinking about buying but if we were younger and interested...we'd look into the resale offers other than from Disney....alot cheaper but a few years less in ownership....

BamaEd1 is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks!
    We have been DVC Members for four years and love it. It is one of the best decisions we have ever made. We actually financed our points so the upfront costs were spread out. We own at Animal Kingdom Villas; your maintenence fees are based on where you own. We pay about $250 per month for our "mortgage" and our fees. To directly answer your question about the promotions that Disney offers, no you don't get most of them. You do get an annual pass discount and a few other perks but not free dining and such.

DVC works when you plan your vacations out in advance; not so much for spur of the moment trips. I have yet to see a "points" discount for your villa so a lot of members go during down-times when points are the lowest in order to maximize their value. I hope this helps a little!

disneynurse is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm still on the fence about investing in DVC. I love the idea and I have so many people tell me that they love it. I'm thinking about doing DVC by resale instead of buying through Disney so I can have Saratoga Springs be my "home base."

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

In a word, "no". It is not worth it. However, I was given the DVC as a Christmas gift a few years back so I use it each year. I'm not paying any of the fees, so for me it's worth it. And now that we're in, Disney owns us for the next 50 years. If I were buying it, I would never join on my own. Then again, I also wouldn't be able to stay in the Wilderness Lodge for a week every single year, either. So...
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

It all amounts to how often you go, or plan to go to Disney. If you go or plan to go every year or every other year, it does pay for itself fairly quickly. We joined in 2004 have been going to WDW once a year since 2000. When we finally made the decision to join we figured that DVC would have paid for itelf by the 6th trip had we joined in 2000. There are definite advantages such as staying at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club or Boardwalk, places we never would have stayed at.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

DebšošS is offline There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday!
    1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home" resort Boardwalk Villas

.......... I like the idea...but something holds me back from jumping in.
    We've had DVC at The Boardwalk Villas since 1998. We bought a resale saving quite a bit. It's been well worth it for us. I've used it to take 4 cruises, given a week as a wedding gift and traveled at least once a year. The last few years every 4 months for a few days.
    I remember when OKW was first offered, I think '91. I was very interested but it took me until 1998 and staying at the BWV a few times before we decided to go for it.
    It sounds to me like you still need time to think about it. It's easier to buy than it is to sell.