Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Entry cost for a DVC membership in the Vacation Planning forums; It's pretty obvious to me that my family are all Disney junkies so I've been thinking about DVC. I know there are plenty of kiosks in the parks and DTD ...
    ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Entry cost for a DVC membership

It's pretty obvious to me that my family are all Disney junkies so I've been thinking about DVC. I know there are plenty of kiosks in the parks and DTD that have booklets, cast members that have all the positives, and none of the negatives memorized but I want to get info from people who have a DVC membership or know people who have one. Are there different levels of entry? How much does it cost to buy in?

Info, advice and links are welcome
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

DVCByResale is offline A-Ticket holder

Thumbs up Re: Entry cost for a DVC membership

Hi David,

I'm a resale broker so I'll admit I'm partial to the secondary market but you can get started learning about the DVC on our FAQ page here: http://www.dvcbyresale.com/page.php/...ed%20Questions

Let me know if I can help with any specific questions.

All the best,
    Shontell
    Shontell Crawford
    Lic. Real Estate Broker

DVC By Resale
    1-800-844-4099
    shontell@dvcbyresale.com

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: Entry cost for a DVC membership

If you want to buy direct from Disney, the minimum contract still 160 points I believe. The cost of those points depends on which resort you are buying in at. I think current new purchases are in the $120-130/point range...perhaps a bit cheaper at AKV if they are still actively selling there.

Another factor is the annual dues/maintenance fees/taxes. That varies widely by resort, and they increase over the years. THe non-park resorts like Aulani, Vero Beach, etc. tend to be more expensive for that, and for WDW resorts I believe Boardwalk leads the costs, with Saratoga and BLT being at the lower end.

Buying resale, you can get in for less points, and generally cheaper, especially at the "sold out" resorts. However, Disney started placing restrictions on resale contracts. Since March 2011, contracts purchased at resale cannot have their points traded within the Disney system for stays at other non-DVC Disney resorts, cruises or ABD trips, or the "concierge" collection. You can still trade into the external systems like RCI. This doesn't matter to a lot, since using points for a lot of those trades aren't generally a good value vs. cash prices.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

shelbell77 is offline Deck 7 Cool Kid!

Disney isn't necessarily sticking to the old 160 point rule lately. I have a friend who bought just 75 last fall during a special promo. I bought my BWV in April and they said I could buy as little as 100.

Price per point depends on where you want to buy and what incentives are going on at the time.
    -----------------------------------------------

Shelley
    Are you 23??? I am!!

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

either way, it's a great deal. Been a DVC member since 1994 and the best money I ever spent..... I've lost tons in the stock market yet I still have amazing vacations at DVC resorts! Glad I spent money there.... I now have 4 kids and we travel in luxury.... DVC resorts are beautiful and I've stayed in all but Hilton Head here on the east coast. Now that we are going to homeschool this next year, I look forward to going at off times and extending our points over more trips!
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!