Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss DVC & Non-Disney Properties - Worth it? in the Vacation Planning forums; So we are on the fence on a DVC buy in. Teetering REALLY close to making the plunge. But a lot of online reports are saying trading your points for ...
    VGL_Lynx is offline B-Ticket Holder

DVC & Non-Disney Properties - Worth it?

So we are on the fence on a DVC buy in. Teetering REALLY close to making the plunge. But a lot of online reports are saying trading your points for non-Disney properties is a waste. What do DVC OWNERS actually have to say about this? Have you used your points at non-Disney properties and did you think it was "worth it?"

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: DVC & Non-Disney Properties - Worth it?

I have not use them at the non-DVC resorts, because I DO believe it is a waste of points.

The standard resort room is roughly the equivalent of a DVC studio.

Looking at the 2013 charts, a studio at Beach Club Villas, for a Deluxe Resort location example, runs 15-28 points per night, depending on day of week and time of year.

A standard room at the Yacht Club, on DVC points, ranges 39-60 points. 100-160% higher points cost, for an equivalent room. And it's higher if you want a water/pool view or club room. For less points, you can get a 1 Bedroom which has a full kitchen at BCV.

Edit: Re-reading, you are referring to "Non-Disney" properties - are you referring to trading through RCI, etc.? I have not done that either, but I understand it can be problematic in general, plus you pay a fee.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator and more
    New: Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: DVC & Non-Disney Properties - Worth it?

your best value is at a DVC. you can also have a good value on DCL as well.... but if you can't get to a DVC, you can at least use the points elsewhere. I've been a member since 1994 and its the best money I ever spent. I've lost tons of money in 2 stock market corrections but I've never lost the value of my DVC points. We have added on 4 times since 1994.... best money I ever invested! you will travel in a manner that others only dream of doing... we have a 2BR everytime with full kitchen, W/D, etc. It's like being at "home" while gazing upon Cinderella Castle (we are at BLT with Magic Kingdom view right now). It's worthh it if you plan on coming to disney every other year at minimum
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!