Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ohiodisneydad
  • 1 Post By doconeill
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Seriously Considering in the Vacation Planning forums; I am seriously considering becoming a Disney Vacation Club member. I know all of the details as far as the pricing and and of the legal stuff, but really want ...
    RTroy29035 is offline A-Ticket holder

Seriously Considering

I am seriously considering becoming a Disney Vacation Club member. I know all of the details as far as the pricing and and of the legal stuff, but really want to hear from people who are or have been Disney Vacation Club members.

Did you find real value in being a member? Were there any hidden costs that you did not expect? Where there any perks to being a member? If you ended up selling your membership, why? And most important knowing what you
    know know would you join again? Why or why not?

I am a self described "Disney Geek" and travel to the "World" at least twice a year.

Any insight or information that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Randy T.

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

Re: Seriously Considering

If you think you'll be going once a year consistently, it's a good deal. We joined in 2004, and the math worked out that it paid for itself by our 4th trip (originally bought 150 points). When you add an Annual Pass to the mix, after you pay off the points, look at effectively no cost for lodging and then the travel , pass and "extras" costs. Perks wise the discounts are Higher for Annual pass Holders than DVC, but that's pretty minor. Overall costs are laid out pretty clearly no surprises there. We're happy we joioned and ended up purchasing additional points.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

40turning7 is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    If you think you'll be going once a year consistently, it's a good deal. We joined in 2004, and the math worked out that it paid for itself by our 4th trip (originally bought 150 points). When you add an Annual Pass to the mix, after you pay off the points, look at effectively no cost for lodging and then the travel , pass and "extras" costs. Perks wise the discounts are Higher for Annual pass Holders than DVC, but that's pretty minor. Overall costs are laid out pretty clearly no surprises there. We're happy we joioned and ended up purchasing additional points.

We purchased last year (Dec/Jan) banked some points and have our first booked stay for Nov. Consider your home resort choice since you can book those well in advance. Our stay in Nov had us converting to regular disney property instead of DVC since they were all booked, including our home resort. Our visit in April of next year, however, was no problem booking at Kidani (home resort) back in July. If you use the dining plan you can add it up to your arrival date without tickets, which is nice if you are not going into the park everyday. The washer/drying is nice to have - allowed us to pack less last year when we stayed at Kidani. Only surprise cost is the yearly fee but you can spread that out in monthly if you want. Nice discount on annual passes as well. We are going in Nov and April so by buying a discount DVC member annual pass we save over $400 on tickets.

Wish you the best in your decision

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

If you go twice a year it could be VERY good deal, although it can depend on what class of room you stay in (if you are satisfied by the price and quality of the value resorts, for instance) and whether you take opportunistic deals like Free Dining (no such thing on the DVC side). It can be a complicated math problem, as you need to figure out how many points you would need for your typical stays at the resorts you'd want, probably add in a fudge factor (point charts can vary somewhat), purchase those points, and also pay dues and taxes on those points. Then factor in inflation on the dues and taxes vs. the standard room costs you typically pay, over the life of the contract (depends on the resort you buy in to).
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by RTroy29035 View Post
    I am seriously considering becoming a Disney Vacation Club member. I know all of the details as far as the pricing and and of the legal stuff, but really want to hear from people who are or have been Disney Vacation Club members.

Did you find real value in being a member? Were there any hidden costs that you did not expect? Where there any perks to being a member? If you ended up selling your membership, why? And most important knowing what you
    know know would you join again? Why or why not?

I am a self described "Disney Geek" and travel to the "World" at least twice a year.

Any insight or information that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Randy T.
    I have been a member since 1994..... so I can say with confidence this is the best thing I have ever purchased. I have been thru several stock market corrections as well as housing price corrections, yet my DVC price has remained the same. The fact I purchased this as a single woman and now have 4 kids, is the best decision I have ever made. Prepaying vacations is the way to go if Disney is your destination. Many folks ask us, including family, why do you still go to Disney year after year? it's cheaper than where THEY go ( we have prepaid our vacations) and we stay at 4-5 star resorts.... unlike our friends.... years later, folks are jealous of our lifestyle.... which isn't a lifestyle yet rather a purchase choice years before. You won't recoupe your initial investment quickly, but will with time. We now travel in a style my kiddos can't imagine not experiencing in their adulthood.... yet they must purchase their OWN DVC points to continue to travel in this style. for I plan on taking grandkiddos in the future! LOL. For any person loving Disney parks, DVC is a no brainer. Many can state cons for time shares, but Disney is different due to flexibility. I've lost tons of money in the market and in retirement funds, yet I can go to Disney with my family twice annually for a fixed price... and that is PRICELESS......
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

I've kicked it around as well. My brain set up doesn't allow me to understand the whole buying/accumulating points or the home resort thing. I did however get an offer in the mail from DVC to do a "phone tour" in exchange for a $40 Disney gift card. Maybe I'll do that.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I've kicked it around as well. My brain set up doesn't allow me to understand the whole buying/accumulating points or the home resort thing. I did however get an offer in the mail from DVC to do a "phone tour" in exchange for a $40 Disney gift card. Maybe I'll do that.
    Here's how I try and explain the whole points/home resort thing...buckets.

When you get a DVC contract at a particular resort, you get a whole lot of buckets, and your points are stones in the buckets. Each Use Year has two main buckets, and a few smaller and less used buckets.

One is your Current bucket, in which that use Year's points are deposited, per your contract (i.e. if you have 160 points at SSR, you'll have 160 points in the Current bucket for each Use Year until the end of the contract. To simplify things, you don't need to think of the buckets more than a couple years ahead in general.

The other bucket is your Banked/Borrowed bucket. It starts out empty.

Use Years are often referred to by a month name - this is the month in which your Use Year starts. Say you have an "October" Use Year. Your 2013 Use Year runs from October 1st, 2013 - September 30th, 2014. When making a reservation for days within that Use Year, you can use points from either the 2013 Current or Banked/Borrowed buckets. Typically you used the Banked/Borrowed points first, as once they are in that bucket, they can never normally move from that bucket to another -they MUST be used or they disappear at the end of the Use Year.

How do points get in that bucket if it starts out empty?

If you are not going to use all your points in the Current bucket before the end of the Use Year, you can choose to Bank them into the next Use Year. They go into that UY's Banked/Borrowed bucket. It is a one-way transaction - you can't bring them back if you decided suddenly to make a reservation, but you can instead borrow that UY's Current points into the previous UY if needed.

If you don't have enough Banked/Borrowed and Current points in the UY in which you want to make a reservation, you can borrow points from the following UY's Current bucket. Those points go into the reservation UY's Banked/Borrowed bucket. Again, this is a one-way transaction. Once borrowed, they can't be put back. They need to be used in the UY they were borrowed to, or they will be lost.

So ANY points in a given year's Banked/Borrowed bucket but be used by a reservation in that UY. That is why you want to use them first. In theory, Borrowed points are already spoken for by a reservation, but if you cancel that reservation, they go back in the bucket.

Between the Current and Banked/Borrowed buckets, your maximum points available for a reservation is no more than 3x your yearly allotment of points. That's the limits of accumulation.

There are a couple of minor buckets, like "Holding", which is where points go for a reservation canceled less than 30 days from the check-in date, and they have additional restrictions.

As for the Home Resort thing...points for a given resort can be used at that specific resort as far as 11 months out. So, if your Home Resort is SSR, today you can make a reservation up to October 21st, 2014 at SSR.

You can book a reservation at ANY DVC resort up to 7 months out. So today you can book instead at Beach Club Villas through June 21st, 2014.

If you have more than one contract, at different resorts, then each of them has separate buckets. From months 7-11, you can only use points from the buckets for that particular resort to book a reservation. Once you are inside 7 months, you can use points from any of the buckets.

It gets harder to manage if you have different Use Years months on your different contracts, which is possible if you purchase through a resale channel instead of through DVC directly. DVC will always sell you points with the same UY you already have.

I hope that explains things more clearly. It probably doesn't.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Kinda helps. But now I'm keenly aware that I am in desperate need of a new brining bucket for holiday turkeys!

It does help but I don't understand how much does all this cost me?
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Kinda helps. But now I'm keenly aware that I am in desperate need of a new brining bucket for holiday turkeys!

It does help but I don't understand how much does all this cost me?
    Sorry, I didn't get notified of a reply, and haven't been back since...

There is of course the original outlay - the price per point for X points in the contract. I think are somewhere north of $130/point for the currently selling resort(s). Of course, there is the resale market where you can get them cheaper, but that's another ball of wax.

What people first looking in to this and forgetting about is the fees and taxes. You pay real estate tax on the portion of the real estate you own (tax deductible on your own taxes), and annual fees which vary by resort. They go up a little each year too, to cover maintenance, etc. SSR I think is a little less than $5/point.

And then, of course, is the price of tickets and travel, now that you can potentially go more frequently.

A very small portion is offset by various discounts as a DVC member, etc.
    Doc

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Boy, I really wonder sometime how many members never knew what they were getting themselves into. Of Course some do but there has to be a chunk that bought on a whim vs a real well thought out business transaction.

I've never wanted to invest and tie up that in a DVC. What I'd like to try sometime when we can all go at once is renting points. If I was going to purchase a DVC it would have been for those years when my kids were young. Now with college and jobs the thought of 40 some years of investment, oy. Renting could be just expensive enough for me.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

I actually just put in an offer with a DVC resale company for 50 points at the Wilderness Lodge. Whether that offer is accepted or not remains to be seen. If it's not accepted I will more than likely purchase the 50 points anyway for the asking price. It's not going to break the bank and I figure is a good way to get our "feet wet" in the DVC experience without the exuberant prices that Disney would charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorhead View Post
    I actually just put in an offer with a DVC resale company for 50 points at the Wilderness Lodge. Whether that offer is accepted or not remains to be seen. If it's not accepted I will more than likely purchase the 50 points anyway for the asking price. It's not going to break the bank and I figure is a good way to get our "feet wet" in the DVC experience without the exuberant prices that Disney would charge.
    Keep in mind there are two "acceptance" stages. Once the seller accepts your offer, they then have to submit the same offer to DVC, which has "right of first refusal" (ROFR). If DVC thinks the price is too low, or they have a need for the points (people asking for that resort through direct sales), DVC can exercise their right and purchase the points back for that amount.
    Doc