Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Disney Vacation Club Discuss DVC Members... in the Vacation Planning forums; Our little community here at DWT seems to be growing more each day. I was wondering how many of you are DVC members and also who might be interested in ...
    MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player

DVC Members...

Our little community here at DWT seems to be growing more each day.

I was wondering how many of you are DVC members and also who might be interested in becoming members, such as I am.

Let us know who you are, what resort(s) do you call home, how long you have been members and what drew you to the DVC.

Posting pictures of the resorts would be nice too.

I am hoping by the time I become a member we might have a nice little DVC group here.

We look forward to hearing your stories....

Last edited by MickeyBabe; 06-17-2004 at 11:21 AM.
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I am a DVC member. We own points at VWL (our original purchase) and BWV (through the resale market). Oh, I guess I'm used to posting on another DVC board, so in case you didn't know:

VWL = Villas at Wilderness Lodge
    BWV = Boardwalk Villas

We bought into the Club in late 2001 and have made three trips...and feel it is one of the best investments we've ever made. When I say investment, I don't mean something that will increase in value. I mean that we invested in quality family vacations.

What drew us to DVC? We really enjoyed our stays at Wilderness Lodge. In fact, we used to call it "home" since it fit us so perfectly. Then when they built a DVC resort attached to it, it was a no brainer to us. All the amenities of the WL but even nicer accommodations! Perfect fit!!

Then we decided we wanted more points so we could stay in larger accommodations, so we bought at BWV. It is completely different from VWL, and we enjoy it immensely as well with its easy walk to two parks.

We look forward to staying at the other on-site DVC resorts some day, but for now have truly enjoyed VWL and BWV. Maybe we'll branch out next year to some of the other resorts!
    Last edited by Goofy Guy; 06-18-2004 at 08:20 AM.
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    :mickey:
    Me and my family have been members since 2002.

Our home resorts are Beach Club Villas and we just recently purchased into Saratoga Springs. We joined after my brother-in-law took us down to Boardwalk and that was all it took. We are looking forward to staying at Saratoga next year as well as going for a weekend at Vero Beach.

DVCLVR is offline A-Ticket holder

Smile

My DW and I joined in 2002 at the BCV. Since then we have added on at VWL and SSR. We have really enjoyed being DVC members and wish we had bought in sooner. Is anybody here thinking of going on the member cruise in September of next year? We went to the member homecoming in May and had a great time meeting other DVC'ers.

DVCLVR is offline A-Ticket holder
    :mickey: Here's a link to my pictures of Saratoga Springs Resort. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286528827 Hope it works!
    Why Do I Perpetually Daydream about Disney World?

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    BWV owner since 2000. My only regrets are not buying sooner and wishing I had more points.

I'm not planning on the member cruise myself, but I have heard of others thinking about on DVC boards/lists.

Has any DVCer attended the yearly meetings they hold for each DVC property in Nov/Dec? I noticed we'll be there during the time, and was wondering if was something I should attend or not.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

turtleclanscott is offline C-Ticket Holder
    My wife and I have been DVC members for over 3 years. Our home resort is Vero Beach (which is wonderful). We usually stay at Old Key West, but have also stayed at Beach Club Villas (love the location) and Wilderness Lodge Villas (love the feel of Wilderness Lodge).

Old Key West is the best value for our points, and is a very nice resort. We like to stay at Old Turtle Pond Road. (That was the beginning of the 'Turtle Clan'.)

I've attached a couple of pictures of Vero Beach. If you go during the summer, do the Turtle Walk with the Carribean Conservation people. There was a note about it in one of the Member's Update. We got to see and touch a nesting sea turtle. You make a donation to the group, and they take you to a quiet area of the island late at night. It was the highlight of our trip!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DVC Members...-vero-beach.jpg   DVC Members...-vero-beach-pool.jpg  
    Turtleclan Scott
    DVC Member Since 2001

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Scott.... What a great place!

We would love the turtle walk and to see the nesting turtles. And such a great story behind your screen name.

~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

huskybear is offline C-Ticket Holder
    the resort looks beautiful.
    George

We really weren't sure if we would really want to use our points anywhere but WDW, but we went when my wife was pregnant, and really loved Vero Beach. It's so much smaller than the on property resorts. I don't quite think it gets the TLC of the property resorts (the mini golf course wasn't in very good condition), but the CMs were all wonderful! We went back to Shutter's for a second meal (after enjoying the first one) and the server immediately recognized us. The CMs seemed even more like family. I've always thought that about Old Key West also. I think it may have something to do with it being exclusively a DVC resort (Unlike the Wilderness Lodge Villas or Boardwalk Villas).

Anyway, we're looking forward to going back and taking our daughter to the beach!
    Turtleclan Scott
    DVC Member Since 2001

We are thinking about going there for the weekend after we go to WDW Resort. My son and daughter want to go to a beach. Any suggestions on what to do at Vero Beach???
    Eric

We didn't have near as much time as we would have liked at Vero Beach when we went in June 03. Our trip was delayed due to weather at home.

We ate at Shutter's twice. It's a full service restaurant with a good variety of food, making eating there twice a good option. They have thin crust pizza, sea food, steak, chicken, pasta, sandwiches, and meatloaf. The service and the food was wonderful. They have a great salsa corn chowder that everyone enjoyed. (They will let you sample a bit if you ask!) They also have a Saturday character breakfast, but we didn't go.

We spent a day relaxing at the resort. We went to the beach, spent some time at the pool, and played mini golf. They have a 9-hole mini golf course.

The next day, we drove to Kennedy Space Center. It's about an hour drive from Vero Beach. It's neat, but (in my opinion) a little pricey. It is definately worth seeing once; however, this was my third time.

Our first evening, we had reservations for the Caribbean Conservation Corporation (CCC) Sea Turtle Session. It was amazing! We met in the lobby at 8:30pm for a presentation to teach the 15 or so guests a little about the sea turtles. We then all boarded vans and went to the Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge (about 10 miles north of the resort.) The CCC had scouts walking the beach looking for a turtle. There was a turtle nesting a couple hundred yards up the beach. We waited until the turtle has started laying her eggs, so we wouldn't scare her. As the turtle was laying her eggs, we quietly approached from behind her. They have a special red light, so we could watch her lay her eggs. We could touch the turtles shell. There are microscopic organisms on the shell that light up when you touch them. After she layed her eggs, she filled the nest with sand and scattered sand to hide the scent. She slowly returned to the water. The whole experience was the most extraordinary things I have ever done! The CCC evening was (I think) about $20 per person, but it included a year membership to the CCC including an 'adopted' sea turtle certificate and their newsletter. Disney also does a turtle walk with a park ranger. This is free, but you have to goto a 'lottery' where everyone puts there room key into a bowl and they draw rooms. After doing the CCC turtle walk, this one was disappointing. It was on the beach right in front of the resort, so people who didn't 'win' the lottery just followed everyone else. It was too crowded to see anything. Also, the ranger didn't seem as knowledgable about the turtles as the CCC representative.

That's all we did at Vero Bech, but there is also tennis, bicycle rentals, basketball, a neat looking campfire program in the evening for the kids, a fitness center, sauna/massage, and a nature walk.

We're looking forward to our next trip so we can see more!
    Turtleclan Scott
    DVC Member Since 2001

Here are a few more pictures...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DVC Members...-vero-beach-inside-room.jpg   DVC Members...-vero-beach-mini-golf.jpg   DVC Members...-vero-beach-pool-2.jpg  
    Turtleclan Scott
    DVC Member Since 2001

Thanks for the info. Hopefully we will make it down there this year. That Sea Turtle Session sounds like fun. Is that tour all the time or just certain seasons? Also has anyone heard anything about hurricane damage there?
    Eric

We saw the turtles in early June, but I don't know when the nesting season starts or ends. The eggs hatch and the baby turtles go to the sea during the fall sometime, but I don't know if they do anything for that.

As for hurricane damage, I know they have been closed since the storms and don't expect to open before mid-November. So I'd imagine the damage was very extensive.
    Turtleclan Scott
    DVC Member Since 2001

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast