Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss "Renting" points? in the Vacation Planning forums; During chat the other night, someone mentioned "renting" DVC points from a member, since we were thinking of staying at BWV, BCV or WLV when we go in September (likely ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

"Renting" points?

During chat the other night, someone mentioned "renting" DVC points from a member, since we were thinking of staying at BWV, BCV or WLV when we go in September (likely 9/10-9/18).

Can anyone explain this process to me, as I'm unfamiliar with it. I don't really feel all that comfortable with letting someone book my room, etc., but I'm open-minded and curious. (especially if it saves big bucks!)

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Lou... while I have never rented points, this may help you....

http://www.wdwinfo.com/dvc/RentTrade-FAQ.htm

Last edited by MickeyBabe; 06-21-2004 at 09:53 AM.
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    Can anyone explain this process to me, as I'm unfamiliar with it. I don't really feel all that comfortable with letting someone book my room, etc., but I'm open-minded and curious. (especially if it saves big bucks!)
    Lou...if you are going to stay at a DVC resort, this is by far the most economical way to do so. You won't find codes or discounts that approach the DVC point rental savings.

However...you are correct. There is a risk involved, from both the renter and rentee's viewpoints.

The person renting the points has to rely on the member to book the reservation for them. Proof of this is easy as they can fax the confirmation sheet, and the person renting can call the resort to verify the reservation. However, the person renting the points can also cancel at any time. That's the risk to the person renting the points.

As for the person who owns the points, he/she has the right to be paid up front in full...at least 45-60 days in advance of the reservation date. This is because if someone decides to cancel on them, they are stuck with points that go into a holding account and can expire.

The DIS Boards have a good and active DVC point renting center. MBabe has done a good job of linking to the FAQ's there.

Please note that Disney nor the DIS Boards take any responsibility for any transaction done there. It's solely a mechanism to put people together for mutual benefit.

I wouldn't hesitate to rent points. But look for people who have done it before...who even can provide references. Be wary of anyone renting points with less than a few hundred posts.

Usual cost per point is about $10-15 a point, depending on who's renting them and how much they want to make. Disney does not allow people to purchase DVC for the express purpose of "selling reservations", but there are some who are extremely active in renting their points out. These tend to be the higher cost people, but also are pretty reliable because they want to keep their good reputation.

What size accommodation are you looking for? Studio? 1 Bedroom? I can look up the points and let you know what you're looking at.

For instance, a studio (typical resort room with 1 queen, 1 foldout sofa/bed, kitchenette with microwave & fridge) at VWL, would take 104 points for the one week you've mentioned (9/10-18). At $10 a point, that would equate to $1,040 (and no 11% tax on top of it!) for the week….pretty reasonable for a deluxe accommodation at a deluxe resort!

A 1BR suite for the same period would be 200 points, or about $2,000. That would be a two-room suite with a master bedroom with king bed, a deluxe bathroom with a jacuzzi and walk-in shower, a full kitchen and all the pots, pans, dishes, etc and a dishwasher, and a living room with a pull out sofa. Oh, and the unit comes with a clothes washer/dryer as well. That's a great bargain.
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Thanks for the great information GGuy!

I believe that if we do not actually buy by next summer I may rent points to expose my family to the DVC. (... a little incentive there. )

~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    MBabe...actually, that is an excellent way to help decide about DVC. Many a reluctant spouse has been swayed by a stay in a DVC villa.

Just don't stay in one you can't afford!! If you think you'd buy enough points for a 1BR, then that's the way to go. It really has the "wow factor" of the full kitchen, washer/dryer, separate master bedroom, jacuzzi, etc.

Also, I understand the new sales center at SSR is really nicely done. I'd recommend a visit there too, though sometimes they offer you time-specific offers so you might want to be closer to buying when you take the tour.
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)