Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: What is your favorite DVC Resort?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Favorite DVC Accomodations... in the Vacation Planning forums; Lou....glad you enjoyed your trip. And you point out very validly that DVC is definitely not for everyone. Personally, we don't feel like you're getting the deluxe vacation benefit until ...
    Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Lou....glad you enjoyed your trip. And you point out very validly that DVC is definitely not for everyone.

Personally, we don't feel like you're getting the deluxe vacation benefit until you get into a 1BR or larger accommodation. Once you hit that level, you have a washer/dryer in the unit and daily mousekeeping is more of a nuisance than a help. At least, that's the opinion of the vast majority of DVC owners I've talked to.

And I agree that BWV would be a very different experience than OKW. At BWV, you would feel like you are in a typical WDW resort, except the rooms are better. BCV and VWL are much the same, having added on to existing resorts.

You might find that renting point for DVC stays is a good way to enjoy these accommodations at very affordable rates from time to time, while not having to commit to DVC ownership.
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Thanks, Tom.

Please don't get me wrong - The DVC seems very nice, and I agree that we would likely have felt differently had we been able to stay at BWV like we had planned.

We had a wonderful experiece with renting points (She was so nice and helpful, and even had a basket in our room for us when we got there!), and would likely try again at BWV.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

FanOfDisney1981 is offline A-Ticket holder
    After visiting most of them, Vero Beach and Old Key West are still my favorites. It really does 'feel like home'. At Vero Beach, you feel so secluded in your own little disney world, and the peace and quiet you get there is simply unmatched! Old Key West is very simmliar to my pre-DVC days at Carribean beach. It is spread out, and you don't feel like you are in a heavily packed hotel.

turtleclanscott is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I don't miss the mousekeeping, but the only drawback with it is there are too few towels. (We had a one-bedroom with 4 people, and you run out before the Trash/Towel Service.) I though it was nice not having to worry about them coming by to clean the room while our daughter (14 months) was napping.

We're staying at Saratoga Spings in January. Has anyone else stayed there? What do you think?
    Turtleclan Scott
    DVC Member Since 2001

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by turtleclanscott
    I don't miss the mousekeeping, but the only drawback with it is there are too few towels. (We had a one-bedroom with 4 people, and you run out before the Trash/Towel Service.) I though it was nice not having to worry about them coming by to clean the room while our daughter (14 months) was napping.
    I agree about the mousekeeping. I really don't care for them to come in everyday. We like to take breaks in the afternoon.

We had plenty of towerls at BWV this past week. We stayed in a 1 bedroom villa and they gave us towels for about 6 people. FYI, the 1 bedroom sleeps 4 people. That worked out great for just the two of us. We brought our 2 of our own in case. Of course you can always just put your used towels in the washer/dryer in your unit...

I wish more hotels would realize those of us with long hair really need
    two towels, one for body and one for hair.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

flutter is offline Moderator
    Hi Manda,
    Hope you had a great time
    Tracy

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by flutter
    Hi Manda,
    Hope you had a great time
    Tracy
    Thanks Tracy!!! I loved it it, of course. 9 days at the world and there was still stuff I didn't get a chance to do. Oh well, another trip!!

Not much longer until your trip!! Have a great time!

Now I got the I'm poor and sad post disney trip blues... The only cure for the post vacation blues is...TO BOOK ANOTHER ONE!!! I gotta get on the ball and book my Paris trip this Spring and WDW next Fall.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    We have been DVC members since 1997. Our favorite DVC resort is the one where we have points - OKW.

When we first bought into DVC, we used our points to take weekend trips in a Studio. Now, we use our points for a one-week stay in a 1 BR during the Summer when the kids are out of school. For our other trips, we use AP discounts and stay all over the property, depending on what kind of deal we get.

We like OKW for a few reasons, the main one being the size of the rooms. There is such a difference between OKW and the other DVC resorts, especially in the 1 BR. When we're there for a week, the extra space really makes a difference. We also like the layout of the resort - it feels as though you're in a condo rather than a hotel. Our kids like to bring their bikes when we go, and we let them explore the resort on their own (they're 10 & 13).

OKW has a more personal feel because the majority of the people staying there are DVC members and the Cast Members remember you on return visits. At the other resorts, you're mixed in with regular guests.

I know there are more choices at the other resorts for dining and entertainment which makes them more attractive to people. However, we're happy with what OKW has to offer and if we want something different it's a short drive away.
    Last edited by wdw4us2; 12-09-2004 at 04:00 PM.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    Still love OKW - I love it when we get greeted with welcome home at the guard shack

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    I love our membership to DVC. Our home resort is the Beach Club Villa's. I love the Beach Club because of the access to MGM and Epcot being right out the back door, the atmosphere and cast members have been really good there. We are also looking at purchasing some extra points in the future at Saratoga Springs. It was a relaxing atmosphere.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

athenna is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Boston,SSR, AKLV, Will's ship, Balian's castle
    I didn't vote in the poll yet. I am a new DVC member. I am making my first trip home in just 17 days I haven't stayed at and of the DVC yet, but I've seen them all, ironically enough, except for my 'home' resort-Saratoga Springs. I look forward to it very, very much! I'm sure when I get back I will vote and SSR will get my vote!

DVCByResale is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm going to stick with OKW as my favorite only because of the larger rooms and relaxed atmosphere. I will say that Wilderness Lodge is my favorite on the 3 days of the year when it is cold here...I go out for cocoa by the fire! :-)

Shontell
    Shontell Crawford
    Lic. Real Estate Broker

DVC By Resale
    1-800-844-4099
    shontell@dvcbyresale.com

kree is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Athenna- You will LOVE SSR!

SSR and OKW are unique in that they are completely DVC resorts- they are not hybrid hotel/DVC combos. It seems to me that Disney looked at OKW and sought to improve on that model. Where OKW is almost too 'laid back', SSR has activities for guests all day long. Daily trivia poolside, activities at Community Hall, billiards, or maybe a 10 minute walk to DTD. The walk terminates at the bus depot at the Shopping Village, from which you can go anywhere in WDW. The rooms and grounds are beautiful, and there is just enough theming around to remind you of where you are. The CM's that run the activities are very interactive- the best analogy I can give is that they are almost like Cruise Directors. They are very friendly and engaging. They are not intrusive- if you want to be left alone- they leave you alone. If you want to participate, they welcome it. Beautiful resort (at least it will be when they finish building it.)
    Por favor mantengese alejado de las puertas.

turtleclanscott is offline C-Ticket Holder
    You know I said Old Key West is my favorite earlier, but I think it really makes a difference what kind of trip I'm on. When we went before we had kids, I really liked Old Key West.

But now that I'm toting around 2 strollers, Beach Club Villas is great, because it's so much easier just to walk to Epcot or take the boat to MGM. (That cuts down on a lot of bus rides!) Even at Wilderness Lodge Villas we take the boat to the Magic Kingdom and often take the boat to the Contemp. then the monorails to Epcot.
    Turtleclan Scott
    DVC Member Since 2001

BWDave is offline A-Ticket holder
    Even though I'm a big BWV fan, I have stayed at some of the others and break them down into 3 categories;
    1)DVC near parks (BWV,BCV,WLV)
    2)Neighborhood DVC resorts (SSR, OKW)
    3)Off property DVC (HHI, VB)

1) I have stayed at all three. BWV of course has the atmosphere of the boardwalk which some people like or dislike. I don't find the noise a problem, I actually like hearing all the action. Not bad being able to lay in your bed and see Spaceship Earth!! I personally miss a food court that we can walk into whenever we want a burger or a snack (even though we usually have a villa w/ a kitchen) BCV & BWV both have the walk or quickboat ride to 2 parks. That is a major plus for me. In other words, location, location, location. Finally, WLV has an easy boat ride to MK, a bike ride to FW and you enjoy all the amentities of the great WL resort.

2) I have stayed at OKW but not SSR. A great thing about both is the parking. Your car is right near your front door and you fell like you're staying in a condo/townhouse. The charm about these resorts is the quiet, self contained, away from the WDW chaos feeling you get. Also, the room size at OKW (& VB) are larger and the layout for the 1&2 bedrooms are great. OKW and SSR do have a quick boat ride to DTD.

3) I have stayed at VB but not HHI. Since may family travels to the Jersey shore often, my kids didn't appreciate the ocean that much at VB. I thought the beach was great and the place is a nice break from WDW touring. You can take a long walk on the beach and not see any crowds.
    Someday, I'll make it to HHI.

One thing I've noticed since being a member since 2000, the DVC experience is dynamic. Look at the announcement of villas at AKL and how exciting it is to dream of staying there. The whole DVC concept seems to be a strong division of Disney and I think we're going to keep enjoying the addition of new places to stay. I remember seeing an artist rendereing picture of a DVC resort in Time Square in NYC or reading the rumor/fact that Disney owned property in the LA area which it ended up selling to another major timeshare company (I think both projects were shelved because Disney has had better luck with WDW DVC resorts. The Time Square picture was from 20 years ago) My point is, the folks at DVC seem to be committed to improving our vacation experience and exploring new ideas for its members.

Anyway, all the current resorts and future resorts can get us spoiled real quick.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast