Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney Vacation Club Discuss DVC Comments in the Vacation Planning forums; We have some friends who bought at FW Villas and they tried to get us to join too. Of course, the price keeps going up and up. I think the ...
    Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

DVC Comments

We have some friends who bought at FW Villas and they tried to get us to join too. Of course, the price keeps going up and up. I think the cheapest is around $14,500 now at SS, plus the yearly fees (start at around $800 for taxes, Mousekeeping, etc., and they do go up each year basically) that get you in the end. The DVC CM's are very nice and upfront, but like all sale pitches you get caught up and get confused easily by all the numbers and such.

If you are interested this simplified info should help you:

If you truly love WDW and decide to visit yearly or at least every couple of years and are relatively young, with or without children--30 something, then DVC would be OK. We are near 60 and our grown children did not like the idea of taking over the yearly fees and making a commitment for that long a time.

There are a number of ways to use your "points" to buy time at any of the DVC timeshares, or even use to reserve a resort room. You can also use your points to go to other Disney resorts or to other timeshare places in the US and around the world. Like the 4 price "seasons" at WDW--Value, Regular, Peak, and Holiday, your points buy more or less time at a specific DVC location.

The bottom line is that DVC ownership gets you about a 50% discount on say a Villa at FW for say 7 days a year. So, instead of paying $300 a night you pay about $150. That's pretty simplified to say the least. Yes, you can sell your DVC timeshare, but you have to deal with the open market. Disney will not buy them back. You can also sell your points, but it is risky business, unless you know the persons you are dealing with.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions, I would glad to try to answer them for you.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 08-14-2004 at 02:04 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Jiminy...I'm not clear on what the "FW Villas" refers to? Can't think of a DVC resort with those initials?

Also, I think your assessment of the DVC purchase is a pretty good one, though I think you set the age limitations way too low. We purchased when I was in my mid-40's, and it fits us very well.

I don't know if we'll be able to use all 38 remaining years on the contracts (VWL & BWV), but even if we don't, the kids can always use them.

Many have crunched the numbers and find that if one goes to WDW at least every couple of years, and stays in a moderate or deluxe on-site resort, that the DVC investment can pay for itself in about 8 years or so. For us, it will never pay for itself because we never would have gone to WDW so often! But it definitely is a big long-term savings over room rates.

However, our purchase of DVC was really not driven by savings. It was driven by having a much, much better vacation experience at WDW. Staying in accommodations with full kitchens and washer/dryers, as well as the additional living space, have made our vacations much more relaxed and enjoyable.
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    He's talking about the Fort Wilderness Villas

Thanks crashbunny. I kind of thought that might be it, but there are no Fort Wilderness Villas in the Disney Vacation Club. Maybe they meant Villas at Wilderness Lodge (VWL)?

Many people mistakenly switch Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge, but they are completely separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny
    Thanks crashbunny. I kind of thought that might be it, but there are no Fort Wilderness Villas in the Disney Vacation Club. Maybe they meant Villas at Wilderness Lodge (VWL)?

Many people mistakenly switch Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge, but they are completely separate.
    Sorry if I confused anyone. I should have said the VWL.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

Jiminy...I figured that's what you meant, but trying to avoid that "assume" word!

And you are correct...DVC is not a good deal for everyone. But if someone is planning on going many years and stays on-site in moderate or deluxe resorst, then I think it's very worth looking into at least.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I think what's held me back to date has been the idea of not actually "owning" anything. Unlike traditional timeshares, you have an ownership interest that can be transferred, sold, willed to another, etc. Whereas with WDW (from what I understand), you have a term-length contract with no actual ownership or residual whatsoever.

So, you may save some money on accomodations, but actually, you are laying out such a substantial initial payment which benefits Disney, since they get the interest on that money rather than you.

That being said... I'm sure that after staying at the BWV in September, I may not be so convinced.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Lou...actually, what you end up owning with DVC is a Right to Use deed that has an expiration date. It is actually something that can be sold, or included in a will. However, a contract cannot be broken up into parts...you can't sell off or bequeath part of a contract.

Yes, you lay out a substantial initial payment. For that payment, Disney can't raise their room rates on you for 38 years (or 50 years, in the case of Saratoga Springs).

I think that the issue many have with DVC is that it is not a traditional timeshare, where you own a piece of something forever. I think it is much better to think of it in terms of a pre-paid vacation, or at least pre-paying the bulk of the vacation. There are still the annual dues.

I agree wholeheartedly that DVC isn't for everyone, especially those who don't want to spend a lot of the next few decades going to WDW. But DVC now has about 82,000 members and it's one of the very few timeshares I can think of that has grown in value even as the remaining years decline. A big part of that is due to Disney's control of resale pricing through its right of first refusal, but demand plays a pretty big part in it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    I think what's held me back to date has been the idea of not actually "owning" anything. Unlike traditional timeshares, you have an ownership interest that can be transferred, sold, willed to another, etc. Whereas with WDW (from what I understand), you have a term-length contract with no actual ownership or residual whatsoever.

So, you may save some money on accomodations, but actually, you are laying out such a substantial initial payment which benefits Disney, since they get the interest on that money rather than you.

That being said... I'm sure that after staying at the BWV in September, I may not be so convinced.
    Lou, you are right about the ownership part. Our financial advisor, while not being able to make specific recommendations, cautioned against any type of timeshare, no matter how good it was. Timeshares are near to top of the list of "buyers remorse" items.

Yes, that initial investment, which can go very, very, high ($120,000) if you plan to go oversees a lot, is mostly a BIG commission for the agent, as with life insurance. You'd be better off putting that sum in a "vacation account" and letting it earn interest. As my DW told me we could go on some really great WDW vacations for $14,500, not including the fees.

Our friends (who would have gotten some extra points if we bought) that bought into WLV traded for the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs and were sorry they did. The Broadmoor did not compare to the Wilderness Lodge and they only got a few days there as compared to a week at WDW, but it did have real mountains nearby.

Trying to be positive, but with 80,000+ members, what is going to happen when everyone wants to visit WDW at certain times of the year? I think you know the answer. Remember what happened to Jim Bakker and gang.

The DVC allows you to go at anytime that is available, and you can "bank" points, but like any other business there is no free lunch.

Yes, the DVC is great, but is not for everyone indeed--caveat emptor!!!
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 08-16-2004 at 09:41 PM.

*Off Property

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    (snip)Trying to be positive, but with 80,000+ members, what is going to happen when everyone wants to visit WDW at certain times of the year? I think you know the answer. Remember what happened to Jim Bakker and gang.
    (snip)
    I have no idea what the Jim Bakker reference is, but are you implying that Disney is trying to scam people?

If DVC isn't for you, then fine. But please don't throw mud on something when people are just coming here looking for information.

What happens if everyone wants to go at the same time? The same thing that happens at All Star resorts, or the Polynesian, or anywhere else. The first ones to call for reservations get the reservations.

That's one of the reasons that Disney has built in the very important booking window advantage for owners at a DVC resort. If you own at a resort, you can book there 11 months in advance of the check-out date of your trip. If you don't own there, you have to wait until 7 months prior to the check out date. That gives the owners of a particular resort the preference in booking that resort.

Also, the point structure has, as you pointed out, various seasons that are somewhat similar to the WDW resort seasons. The point structure helps balance the load during the entire year (similar to the room rates at a resort), and are even structured to balance the weekday and weekend stays.

I've said it often, and will repeat it. DVC is not for everyone. But if it fits your vacationing plans and budget, it's an awesome program that thousands enjoy immensely. No buyers remorse here.

I have no idea what the Jim Bakker reference is, but are you implying that Disney is trying to scam people?

If DVC isn't for you, then fine. But please don't throw mud on something when people are just coming here looking for information.

What happens if everyone wants to go at the same time? The same thing that happens at All Star resorts, or the Polynesian, or anywhere else. The first ones to call for reservations get the reservations.

That's one of the reasons that Disney has built in the very important booking window advantage for owners at a DVC resort. If you own at a resort, you can book there 11 months in advance of the check-out date of your trip. If you don't own there, you have to wait until 7 months prior to the check out date. That gives the owners of a particular resort the preference in booking that resort.

Also, the point structure has, as you pointed out, various seasons that are somewhat similar to the WDW resort seasons. The point structure helps balance the load during the entire year (similar to the room rates at a resort), and are even structured to balance the weekday and weekend stays.

I've said it often, and will repeat it. DVC is not for everyone. But if it fits your vacationing plans and budget, it's an awesome program that thousands enjoy immensely. No buyers remorse here.
    Please, don't start flaming . I left another WDW site that you just joined because of flaming from the sabelotodos. Let's try to get along and not make this personal.

I am giving my honest opinion, based on real experiences. The JB reference was because I had some older very religious and trusting friends (may they rest in peace) who bought into his vacation "paradise" and lost tens of thousands of dollars. Any time you "oversell" something, like timeshares, sooner or later it is going to bite you. Disney is no different.

I am happy you are a satisfied DVC owner. I just want everyone to be happy.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 08-19-2004 at 02:08 PM.

*Off Property

Jiminy...sorry if I came off as flaming you. I was just reacting to what I thought was an unfair comparison of DVC to a scam.

I agree that the timeshare industry in general is pretty sleazy. That's why Florida has some of the most rigorous timeshare laws in the country to protect consumers.

And I've always been impressed by the low pressure methods that Disney uses to sell DVC. They know that people are lining up, and that they don't need to browbeat them like some other high pressure timeshare sales techniques.

And I am all for trying to get along. I try to use smilies to soften statements or to show that I'm kidding sometimes. And none of us need to add to life's struggles by making the internet a stressful place to hang out!

Sorry if I offended, and I'll try to be more tactful in stating my opinions in the future.

Jiminy...sorry if I came off as flaming you. I was just reacting to what I thought was an unfair comparison of DVC to a scam.

I agree that the timeshare industry in general is pretty sleazy. That's why Florida has some of the most rigorous timeshare laws in the country to protect consumers.

And I've always been impressed by the low pressure methods that Disney uses to sell DVC. They know that people are lining up, and that they don't need to browbeat them like some other high pressure timeshare sales techniques.

And I am all for trying to get along. I try to use smilies to soften statements or to show that I'm kidding sometimes. And none of us need to add to life's struggles by making the internet a stressful place to hang out!

Sorry if I offended, and I'll try to be more tactful in stating my opinions in the future.
    I'll drink to that!!!

*Off Property

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    It was almost like in here! Whew!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Lou....I was thinking more like...

or...

or my personal favorite...

But fortunately Jiminy and I decided to respect each other's opinion instead of getting into a mutual bashing! I'd hate to get banned from this board so early in my user experience!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast