Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Bum Deal for DVC'ers? in the Vacation Planning forums; I understand that the saving we get as DVC members outweighs savings of "free" dining since you have to pay full rack rate. The big frustration to me is how ...
    laurenjdaisy is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Bum Deal for DVC'ers?

I understand that the saving we get as DVC members outweighs savings of "free" dining since you have to pay full rack rate. The big frustration to me is how tough it is to get ADRs when its free dining time. I book ADRs at the 180 day mark because I have to, but it bothers me to have to plan out my days that far in advance! I remember on our trip back in the spring of 2003 being able to call for priority seating the night before without issue. Our last trip in fall of 2009 was during a free dining period and we had a very tough time trying to change ADRs for anytime during our week. I think free dining puts way too many people in the restaurants who would otherwise wouldn't be there. So from the perspective of a DVC member who can't qualify for free dining, I cringe when they offer it cause I know it'll make it tougher for my planing.

-Lauren

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I simply do not eat in the parks. I take full advantage of the kitchen facilities for dinner, breakfast in the room before we leave, and carry sandwiches for lunch. $40+ for a meal and a half, per person, is insane.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

We loved the Dining plan until they changed it (took away free appetizer and tip included). We also found that the restaurants were FULL and were hard to get into places we liked and had to settle for places just to use the dining plan. Up until then, it was a great deal! But we have 4 kids and so we cook most meals in our 2BR villas... too costly otherwise! Just one lunch at via Napoli this last week for a party of 8 was $245! It was amazing, but wow ... that was after the 10% DVC discount....
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!

I refuse to pay for meals at WDW. And even though there might be some value to the dining plan, it only works for 2 out of 3 meals. So even if you eat like a pig for dinner, you are still out a meal anyway. And I don't really pay $50 for food per day anyway with the DVC. So I'm fine making a burger or cooking a chicken back in the room. Some fresh sauce, meatballs and pasta is a heck of a lot cheaper and tastier than a cr@ppy meal at Tony's Town Square any day of the week.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I refuse to pay for meals at WDW. And even though there might be some value to the dining plan, it only works for 2 out of 3 meals. So even if you eat like a pig for dinner, you are still out a meal anyway. And I don't really pay $50 for food per day anyway with the DVC. So I'm fine making a burger or cooking a chicken back in the room. Some fresh sauce, meatballs and pasta is a heck of a lot cheaper and tastier than a cr@ppy meal at Tony's Town Square any day of the week.

that is a good idea... and it saves a load of money im sure... but...

for those people who go once in their lives... they dont know any better...

for those who go every couple of years... they might not want to travel back to their rooms and "waste" time that they could be spending in the parks...

for those who go with family... mom might not want to cook dinner while on vacation... (my mother would fit into this bracket...)

i mean for some it might work great... and i think i might use that next time... but for other groups... maybe not so much...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

I'm speaking strictly as a DVC member, since we would traditionally go at least once a year, if not more. When the alternative is eating at Via Napoli and spending upwards of 200 for a party of four or five, I'll make a burger.

Oh, and as a DVC member, I never EVER purchase those ridiculous refillable mugs.

kandjad is offline C-Ticket Holder

I agree with Supernova!! I bring my own groceries!!
    It's FALL?!? Already?!?!
    Kate

Think_Tink is offline Fastpass Holder

I would imagine that something as simple as bringing your own water would be a tremendous savings during your stay.

I'm of the mindset that I don't want to spend my vacation cooking and cleaning dishes. But I save some food money by doing easy breakfasts and lunches in the room and drinks. Cereal, bagels, chicken nuggets, lunch meat, bottled water/soda... those kind of things save some money on a few meals (without requiring prep time or clean up) so I can splurge on the rest while I'm on vacation.
    Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Think_Tink View Post
    I would imagine that something as simple as bringing your own water would be a tremendous savings during your stay.
    Never underestimate the savings on bringing your own water and drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by kandjad View Post
    I agree with Supernova!! I bring my own groceries!!
    Something as cheap and simple as eggs and toast/english muffins, or cereal and milk in the morning will save a bundle of money and time.

Never underestimate the savings on bringing your own water and drinks.

Something as cheap and simple as eggs and toast/english muffins, or cereal and milk in the morning will save a bundle of money and time.
    Totally agree! Great and easy places to save money.
    Lauren

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Think_Tink View Post
    If it were me, I'd bring a bottle with me, but I know I would not ever truck back to the DVC from a park to get a bottle of water.

I'd imagine she was thinking more along the lines of bringing a case or some gallons to the room. I wouldn't run back either. Wouldn't make sense. But buying a case for four bucks and then freezing them for the parks rather than buying a single bottle for four dollars... yeah, sounds a bit better.

I'm speaking strictly as a DVC member, since we would traditionally go at least once a year, if not more. When the alternative is eating at Via Napoli and spending upwards of 200 for a party of four or five, I'll make a burger.

Oh, and as a DVC member, I never EVER purchase those ridiculous refillable mugs.
    mike your absolutely right then... i couldnt see spending that kind of money on dinner... especially if it is a trip you make extremely often... like a DVC'er would take... thats crazy... definitely bring your own...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    If it were me, I'd bring a bottle with me, but I know I would not ever truck back to the DVC from a park to get a bottle of water.
    see if your in the park and you walk up to a quick serve and ask them for a cup of ice water... they give it to you... now i dunno if that works all the time but they definitely do that in the summer time...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast