Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Bum Deal for DVC'ers? in the Vacation Planning forums; Am I the only one who thinks that the free food perk for Magic Your Way folks kind of stinks for DVC members? It costs us $38.99 per person/per day ...
    timned88 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Bum Deal for DVC'ers?

Am I the only one who thinks that the free food perk for Magic Your Way folks kind of stinks for DVC members? It costs us $38.99 per person/per day to get what (as Disney calls them) "renters" get for free.

I am not looking to start WWIII over this, it's just kind of a bummer when Disney has $20 K of my money for the 200 points + dues every month. I wish WDW took better care of their long term fans and stopped trying so hard to attract new people.

opinions?

/end soapbox

Tim Devine, owner of THE MAGIC IN PIXELS.

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    Because they know you WILL be back They are trying to get the renters hooked.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    yeah, that is exactly it.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

timned88 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    i know that is probably the rationale behind it, BUT.....i would have hoped for what the buy-in is for the DVC, combined with the many trips that DVC'ers take, along with the more expensive amenities they then to partake in, would have been rewarded with the dining plan.

it just kinda stinks when you get a bill for $60.00 for two people and someone else wipes his mouth off and just leaves.

Tim Devine, owner of THE MAGIC IN PIXELS.

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    I am kinda lost on what you mean...But my family has annual passes anyways. And are DVC members.

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I'm not sure I understand this either. Are you talking about the "free" Dining Plan that Disney offered guests? If you look into that offer, you will find that it is not free at all, as to get it someone has to pay full rack rate.

I'm not sure what there is to get concerned about. Disney didn't have to offer the Dining Plan to DVC members at all, as it was designed to fill up the resorts.

Can Disney offer more perks to DVC members? Sure, that would be nice. But I won't be disappointed if I don't get more since I bought an accommodation deal that I think is worth it.

Just my opinion...YMMV.
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

Tink99 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I am a DVC member and I think that it's great that they are offering us the dining plan. Think of it this way, my first visit as a member I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge in a 2 bedroom villa the week before Easter. It would have cost me $800 a night for five nights, that's $4k for just one trip! My 15k and 150 points a year will not even come close to what I could spend during the lease time of 40+ years! Though I do think they could give the members a little more of a discount ticket wise, etc., I think DVC is the way to go!

rxpeje63 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I was reading the posts and was wondering what is ia all about. It costs money for DVC Members as it does for magic your way customers so from my prescpetive it is a great deal. it is well worth the price because I was doing some calculating and It save some people money fir us use it wisely and do buffet breakfasts and then do some interesting for dinner. and use the snack for lunch time.

that is only my humble opinion and I am a DVC MEMBER.
    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." W.D.
    DH DS(17) DD (14)DD(10) Chewbacca(4)
    Han Solo(3)
    DW 8/1/62 - 9/4/10

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Being a DVC member my family and I LOVED the opportunity that Disney gave us to use the Meal Plan during our last trip. Disney is the one who lost money on it with my family! We had preplanned and had priority seating at many of their top restaurants. My husband and brother-in-law ate well those nights and ended up ordering some of the most expensive items that Disney had to offer. The cost of paying for a counter service, snack, and sit down service per day versus paying out of pocket for the same, we saved money with the meal plan. Plus any meals that we had prior to using the meal plan we used either our DVC cards or the Annual Pass dining plan. It is WONDERFUL not having to worry about how much this and that meal will cost us given that the meal plan is a fixed price and something we can fit into our planning budget. I was one of those DVC members begging for them to add to meal plan and am very happy!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

bartoli@charter is offline A-Ticket holder
    we just got back last week from Disney World. It was our 1st time going down as DVC members. Had a great time,too. Even with storm Faye looming over us for 5 days. Oh well. Anyway the point: We purchased the dining plan for 3 adults and 1 child for 8 nights. Total cost...$991.00. I kept track of every meal, both quick service and table service, including the Hoop-De-Do, and averaged the snack's at 2.50 apiece. The total for all food would have costed us $1309.00. As you can see we saved a total of $318.00. And we had the convenience of our meals paid in advance and didn't have to budget for it.

Here's a tip....Downtown Disney, go to Wolfgang Puck Express. It counts as Quick service meal and the total for that meal itself was around 70.00. I don't think their was a entree on the menu for less than 12.00. And that was lunch time. Couldn't believe it myself and checked in advance 2 times before finally ordering.
    Previous WDW Trips

With my family(as a child; teen)
    November 1976.....Fort Wilderness Campground
    February 1986......Off Site
    With family of my own.
    November 1996.....Wilderness Lodge
    June 1999.............Caribbean Beach
    August 2006..........Pop Century
    August 2008..........Saratoga Springs Resort

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    I definitely see your point Tim, if you are meaning the free dining that Disney offers resort guests in September. Or August, I don't remember since I have never been able to go during that time.

I think what is good for resort guests should be good for DVC members as well. Just as a common courtesy from Disney.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

flutter is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    I definitely see your point Tim, if you are meaning the free dining that Disney offers resort guests in September. Or August, I don't remember since I have never been able to go during that time.

I think what is good for resort guests should be good for DVC members as well. Just as a common courtesy from Disney.
    Tims point was also 2 years ago, I don't know if the policy has changed or not

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by flutter View Post
    Tims point was also 2 years ago, I don't know if the policy has changed or not
    No hit hasn't. In order to be eligible for the free dining, you must pay full rack rate and have Magic Your Way Park Tickets.

So that means that DVC guests and those guests who stay in the resort, pay full rack rate, but enter the park on an Annual Pass are not eligible.

It may become a moot argument in my book. The running theory is that Disney will be offering the new Snack Credit Only dining plan as the free one next year.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I didn't know Wolfgang Puck's counted as a quick service. That's one of our favorite places to go with a young family there is something for everyone. That alone may sell me on the plan next trip.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    TestSherpa,

Don't mix up Wolfgang Pucks with Wolfgang Pucks Express. They are 2 separate restaurants. The Express is considered a Quick Service.

We actually ate there last week, and I had the meatball, sausage, and pepperoni pizza and it was awesome. My wife also really enjoyed her Chicken Alfredo with ziti pasta
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast