Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney Vacation Club Discuss Trying to decide if I should join DVC in the Vacation Planning forums; My mom has been pushing for me to go into DVC with her and I am really not sure. I love Disney to death, but I don't think I'd want ...
    Artemis908 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Trying to decide if I should join DVC

My mom has been pushing for me to go into DVC with her and I am really not sure. I love Disney to death, but I don't think I'd want to go there 2 times a year, which seems to be the only way to make it worth it. Does anyone ever use their points to go outside of Disney? If so, how did you like it?

I need to get a better look at what hotels they offer, we got that big DVC book in the mail and I haven't gotten the time to sit down with it (it's a very impressive book, btw!). I have been wanting to go to... Egypt... Greece... Italy... I wonder if they have hotels there.

Oh and now that the disney cruise line is going to the mediterrian, can you use your points on the cruise to go there?

Right now, I don't think I can afford it, but I am getting a new job soon and it'll mean a salary increase, which means I may be able to in a few months...

Ok, thanks for listening and let me know if you any thoughts or answers to my questions. =D Thanks.

Optimus Stitch is offline Count down to Florida Vacation begins!!!!
    This is a great topic because I have also thought about joining the DVC, but I can't afford it. To piggy-back off of Artemis, what are the costs involved?
    My dream is to play all day long at WDW!!!!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Let me preface this by saying, DVC "worth" is very subjective to each individual's vacation pattern and taste. It makes sense for some but not others. Only you can make that decision.

1. You don't need to go to WDW twice a year to make DVC "worth it." We've actually skipped years and banked those points to use for larger accomodations with more guests. However, the DVC discount on Annual Passes is making us go 2-3 times a year lately.

2. Yes, you can use your points for DCL. We have done that in the past. Many DVCers don't feel that is a good "trade" and recommend renting your points and using cash to pay for your cruise. I rather not rent my points, but to each their own. I don't know much about the Med cruises, but you can use your points for those per DVC website. I had to log in to see this, or I 'd give you the URL.

3. If you do decide to purchase, buy where you are most likely to stay and according to the time of year. If you regularly prefer Old Key West in July in 2 bedroom, then buy enough points to cover that. However, DVC is only selling SSR right now. If you want the older resorts, you'd need to buy a resale.

4. Minimum buy in is 150 points from Disney. However, you can purchase by resale for smaller point contracts.

5. There are numerous hotels worldwide and within the USA you can trade out for, but I couldn't list them all for you. In the past, my aunt used her points to stay at The Plaza in NYC.

6. There are more active DVC communities on the web than here on DWT, you may want to check those out as well since they have a plethora of members with various opinions.

Found the DVC site you can view:
    http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/index
    It has the costs of the minimum buy in there. Ouch...I paid less that years ago.
    Last edited by MandaBella; 10-23-2006 at 08:00 PM. Reason: adding URL
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Thank you MandaBella

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    My husband and I LOVE our DVC purchase! It was well worth the cost for us. We have 350 points at the Beach Club Villas but now as stated above, only Saratoga Springs is available unless you go through a resale. It is now just over 100 a point to purchase. Because we purchased ours later in the year (October), we used 1/2 of that years points as a down payment and the rest was banked. Our original intent was to use it so my husband can go skiing somewhere, but we love WDW so much and it is a common interest for us that we always end up back at our home resort.
    There are hundreds and hundreds of places to trade your points in to go and stay across the US and throughout the world! The book you received should have a list to show you everywhere you can travel and stay. I found something in Italy, but Greece and Egypt were unavailable when I just checked. You can find out by calling one of the DVC representatives.

If you didn't get the DVD yet, go online to the Disney site and order it. It will fill you in on many questions you may have.

Hope this helps! Good Luck with your Decision.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

How often do you think you would have to go to WDW for the DVC to be worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Stitch View Post
    How often do you think you would have to go to WDW for the DVC to be worth it?
    There are several schools of thought on that topic. Bottom line is I think you need to run the numbers and see what would work for you. I know some people only go to WDW every other year banking their points on off years, some go yearly, and yet others go 2+ more times a year. It all depends on when you go, how many are going with you, and the size of the accomodations you desire.
    Amanda

Artemis908 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I was thinking that for me, the best way to do it would probably be to see how much money I spend every year to go on vacation (for example: next year I am taking an Alaskan cruise) and compare the prices. I am just worried that once I buy in, I'm stuck. Like I am limiting my choices of where to go on vacation because I wouldn't be able to afford to go on vacation anywhere else if I joined DVC.

You aren't really stuck by buying into DVC or stuck visiting WDW. We go other places all the time. It really depends on your vacation expenses and time. If you find you are aren't happy with it, you can sell it....hence the resales I mentioned that you can purchase.
    Amanda

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    My family and I, have DVC. We have had it for many years, and got it when they started giving it out. They even gave us free tickets for the first few years to get us to buy it! When we first got it we were going 3 times a year for while. Then two, and now we are going once pretty much. Its great to buy DVC, and if you can't get to Disney, you can always go to another "disney" hotel, you have to trade your points in for. Just because it is DVC doesn't mean you have to be in Florida to have it. I hope that helps!

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

I am not financially ready for DVC, but maybe in 5 years or so.

Dale-not-Chip is offline B-Ticket Holder
    The old is it worth it question.

It is not the cheapest way of staying at Disney. But it is the cheapest way of staying at that level of resort.
    If you normally stay moderate or definatly value you will spend more money but save on the new level of resort.

As far as how may times you go to get your moneys worth. as long as you use your points you will get your money's worth. yes the biggest value is to use your points for DVC resorts but if you sit down and do the math you save mony on every level that you can use your points on. Once again you have to compare the price of staying at the same type of resort.