Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disneyana Fan Club (formerly NFFC) Discuss Thinking of starting Mississippi Valley Chapter - Need Advice in the Disney Meets forums; OK - I just can't stop thinking about this... When I was at TET last month, I had the opportunity to chat with several NFFC World Chapter members. During the ...
    GalPal is offline Fastpass Holder

Thinking of starting Mississippi Valley Chapter - Need Advice

OK - I just can't stop thinking about this...

When I was at TET last month, I had the opportunity to chat with several NFFC World Chapter members. During the History Walk, Arlen Miller tried to talk me into starting a chapter in my area. Having absolutely no understanding of NFFC (other than the fact that it is the opportunity for folks who love Disney to get together on a regular basis), I have come here for advice and a push in the right direction.

I would like to find out more about NFFC, what is involved in setting up a chapter, bylaws, requirements, benefits of membership, etc. I would also love to hear personal experiences current/former members have had. Do you do a newsletter? Where do you meet? How often? When you join NFFC at the national level does that cover membership in a local chapter or is there an additional cost? How much time do you invest each year?

I have several friends here in the Quad Cities / Iowa City area who are interested in joining - many who I met when I was a CM at TDS. Arlen mentioned something about having four members to start a chapter, so I'm sure we'll be OK there.

I'm leaning towards joining the World Chapter first to get my feet wet and then trying to start a chapter locally. But, wonder if it's feasible to do both at the same time.

Thanx for any advice or pointers you all can give me!!!
    Alisa
    Last edited by GalPal; 11-03-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    Do you still work at the DS in Davenport? I worked there for a small amount of time. I don't know anything about chapters or NFFC, but if it involves talking about Disney, I would join with you.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

No, I''m no longer working at the Davenport store. When the stores were sold to TCP, I stuck it out for about 18 months. Then, I just couldn't take the new management - VERY unDisneyish. I really miss the store and the people though.

That is one of the things motivating me to start a local NFFC chapter. Several of us who worked at the store have been talking about getting together so this would be a great excuse to do that every month. It isn't cost prohibitive (about $30 per year per family), but I just need to figure out logistics

You worked at TDS at Northpark? When were you there? I was there from 2002 to 2006 - worked almost every Friday night and loved doing Plush Mountain!

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Ok I just got really excited then I saw "Valley" . Can the Mississippi Valley chapter include members who live in states that have the same name?
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

Sure - you might have to attend the meeting via conference call though.

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Haha, I think gas is just a little to high for me to drive back and forth!
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

I worked there in 1996-1997. I was very part time, and I spent way more in that store than I made in my paycheck. I so do not miss that teal sweater and pantyhose under the shorts with socks in the middle of the summer! It was definitely the height of the beanie craze. People would stand in line when the new ones came out and I would silently plead with them not to run me over. Those were the good old days when you could buy art and watches and nice adult clothes there.
    I googled NFFC just to see what it was and it looked like it had an easy worksheet to help you figure it out. Good luck!

Was Sue Fristoe there when you worked there? What about Mark? I'm trying to think of some of the others, I used to know.

If Mark is a really tall guy who went to Disney every year since he was in kindergarten, then yes! he was there. And I think Sue was there. Is she married to a marshall?

Yep - that is them. Mark is now a manager at the TPC at Deere Run Golf Course. He still takes his family down to stay at the Polynesian every Christmas. Sue works for a dentist in East Moline. She and another TDS CM go to WDW at least twice a year with their spouses.

Both of them are on my list of folks to invite to join NFFC with me. They are total Disney nuts and know tons of inside stuff.

MKRob is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hey GalPalÖI thought I chime in on this since Iím in the start up phase here in TN. I went to the NFFC web site as well as other Disney web boards like this one and posted that I would like to get one started here. Within a few days I had about 7 people respond wanting to get involved. Three of us meet for lunch one day and had a quick election on who would be president, VP, and treasurer. After that we sent in our forms to NFFC that you print of their web site. It cost 29.00 year to hold a local officer position. Each Chapter must have at least 3 officers to get started. After that anyone can join without paying any kind of national NFFC dues. But most Chapters out there have there own dues. Ours is going to be 15.00 a year per family. You meet once a month and the location of your choice. You should go out to the NFFC web site click under Chapters and go through some of the local chapters web sites. Anyway itís been easy so far. Itís kinda like build it and Disney fans will come! Join as many Disney web boards as you can and put the word out. Good luck! Let me know if you have other questions. Iíll let you know if we run into any roadblocks along the way. We have out first official meeting this Sat night at 6pm. We are luck in a sense that there is a Disney Pod Cast hosted out of Nashville who is going to be joining. I donít think they have mentioned it yet on ďlineĒ yet so hopefully that will get a more of a draw. Good luck! Let me know if you have other questions. Iíll let you know if we run into any roadblocks along the way.
    Zip A Dee Doo DahÖZip A Dee Day
    More Disney Fun Is On The Way
    Stay Tuned For Lots Of Fun Things
    To Zip A Dee Doo During Your Stay
    Up Next ~ Water Parks! Retro Resort TV

If you can't be there...be here!

Now I Wish I Was Standing Line!!!!!

Thanx Rob. That was great info - I'll be sure to check out the NFFC website more closely. Arlen forwarded my contact info to Kendra Trahan and Anita (in charge of chapters). Keep me posted on how things are going, OK?