Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss Disneyland Questions, Advice and more! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; OK, I had to be first! If anyone has Disneyland related questions please feel free to ask. As a local (30 minutes from my front door to Mickey's front door) ...
    ru42 is offline Disneyland/Photo Moderator - DWT West Coast Division
    30 minutes from my front door to Mickey's front door; Disneyland

Disneyland Questions, Advice and more!

OK, I had to be first! If anyone has Disneyland related questions please feel free to ask. As a local (30 minutes from my front door to Mickey's front door) I would love to help you out!

RU

Check out my new DVDs on MY NEW SITE

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    OOOOhhh.... I'm SO jealous!! To imagine being that close to a Disney theme park.

Thanks for offering to help our members!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by ru42
    OK, I had to be first! If anyone has Disneyland related questions please feel free to ask. As a local (30 minutes from my front door to Mickey's front door) I would love to help you out!

RU

Wait wait....did you just come out of the Disney closet? All this time you've been that close and just now you are letting us know??!?!
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    WOW... I drive 30 minutes and I am lucky if I get a Lowes or Target.

~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Mandabella
    Wait wait....did you just come out of the Disney closet? All this time you've been that close and just now you are letting us know??!?!
    Not really hiding it, I guess it just never really came up. Coming out of the Disney closet, now that is funny!

RU

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    Iss Millionaire still there? It's not on the website, but it's in 2 DL 2005 guidebooks...please help my poor little soul!!!
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

Quote Originally Posted by olmec26
    Iss Millionaire still there? It's not on the website, but it's in 2 DL 2005 guidebooks...please help my poor little soul!!!

Millionaire closed last year in DCA. With Millionaire and Superstar Limo closed, there is a rumor of DCA getting a Monsters, Inc. attraction in that location.

Keep your fingers crossed!
    Amanda

Monsters Inc is mostly likely to be contained within SSL. The disposition of WWTBAM is still up in the air.

Personally, I'd like to see a roller coaster that takes you into some movies. Maybe a Star Wars scene where you are banking and looping. Of course, there are other movies scenes that would be cool. And when they want to change the ride, then change the movie clips. A GMR meets RNRC.

RU

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    Quote Originally Posted by ru42
    Monsters Inc is mostly likely to be contained within SSL. The disposition of WWTBAM is still up in the air.

Personally, I'd like to see a roller coaster that takes you into some movies. Maybe a Star Wars scene where you are banking and looping. Of course, there are other movies scenes that would be cool. And when they want to change the ride, then change the movie clips. A GMR meets RNRC.

RU
    Write to an Imagineer! That's a great idea! You've definently merited some Mouse Ears for that!
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

cinderella_girl is offline A-Ticket holder
    Disneyland (mentally), Pacific Northwest (physically)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandabella
    There is a rumor of DCA getting a Monsters, Inc. attraction in that location.
    Keep your fingers crossed!
    I just read some interesting news about that on mousehub. They are demolishing Superstar Limo, making way for the rumored Monsters Inc. ride, which will open somewhere between December 2005 - January 2006. Just a nifty tidbit!
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'January 07, 2006 6:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkblue>Countdown to 2006 WDW 1/2 marathon!</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Running 13.1 mi w/ Mickey';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

sterm26 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I'm (finally) making it back to Southern California this coming August. Of course, I plan to spend at least 3 days in Disneyland. The last and only time I went there, in 1988, the park seemed very cramped and crowded. Has anything been done to improve this?

I realize that the park can't truly expand like WDW, but looking at the attraction list on Disneyland.com, it seems that they cram a lot of attractions in a small space. Also, is it still possible to see I-5 and the surrounding streets from the park? I found that very off-putting, especially after experiencing the "isolation" of WDW.

Finally, I plan to visit DCA at least once. It is REALLY as bad as I've read (the new TOT nonwithstanding)?

Thanks!

Sterm
    Last edited by sterm26; 04-15-2005 at 01:42 AM.
    WDW offsite 1979, '83, '86, '87, '89,' 93

ASMo November 2003 (Love Bug)

Pop Century February 2005 (50's)

Pop Century February 2006 (60's)

Pop Century August 2006 (60's)

Coronado Springs February 2009

Disneyland August 1988 (L.A.)

Disneyland August 2005 (Anaheim Plaza)

"His name's Tron, fights for the Users..."

Welcome to my neck of the woods!

Disneyland has one major challenge - space. That is why Walt bought everythign he could around Orlando. He was not going to make the same mistake twice.

The floor plan to Disneyland is exactly as it was back in 88. Yes, the rides have changed but for the most part, the paths/streets/etc are exactly the same. During the main part of the day, it can be difficult to navigate some areas - but that is usually only during heavy times/days. August would be one of those heavy times.

The size of DL compared to WDW gets 2 reactions. Some think WDW is too impersonal due to the width and feel DL is more cozy. The other side is they think DL is too crowded. The worst time at Disneyland is the central part of the day. So one way you could tackle it is DL in the morning and evening; DCA in the afternoon. (Even hang out at a pool a little bit is fun too if you are staying close enough.)

FP is critical to August park visits. Use wisely. You could probably guess which rides will get packed early but if you need advice just ask.

Is DCA bad? I don't think so. I think many people were disappointed when it kicked off; and rightfully so. Lots of corners were cut and it showed. DLR has taken steps to bring the park up to speed. It is not perfect but I like having DCA. It is different the DL and has many great rides; Soarin, Grizzly, Cal Screamin, and ToT. Plus there are other interesting parts to the Park.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask more!

RU

EDIT: When you are in Disneyland you cannot see side streets or I5 (except from a couple very high spots like Monorail, top of Splash and the like.) At street and most ride levels the world is blocked out. Again, WDW was designed to avoid what happened to DL.

Cool!

I loved Southern California when I was there, I have a cousin that lives in Arcadia. It's been too long since I visited! I figured that I'd save my next trip to WDW for next year, when Everest finally opens at AK.

Anyway, I do have another question. My trip is planned for the last week of August, and the official DL website lists that as a "value" season. In FLA, that usually means lower crowds, but I'm gathering that DL is almost always crowded due to the smaller size. Is that so?

Also, I found that the DL resorts are very pricey compared to the surrounding "good neighbor" hotels, and they don't have the signifigant benefits that a WDW resort guest receives. But many of those hotels advertise that they are "directly across from the gates!!" or within walking distance. How accurate are these ads? The last time I visited, I stayed in L.A. proper, and I don't remember the lay of the land outside the park.

Finally, I'm a baseball fan, and work for the Phillies. I know that the Angels are home the week I plan to visit, but I can't find any info on whether or not the Angels conduct tours of their ballpark.....no mention of it on their website. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time and answers!

Sterm

Quote Originally Posted by sterm26

Also, I found that the DL resorts are very pricey compared to the surrounding "good neighbor" hotels, and they don't have the signifigant benefits that a WDW resort guest receives. But many of those hotels advertise that they are "directly across from the gates!!" or within walking distance. How accurate are these ads? The last time I visited, I stayed in L.A. proper, and I don't remember the lay of the land outside the park.
    I'm not RU but, this is true of some of the surrounding motels/hotels in Anaheim. Last July, during the 4th of July, we stayed at the Park Vue Inn. It was literally right across the street from the main gate. You crossed the street and you were on Disney property in the transportation drop off area. When we booked last year, we booked through Expedia and they had a map of the area hotels and Disneyland. It allowed us to pick which hotels looked like they were within walking distance and which we would probably need to use the shuttle after a long day.
    Amanda

Another question

My mother in law will be joining us on our trip (insert joke here), and is interested to know if there are decent beaches in the OC area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast