Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss Question About DLR vs. WDW in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hey there! I have a question about Disneyland. It's nothing big, and it won't stop me from going someday, but i've heard and read some rumors that have me kinda ...
    Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

Question Question About DLR vs. WDW

Hey there! I have a question about Disneyland. It's nothing big, and it won't stop me from going someday, but i've heard and read some rumors that have me kinda feeling a little weird. here's my question:

When your in The Disneyland resort area, are you Totally immersed in Disney like you are in WDW? I know that there is alot less space in the Disneyland area. But i can't really explain my question. How to put it.... Are you going to see the city and other non disney property if your hotel room has a view? is it really like you step two steps the wrong way off of disney property and your in a small Motel parking lot or a McDonald's?

I'm just curious, and im sorry if my question isn't very clear
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    If your hotel/motel has a view of the non-Disney properties, then yes you will see that. I stayed at the Grand Californian with a park view this Summer and only saw DCA and the pool. If view from your Disney room concerns you, then book your room accordingly. The roads around DLR are filled with various motels, stores, and restaurants...so once you do leave property...it's there. Why this is weird when DLR is built within the city limits, I don't get...but to each their own.

Unlike WDW, DLR has a great advantage in that you can walk everywhere...from the hotels, the parks, and Downtown Disney. Once you are on property, you feel immersed. DLR has a totally different vibe for me than WDW in that it's the original park where Walt actually walked.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks That answered my question
    Hope to visit DLR..... someday... lol
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    In my mind, Disneyland is the exact opposite of Walt Disney World in this respect. I stayed off-property (Candy Cane Inn, about a 5 minute walk from the parks, on the same street), so maybe my opinion is skewed, but....

You don't take a ferry or monorail to the parks. You either drive or walk up.
    The Cast Members are seen, in costume, at an employee drop-off/pick-up area, right outside the gates, often completely out of character (smoking, swearing, etc), as you walk by.
    From the tops of some attractions (California Screaming, Matterhorn), you can easily see outside Disney property.
    The walk from your non-Disney hotel to the front gates will take you past a variety of cheap motels and chain restaurants (ie, Denny's).
    There are no utilidors, so you often see Cast Members in costumes that don't belong to that area (this, of course, was the impetus to building the Utilidors in the MK in the first place).

In sum, I found it significantly more difficult to forget about the real world at DLR than I ever do at WDW. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it. But there as definitely something slightly lacking.