Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss DCA Changes in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hey, im sure many of you have heard about some of the changes that are going on at DCA. What do you think of them? I, personally, think that there ...
    Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

Unhappy DCA Changes

Hey, im sure many of you have heard about some of the changes that are going on at DCA. What do you think of them?

I, personally, think that there are some good ones, and some bad.

Good:
    Toy Story Mania--from what i've heard about DHS, this will be awesome!
    Cars Land--sounds OK, pretty fun actually.

Bad:
    Golden Dreams getting replaced--I've always dreamed of going to Disneyland and riding this ride, but I guess that's not going to happen. For me, i've always loved the music and narration to this attraction, I've never been to DLR so i've never ridden it. However, I have watched some videos and the attraction looks very inspirational, and like it was part of the CALIFORNIA in DCA. Plus, The little mermaid doesn't seem to fit in here.

Changes on Sun Wheel and Cali Screamin'--I think these both should have stayed the way they were. The sun looked amazing during the night, and Cali Screamin' just was always one of the really recognisable parts of DCA. I know alot of people are against Paradise Pier, but I think mickey mousing it all up is just going to look cheesy. (they had an amazing skyline there)

Entrance--I think the C A L I F O R N I A entrance was amazing, especially the way it lined up with the Golden Gate Bridge the mountains, and the AMAZING sun, which will all be gone.

Disney Parks do not have to have characters everywhere, and I think by doing some of these changes they are making the park Disney's Hollywood Studios 2: with a little california, but not much.

I really think by doing this they are taking the California out of the Park, and that is not something i would ever want to see done. Maybe it wasn't the greatest park for California Residents, but I Think that Some of the California themed attractions were AMAZING and INSPIRATIONAL and should not be taken out.

Please! Oppinions? Comments? Please!
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

StephlovesWDW is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Buffalo, New York- too far and too cold to be remotely considered anywhere near central Florida :(
    I totally agree! I LOVED Golden Dreams! I've been on it 4x. 2 DCA trips 2x each visit. You can still watch the video for Golden Dreams on Youtube. It's not the same though. Why are they destroying The Paradise pier??! That was what made the park so iconic. It was very beautiful. I'm going to miss these things and I hope that they're just rumours. I know that the fact that Golden Dreams s closing is unfourtunately true, but hopefully the other ones are not. Keep Paradise Pier as it is!!

finally someone who agrees! It was a truly amazing video... and song... and the mural was beautiful!

I can't believe that they are re-doing the entrance from what it is to pretty much a copy of Disney's Hollywood Studios. I don't see anything wrong with the C A L I F O R N I A entrance, especially the mountains, Golden Gate Bridge, and the Sun!! it is is disney's CALIFORNIA advneture... seems to me like they are taking out the california. I don't think that They need to re-do the entire park, just improve some things like a bugs land, and add some other attractions, such as cars land. But please dont take the california out of the park!
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!

Are you 23? I am!

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    Unfortunately, a lot of people, especially a lot of the die-hard fans, have hated DCA since its opening, which appears to be a big reason why they're giving that park the big overhaul that's to be taking place.

It's quite ironic that some of those fans complain about DCA not being Disney-like enough in its look and feel, yet they love to rag on Epcot for trying to become more Disney-like in its look and feel.

That's very true!
    i think both should not have to have mickey and other characters plastered everywhere. Some are OK, but not too many. that's part of what Disney parks are. They don't have to have anything to do with characters, they are there to enchant and to tell stories all in a place where dreams do come true. And it's all in disney fashion. Space mountain is a very popular ride, but does it have mickey painted on the side?

Are you 23? I am!

DaisyGirl is offline A-Ticket holder
    97.7 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth

DCA sadness

I am one of the few... the proud... the DCA lovers.

If you haven't seen the new Blue Sky Cellar, visit http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-746.asp for a pretty detailed tour.

Let me first explain that I am very attached to this park. I am a Disneyland passholder that made regular visits during DCAs construction to check out the developments from the viewing tower. I had my first DCA day before the park opened to the public. I was there to see the park open to the public. I was there for the parks first anniversary. DCA really holds a special pace in my heart. So, clearly, I am totally bias.

The changes to the parks entrance are heart breaking to me. The loss of the C A L I F O R N I A. The loss of the Golden Gate. The loss of the sun and wave fountain. The loss of the fantastic tile mosaic. It is all very sad for me. These are all things that I heard about a while back. Since then I had been in denial and refusing to look at the concept art. Just last week I accidently saw the concept art for the entrance. I am so unhappy about it. Why are we re-using the studios' entrance? Are the Imagineers out of ideas? I doubt it!

I am also not fond of the changes to the Sun Wheel (that name must be changing) and California Screamin. Can't they just put their "Paradise Pier" sign on the wheel somewhere and leave the sun in place and not touch the fabulous Mickey silhouette on the coaster?

With that crabbing out of the way... I am really looking forward to Cars Land. That movie and those characters are so great. That can't be anything but good. And, while I am a fan of Golden Dreams and will miss it, The Little Mermaid is my favorite movie. I am looking forward to a fun Ariel attraction.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role." ~Walt Disney

ncstatefan is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by StephlovesWDW View Post
    Why are they destroying The Paradise pier??! That was what made the park so iconic. It was very beautiful. I'm going to miss these things and I hope that they're just rumours. Keep Paradise Pier as it is!!
    They're not tearing out Paradise Pier, they're just giving it better, more realistic theming. They're acutually taking the Mickey head off of California Screamin'.
    ncstatefan

2004-Wilderness Lodge
    2008-Polynesian Resort

3IAlienKid is offline C-Ticket Holder

I don't mean for this to be an

I like DCA a lot. When we had our annual passes we would go as often as we would to Disneyland next door. But I have to say I'm really happy about the changes. In my opinion DCA is far from a perfect park, doesn't come even reasonably close to Disneyland, and really needs major improvements in just about every "land". Yes, I agree there are some problems w/ the changes such as the Mermaid being out of place, but I think overall they are really hitting the mark in addressing some of the problems that so many people (myself included) have w/ the park, so my feeling is this is all headed in the right direction. The two changes I'm most looking forward to are the entrance/"main street" and Paradise Pier.
    Last edited by 3IAlienKid; 12-17-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

3IAlienKid is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I like DCA a lot. When we had our annual passes we would go as often as we would to Disneyland next door. But I have to say I'm really happy about the changes. In my opinion DCA is far from a perfect park, doesn't come even reasonably close to Disneyland, and really needs major improvements in just about every "land". Yes, I agree there are some problems w/ the changes such as the Mermaid being out of place, but I think overall they are really hitting the mark in addressing some of the problems that so many people (myself included) have w/ the park, so my feeling is this is all headed in the right direction. The two changes I'm most looking forward to are the entrance/"main street" and Paradise Pier.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Rico117 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I am a current AP holder and I have loved DCA for a long time but it has a ton of issues. Going back repeatedly is hard and sometimes the only reason I go is to look for pins. I am extremely excited about the changes that are coming.

Golden dreams is a great attraction, but no one knows that. Disney doesn't market it extremely well and people just don't attend the showings. I'm not thrilled about it leaving but I think the Little Mermaid will fit in the park and it will be a great attraction.

The paradise pier area, silly symphony swings and goofys barnstormer and the mickey wheel are perfect. These attractions all depict, not a current mickey, but the original Walt Disney drawn mickey and the effort here is to bring us back to the early days and Walt's California, the original California mickey is a part of.

just my take...

Executioner is offline A-Ticket holder
    I for one am extremely happy over these changes. DCA has been a second rate park since it's opening. A kind of park that you only wanted to spend a portion of the day at and not want to stay all day at. Unlike it's sibling and 1st Disney park ever across the esplanade from it. But now I think these changes are going to be bringing the park up to a status of "Stand-Alone" park. The concepts are very neat and work has begun with the bay drained and construction already going on the Wonderful World of Color water show as well as the Sun Wheel is almost done being rethemed to Mickey's Fun Wheel. Mickey's head is almost removed from California Screemin' and soon a new Mickey face will adorn the MFW. And the work on the Orange Stinger is getting ready for it's transformation. Come spring of next year DCA wil already have a great new appearance. So exciting.
    In the depths of a mind insane...... Fantasy and reality are the same.

Are You 999? is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: DCA Changes

I can't wait for these changes to be finished. All the stuff they're doing now is only phase 1. The Little Mermaid ride is going to be awesome. It's sad that some things have to get taken out, but this park is not themed very well when compared to the other parks. Before Toy Story Midway Mania there were only 3 E-ticket attractions. Overall I think the changes will be great!

The sad thing is, It had the potential to be an AMAZING park, but with all the budget cuts, and just plain bad planning/ideas, it made it to what people see today. I see it for the potential that it could've been-- without disney characters plastered everywhere. There's something magical about the dream of the state of california, but they didn't seem to capture it.... Hopefully someday, they will capture the spirit of california and make the park out to all it could have been in the first place.

Are you 23? I am!

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

I enjoyed the park but it doesn't really beg for repeat viewing. I zipped through it so fast and too much of it was just repeated from Disney World so you're not going to lure too many people from WDW. As a Jersey guy, there isn't a whole lot of appeal to seeing Boardwalk roller coasters in a Disney theme park. That's what I've always tried to get AWAY from. The only one i wanted to even bother with was California Screamin' and it made me so queasy, that the experience was less than thrilling. Architecturally it's not as deep as other parks. There isn't much of a flow. Studio backlot next to Bug land next to California historical stuff next to Pier rides.

I still think there is a ton to enjoy. For Californians, it gives them a lot of Studios stuff that Florida got first. Grizzly River Run and Soarin' are really fun rides. But i couldn't find much of a reason to stay past half a day there. Maybe for kids there's a lot more to do, but i just don't think it's as Adult-friendly as Disneyland or anything in Florida.

wdwnut4life is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: I don't mean for this to be an

31AlienKid (sorry if spelled wrong) double post. dca new things look fab

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast