Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss It's a Small Disney World in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean it's a great way to get people more into IASW but this may be too much... The one saving grace ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

It's a Small Disney World

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean it's a great way to get people more into IASW but this may be too much... The one saving grace to me is the fact that the characters all still maintained that IASW character "look".

it's a small world reopens at Disneyland (More Mouse) by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix

As a side note... I found this link off People.com!! How cool is it that MousePlanet got mention on People.com's news section?
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    I think the upgrades will be fine. While I may miss certain things, like Jeremy Irons narration in SE. I generally enjoy the changes as something new to experience.

lobaugo is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I actually like it. I don't think its a blatant addition to the ride and it adds some more "character" if you will. I hope they do it to Walt Disney World too.

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I can't wait to see it, I'm excited about it!
    Tiffany~ºoº ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    After seeing the photos of the additions and having ridden the DL version, I think it will be fine. I just don't get to DL as often, so I missed it on my last trip because it was down for his.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

eeyoregirl13 is offline Fastpass Holder
    When I originally heard about this refurb, I was really worried that it would ruin the original Small World ride, and just fill it with cartoon characters. (I am one of those who did not like the addition of the 3 Caballeros to El Rio del Tiempo.) But from these photos and the video, it looks like everything blends in really well and still has that Small World "look", like BamaJenn said Seems like it could be a nice addition and subtle change to one of my longtime favorite, classic rides. Thanks so much for posting this article!

thokecin is offline And really bad eggs...
    I'm not sure that I completely like it. It's ok, but I think it may be too "character-y". I like the fact that IASW is completely unrelated to any movie characters. It's a bit of a "break" from the rest of Fantasyland.
    "When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do."

–Walt Disney

8 trips and counting!!!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by thokecin View Post
    I'm not sure that I completely like it. It's ok, but I think it may be too "character-y". I like the fact that IASW is completely unrelated to any movie characters. It's a bit of a "break" from the rest of Fantasyland.
    I agree. I'm a bit of a purist and I don't find refurbishments like this imaginative. HM refurb to me is imagineering at its best. Guess I'd be disappointed too if after they rehab SM if they had glow in the
    dark characters flying around, to me it would spoil an attraction that didn't need characters. That is how I feel about IASW, Walt could have put in Characters at DL, he chose not to.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Rico117 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I am not against this. I think that the refurbishments are necessary and much like the jack sparrow character who we love now, putting them in these attractions is an act of preservation and soon we will look fondly on the characters as being a part of Disney that is different from what will come to be. I still haven't ridden the ride but I hope to get there this weekend.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Remember Walt himself said the park would never be done. He was an innovator and often looked forward. We can all speculate about what Walt would have done, but I don't think anyone can really say with any certainty he would have approved/disapproved of the changes made to classic attractions.

The parks aren't static or a museum, they are meant to grow/change. And, sometimes the changes we'll like and others will not. For example, I'm not too fond of the Gran Fiesta Tour either. Although, I like the increase presence of The Three Caballeros characters the change brought. I just didn't care for the execution. I still prefer the original Enchanted Tiki Room to the new Under New Management. However, I really enjoy the updates to HM and POTC.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

kriskay is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I love it! I usually am a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to my Disney rides/parks/resorts/movies, but I think this refurb/addition was done in great taste. Do they have plans to do the same at MK??

~~Kriskay~~

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

For the sake of clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Rico117 View Post
    I am not against this. I think that the refurbishments are necessary and much like the jack sparrow character who we love now,
    Not everyone loves or even likes the Jack Sparrow addition to POTC.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I wasn't by any means saying I didn't like it or had problems with it... simply that I wasn't really sure how I felt. I didn't mean to start a flame war. LOL!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Go Ask Alice is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quite Simply: I do not, cannot, will not, like the old Small World. Maybe Now i could enjoy it. Wait, it is in DL, not DW.
    Not going to Disney World any time soon...

Rico117 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    its a small world is a tough one for me to enjoy, but this refurbishment definitely helped. the new boats look great and are comfortable. The whole attraction looks great and the animatronics look great. The addition of characters takes away almost nothing from the ride, my friend didn't even notice them, and I thought it was fun. The other issue I had was the America room, i was so excited that it was finally there that I got disappointed when it didn't live up to what i wanted. Overall it is a good refurbishment, I feel that it gets weak and although my favorite characters, the three caballeros, are in it they are the only ones that I didn't enjoy. A- to the imagineers on this one and preserving a great classic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast