Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: Did you find this guide useful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss Disneyland for the WDW Veteran in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Disneyland for the WDW Veteran Greetings and welcome to this little guide. Why am I writing this guide? Well, I hang out at 2 WDW web sites and a common ...
    ru42 is offline Disneyland/Photo Moderator - DWT West Coast Division
    30 minutes from my front door to Mickey's front door; Disneyland

Disneyland for the WDW Veteran

Greetings and welcome to this little guide. Why am I writing this guide? Well, I hang out at 2 WDW web sites and a common question from those who know WDW is – what should I not miss when going to Disneyland (or what can I miss). This guide is to walk you thru the rides briefly and give you my opinion as to whether a WDW vet should spend time on the ride.

Let me stress that right now – this is my opinion. I have grown up at Disneyland and know the Park extremely well. I have been to WDW and know the parks their fairly well. Different people will have different takes.

My purpose is not to teach you about the rides; just to rate them. If you are at DLR for several days my answer is simple – ride everything! But for those on a tight schedule, this guide might help you to save time by not riding on something extremely similar to what you could find at WDW.

Rating System and Method:
    I will go Land by Land and rate each Land in 3 groupings. The first grouping will be GREEN. These rides are absolute must do’s. The next will be in GOLD. These are rides that you could ride if you have time. The final grouping will be RED. Red means this ride is essentially the same as WDW.

This is a comparison of rides – not are these rides any fun. I might make a comment here and there but my purpose is to help you make the most of your time at DLR. I might rate something red (like Star Tours) that you love. Well, ride it then – just realize that the ride is no different then the version at MGM.

So – I think that lays the ground rules. Other Disneyland experts might give you a different take (please feel free to post.) You might have a question, please feel free to ask.

You will find links throughout this guide. You are linking to http://www.visionsfantastic.com - a very good Disneyland site that I also happen to be associated with. It will give you more details about the rides. Enjoy this guide and your time at the happiest place on earth.

MAIN STREET USA

Disneyland Railroad – While not vastly different then WDW, we do feature 2 items from the World’s Fair

Great Moments with Mr Lincoln – Walt admired Lincoln and this is his tribute. Currently GMWML is closed to bring a new exhibit for the 50th Celebration This new exhibit and film is exceptional and a definite must see!

Main Street Vehicles – I gave this red just because I love walking down MSUSA. If you want a quick ride to the hub, then jump on board.

ADVENTURELAND

The Enchanted Tiki Room – the original show!
    Indiana Jones Adventure – great thrill ride
    Jungle Cruise – new effects were added for the 50th raising this above the same ride at WDW

Aladdin Storytime – cute if you like simple stage productions
    Tarzan Treehouse – some great views, same a Swiss Treehouse just with different theming

NEW ORLEANS SQUARE

Pirates of the Caribbean – Disneyland classic
    Haunted Mansion – Disneyland classic
    Disney Gallery – usually has great exhibits. Don’t miss the view from the balcony

Haunted Mansion Holiday - usually runs Oct thru Early/Mid January - The Haunted mansion gets a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. It is done well and is a very nice change for the ride.

CRITTER COUNTRY

Splash Mountain – fun ride, very similar to WDW. There is a single rider system for this rode

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh – bad knockoff of the WDW version
    Davy Crocket Explorer Canoes – long line, not worth it – ride a boat

FRONTIERLAND

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – essentially the same but fun to ride
    Mark Twain Riverboat/Columbia Sailing Ship – nice tour around our Tom Sawyer island

Tom Sawyer Island – unless you have kids that need to lose some energy. See the island from the Mark Twain

TOMORROWLAND

Space Mountain – The post rehab Space Mountain is essentially the same ride as it was before, but the entire track was replaced so the ride is smoother. DLR Space Mtn is a side by side car. While the ride itself is very similar to MK, it is definitely worth riding.
    Monorail – great view of Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure

Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster – basically the same as BL Spin at WDW but we have a cool "e-mail a pic home" option at the end. Also - we have a 'play at home' component.

Honey I Shrunk the Audience – same show
    Innoventions – same concept as Epcot; nice if a really hot afternoon
    Autopia – same concept
    Astro Orbitor – same as WDW
    Star Tours – same as WDW
    Submarine Lagoon under rehab – a new Finding Nemo theme is currently underway and the Subs are to return in 2007.

TOONTOWN

Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin – Great concept and a fun ride

Everything else – designed for small kid entertainment

FANTASYLAND

It's A Small World – the best one.

It's A Small World Holiday - runs Oct to early/mid January. The ride gets a Christmas around the world layover. It is a lot of fun!

Alice in Wonderland – DL exclusive
    Pinocchio Daring Journey – DL exclusive
    Matterhorn – great thrill ride
    Story Book Canal Books – DL exclusive
    Castle /Snow White’s Grotto

Mr Toad's Wild Ride – same as the former WDW, but since WDW no longer has this ride, it makes the GOLD list

Mad Tea Party – same as WDW
    Peter Pan Flight – same as WDW
    Snow White Scary Adventure – same as WDW
    Caroussel – same as WDW
    Dumbo – same as WDW
    Casey Jr Circus Train – see the same sites from Story Book Canal Boats, only better

MOUSELANIOUS

Fantasmic! – Incredible show, a must see
    Fireworks – The new show for the 50th is absolutely the best show that Disney has ever created at any of their Parks. I saw it opening night and it made me cry with memories.

Snow White Enchanted Musical – if you like Disney stage productions, go and see this one. The show is currently closed but rumors say it will come back in Spring or Summer of 06.
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies – fun show

Thanks for reading. I hope this was helpful

RU
    Last edited by ru42; 12-14-2005 at 04:36 PM.

Check out my new DVDs on MY NEW SITE

UPDATE 6/16/2005

Well, the 50th kickoff has happened so I thought I would update this a little.

UPDATES:
    Former Lincoln is now an excellent historical look at Disneyland. A new film was produced and stars Steve Martin - both exhibit and film are A+!

Jungle Cruise got a great facelift for the 50th - it is now better then it's counterpart in the Magic Kingdom.

Disney Gallery has a new exhibit - 50 artists tribute to 50 years. Very worth seeing!

I moved Buzz up from gold to green because of a couple nice features. The overall ride is pretty much the same. However, at the end of DL version you can e-mail a picture home taken on the ride. It has you score on it. It is FREE! Also, we have a 'play at home' component. Very cool!

NEW EDITIONS TO THE LIST

The Parade of Dreams - new for the 50th and by far the best parade we have seen in years; possibly the best ever. One unique feature is that there is a parade stop and many of the floats have special entertainment. This boosts the desire to see the parade many times just so you can see what each float does at the stop.

Remember...Dreams Come True fireworks spectacular. Get out a thesaurus and look up synonyms for excellent. Take all those other ways of saying excellent, add them together, multiply the result by a factor of 10 and you might come close to how spectacular this show is to watch. Disney has never produced any fireworks show that is even close to this show; including Wishes. If you are a true Disneyland fan this shows will make you laugh and cry.

That is all the updates for now!

RU

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to be there for Submarine Voyage's recommissioning.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

buccool is offline See my avatar. You know you love him
    This was a great guide even though I don't plan going to DisneyLand
    Remember without Disneyland there would be no mr.toad FOREVER
    for belle and her fight

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    This makes me want to go!!

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by ru42

Greetings and welcome to this little guide. Why am I writing this guide? Well, I hang out at 2 WDW web sites and a common question from those who know WDW is – what should I not miss when going to Disneyland (or what can I miss). This guide is to walk you thru the rides briefly and give you my opinion as to whether a WDW vet should spend time on the ride.

Let me stress that right now – this is my opinion. I have grown up at Disneyland and know the Park extremely well. I have been to WDW and know the parks their fairly well. Different people will have different takes.

My purpose is not to teach you about the rides; just to rate them. If you are at DLR for several days my answer is simple – ride everything! But for those on a tight schedule, this guide might help you to save time by not riding on something extremely similar to what you could find at WDW.

Rating System and Method:
    I will go Land by Land and rate each Land in 3 groupings. The first grouping will be GREEN. These rides are absolute must do’s. The next will be in GOLD. These are rides that you could ride if you have time. The final grouping will be RED. Red means this ride is essentially the same as WDW.

This is a comparison of rides – not are these rides any fun. I might make a comment here and there but my purpose is to help you make the most of your time at DLR. I might rate something red (like Star Tours) that you love. Well, ride it then – just realize that the ride is no different then the version at MGM.

So – I think that lays the ground rules. Other Disneyland experts might give you a different take (please feel free to post.) You might have a question, please feel free to ask.

You will find links throughout this guide. You are linking to http://www.visionsfantastic.com - a very good Disneyland site that I also happen to be associated with. It will give you more details about the rides. Enjoy this guide and your time at the happiest place on earth.

MAIN STREET USA

Disneyland Railroad – While not vastly different then WDW, we do feature 2 items from the World’s Fair

Great Moments with Mr Lincoln – Walt admired Lincoln and this is his tribute. Currently GMWML is closed to bring a new exhibit for the 50th Celebration This new exhibit and film is exceptional and a definite must see!

Main Street Vehicles – I gave this red just because I love walking down MSUSA. If you want a quick ride to the hub, then jump on board.

ADVENTURELAND

The Enchanted Tiki Room – the original show!
    Indiana Jones Adventure – great thrill ride
    Jungle Cruise – new effects were added for the 50th raising this above the same ride at WDW

Aladdin Storytime – cute if you like simple stage productions
    Tarzan Treehouse – some great views, same a Swiss Treehouse just with different theming

NEW ORLEANS SQUARE

Pirates of the Caribbean – Disneyland classic
    Haunted Mansion – Disneyland classic
    Disney Gallery – usually has great exhibits. Don’t miss the view from the balcony

CRITTER COUNTRY

Splash Mountain – fun ride, very similar to WDW. There is a single rider system for this rode

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh – bad knockoff of the WDW version
    Davy Crocket Explorer Canoes – long line, not worth it – ride a boat

FRONTIERLAND

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – essentially the same but fun to ride
    Mark Twain Riverboat/Columbia Sailing Ship – nice tour around our Tom Sawyer island

Tom Sawyer Island – unless you have kids that need to lose some energy. See the island from the Mark Twain

TOMORROWLAND

Space Mountain – currently being refurbished but should be awesome
    Monorail – great view of Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure

Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster – basically the same as BL Spin at WDW but we have a cool "e-mail a pic home" option at the end. Also - we have a 'play at home' component.

Honey I Shrunk the Audience – same show
    Innoventions – same concept as Epcot; nice if a really hot afternoon
    Autopia – same concept
    Astro Orbitor – same as WDW
    Star Tours – same as WDW
    Submarine Lagoon under rehab – possible new ride

TOONTOWN

Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin – Great concept and a fun ride

Everything else – designed for small kid entertainment

FANTASYLAND

It's A Small World – the best one
    Alice in Wonderland – DL exclusive
    Pinocchio Daring Journey – DL exclusive
    Matterhorn – great thrill ride
    Story Book Canal Books – DL exclusive
    Castle /Snow White’s Grotto

Mr Toad's Wild Ride – same as the former WDW, but since WDW no longer has this ride, it makes the GOLD list

Mad Tea Party – same as WDW
    Peter Pan Flight – same as WDW
    Snow White Scary Adventure – same as WDW
    Caroussel – same as WDW
    Dumbo – same as WDW
    Casey Jr Circus Train – see the same sites from Story Book Canal Boats, only better

MOUSELANIOUS

Fantasmic! – Incredible show, a must see
    Fireworks – new show coming soon, can’t wait

Snow White Enchanted Musical – if you like Disney stage productions, go and see this one
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies – fun show

Thanks for reading. I hope this was helpful

RU
    Grrreat guide!!! I just joined VF. Thanks for sharing your wonderful work with all Disney fans.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

I am glad to see many people are using this guide. I just made some edits/additions.

Haunted Mansion Holiday is added to the list
    Space Mountain is updated
    Subs future is updated
    It's A Small World Holiday is added to the list
    The 50th Fireworks; Remember...Dreams Come True is added
    Snow White...An Enchanting Musical is updated

Enjoy! And as always I am happy to help.
    RU

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Good list, although I'd still like to hear about stuff in Toontown even though its for little kids. :-)
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Very good point. I will be at WDW late April/early May. I will be sure to check out Toontown Fair so I can compare it to Mickey's Toontown a little better. On the surface, from what I know, they are pretty similar. I will update my list in mid May.

RU

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    Not that I am by any means a Disney Land expert (since I've only been once) but this entire list was so incredibly helpful on my trip last Summer! As for Toon town, in my opinion, I like Disney Land's version better. I don't remember enough to compare the two, although at DL, there were more buildings a normal "town" would have.
    PS- when will you be at WDW? I'll be down april 27-30th
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Quote Originally Posted by ru42
    Very good point. I will be at WDW late April/early May. I will be sure to check out Toontown Fair so I can compare it to Mickey's Toontown a little better. On the surface, from what I know, they are pretty similar. I will update my list in mid May.

RU
    Thanks! I'm an adult, but I still ride and explore everything in toontown in WDW, so when I go to Disneyland this May, I'm going to explore all of their toontown.

Also because when we booked our trip we get made 'honorary' citizens of toontown one morning... this should be amusing. Me and my dad.

Oh and we get a princess lunch. Lol. I'm REALLY looking forward to my trip.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

TinkerBell702 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I am a huge WDW fan. I visited DL for my first time last week. WDW by far has so much more to see and the food is way better. Two things. Besides the seating arrangements Fantasmic is better in DL. Fantasy Land is is better at DL
    Annual Passholder.

mechurchlady is offline My hero is Gurgi who wanted only friends and an apple.
    In the back seat of life or in front of a computer in California.
    I have been going to disneyland since about 1960 and have been there at least 300 times probably. Your guide is the best I have ever seen and I have never seen the site you link to.

Toontown in DL should not be brushed off as just a kids land. At christmas you will see garlands with tires for the gas station for example. It was very hard to build the area because of the crookedness. Also there are lots of places to explore and inside jokes that kids would not get at times.

Aladdin is a kids' show but a great place for resting while kids have fun.

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies should include great way to beat heat and snack.

EXCELLENT GUIDE

great guide!
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

Benjo is offline Cranium Commando
    This really is a terrific resource. I really had to search all over the internet before our trip two weeks ago, and your guide was the best information that I could find. For some reason, the DL internet fanbase isn't as comprehensive as all the WDW info and discussions out there. Thanks for this; it made our trip much easier to plan and navigate.

You see the hat? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast