Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss Disneyland during Winter Holidays thread! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by laughingplace My lovely wife has also never been to the Pacific. Is there a simple way for us to devote a half or full day of our ...
    JDarlingDLCP is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Disneyland during Winter Holidays thread!

Quote Originally Posted by laughingplace View Post
    My lovely wife has also never been to the Pacific. Is there a simple way for us to devote a half or full day of our trip to getting her to the beach? If so, is it worth going that time of year? Id rather not rent a car for length of stay, but I would be willing to do so for one day. Or maybe there's a bus or something? Thanks again
    Sounds like a great idea! Basically as long as you can get to the Pacific Highway (your hotel should be able to help w/ directions), you can get to a beach. I would say go for it (unless it's raining)! You can rent a car from Downtown Disney, or your hotel might have some options for you too for a day rental.

Here's my favorite detour :

Venice Beach
    It's about a 45 minute (one way) drive from Disneyland, and is a great place to spend a few hours walking and browsing. There are lots of shops you can stroll by, places to eat, etc. It's beautiful any time of year that the sun is shining. Plan on it being a bit windy that time of year - and possibly cold, but even in a sweater, it's beautiful. Santa Monica peir has a great little "theme park" of it's own too. But if you want something more romantic and low key, walk along the beach and select a restruant there. (Great seafood abounds.) Want something simple? There are some great little pizza places there too.

If you're looking for a whole day-away, I would completely suggest going to San Deigo area. I have tons of recommendations there. Enough that it may be worth starting a new thread!

Narrow it down for me a little bit and I'd be glad to help you find something special.
    Disneyland Annual passholder and proud Celebrations Press Contributing Author!
    Owner of Disneyland Kennel frequent VIP!
    Next trip to Disneyland - Is it the weekend yet?
    Finally in Twitter (JDisneyland). Follow my adventures there!

laughingplace is offline A-Ticket holder

Dont want anything as big as San Diego. My impression of Venice Beach is that it is a real people watching spot and probably very entertaining, but maybe a little more of a carnival than Im looking for. I saw something on a Disney travel planning site about a "Catalina Express" excursion, which I thought might be a bus to and from DL to the ocean. Im thinking on a Saturday when parks are mobbed, we rent a car and drive and hour or so to a nice beach and spend half a day. Thats more what I have in mind, if such a thing is possible. THanks again

That's probably a pretty accurate statement about Venice. 1/2 the entertainment is the wide array of people that are there.

Hm.. the only Catalina Express (Schedules & Fares // Catalina Express) I'm familiar with is a ferry that shuttles folks from mainland California to Catalina Island.

The closest nice beach would probably be Huntington. It's a bit more, well, beachy and definately less of a tourist destination than Venice. It's only about 1/2 an hour down Harbor I believe. I'd ask the rental company or your hotel concierge for directions to be sure. (Seems like there is always some sort of construction going on in LA to cause detours.) Laguna beach isn't too far away either. Unless the weather is poor, you should be fine that time of year.

Laguna beach is fairly rocky in some places (though that makes the crashing of the waves so much more spectacular.

Huntingon Beach is more stereotypical So Cal. It's pretty well known for it's surfing. I believe there is a pier there and long stretches of sandy beach to walk on.

To add a touch of romance, try sticking around until sunset if the weather is good.

laughingplace is offline A-Ticket holder

Huntington sounds PERFECT. Thank you so much for your help. If you ever need pointers for WDW, or Chicago. please give a shout.

Will do! It's looking like it'll be at least a year before I get back to WDW... unless I can talk Lou into a research trip? Lou - if you're reading this, will sponsor a Blue Bayou lunch for a WDW on property hotel to "review" and passes! (Hey - a girl can dream, can't she?) In fact, I wouldn't mind taking the DisneyDog once they open a pet friendly resort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12