Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss Disneyland during Winter Holidays thread! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; What do you love about Disneyland during the winter holidays? Any questions about it? As for me - it's not Christmas until I've done a Disney park and for me, ...
    JDarlingDLCP is offline A-Ticket holder

Lightbulb Disneyland during Winter Holidays thread!

What do you love about Disneyland during the winter holidays?

Any questions about it?

As for me - it's not Christmas until I've done a Disney park and for me, it's usually Disneyland (due to proximity). I've never been a fan of Thanksgiving, so I'm THRILLED that Disney is getting a start on Christmas/winter holidays early. Last weekend, on my last visit, many stores were already filled with Christmas merchandise, and the entry gates to Disneyland had already been decked out in their winter finery. The Tree wasn't up yet, but everything else seems well underway.

Being born and raised as a California girl (cue Beach Boys song here ) I love Disney's "snow". Aside from seeing all the little kids go nuts over it (which is heartwarmingly adorable) I find it probably one of the most romantic moments possible - snow that won't freeze you, starlit sky, the end of the fireworks, music and laughter in the air (cue sigh here)

What are some of your favorite Disney holiday memories? Let's get some chatter on the board!
    Disneyland Annual passholder and proud Celebrations Press Contributing Author!
    Owner of Disneyland Kennel frequent VIP!
    Next trip to Disneyland - Is it the weekend yet?
    Finally in Twitter (JDisneyland). Follow my adventures there!

Stitchers is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Disneyland during Winter Holidays thread!

I really like the Holiday Layout, sometimes even more than the original layout itself. I usually go only during the Holidays and that is what I get. I went to Disneyland during the summer and was missing the layout and the colors and the thrill. I went on the Haunted Mansion and for the first time in years saw it without the Nightmare Layout and it was weird, I really wanted the Holidays to be in the Haunted Mansion. Granted, the holiday layout does not usually take over the ENTIRE park, but enough to put you in the spirit.

So my memory would have to be the Haunted Mansion HOLIDAYFIED!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

What's a disneyland?

Stitchers is offline A-Ticket holder

Disneyland is the original theme park by Walt Disney. The first park before WDW.

Jaxum is offline D-Ticket Holder

I just got back from DL a few days after attending the D23 event there. I have never taken the chance before to enjoy the parks during the holidays. Work is usually sending me somewhere and prevented me from going.
    I agree that the over lay is incredible. I also enjoyed the 'it's a small world holiday' overlay. Very well done. I did get a lot a video during the trip and plan on getting it up on YouTube shortly. Actually some of it already is, but not the Candlelight. Still working on it!
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney Days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days in the parks for 2010: 63!
    Disney Days for 2011:
    Disneyland: (0) / WDW:(17)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 17!

D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchers View Post
    Disneyland is the original theme park by Walt Disney. The first park before WDW.
    Oh, that cute little amusement park thing on the west coast? The one with a couple of rides? Yes, I remember it now. I always thought that was Busch Gardens or something.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Oh, that cute little amusement park thing on the west coast? The one with a couple of rides? Yes, I remember it now. I always thought that was Busch Gardens or something.
    Yeah, the better version of the Magic Kingdom
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Cool Re: Disneyland during Winter Holidays thread!

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Just a "couple" of rides? lol Disneyland park has more attractions than the East Coast counter part.

laughingplace is offline A-Ticket holder

Please help me with a planning question . . .
    We'd like to go before or after Thanksgiving 2010. Planning our exact date will depend on when the Haunted Mansion and Small World overlays will be done and the attractions reopened. Can anyone tell me their best guess as to the EARLIEST date these will both be done? We'd like to see both, but avoid the holiday crushes. Thanks

Smile Re: Disneyland during Winter Holidays thread!

Quote Originally Posted by laughingplace View Post
    Please help me with a planning question . . .
    We'd like to go before or after Thanksgiving 2010. Planning our exact date will depend on when the Haunted Mansion and Small World overlays will be done and the attractions reopened. Can anyone tell me their best guess as to the EARLIEST date these will both be done? We'd like to see both, but avoid the holiday crushes. Thanks
    Happy to help!

The Haunted Mansion Holiday usually opens in late September (the last week in September). It's perfect for celebrating both Christmas and Halloween, so it stays up all fall/winter and closes down in early Jan (traditionally).

It's a Small World holiday usually opens up in November (usually early November, when all the decore changes over to the winter Holiday scheme) and closes down the same time the Haunted Mansion Holiday does.

So it sounds like after Thanksgiving is perfect! (If you can avoid it, stay away from weekends. They can get MOBBED with locals!)

You don't want to miss the holiday fireworks either if you can. They're usually the BEST display all year long.

Thanks for the prompt reply, J. Are you the J of "Celebrations" fame?
    I was planning on going down Nov 17 - 21. Do you think Small World will be back up by then. I would hate for my wife to miss it!

Quote Originally Posted by laughingplace View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reply, J. Are you the J of "Celebrations" fame?
    I was planning on going down Nov 17 - 21. Do you think Small World will be back up by then. I would hate for my wife to miss it!
    That's me alright! Happy to answer any questions I can (or if I can't, happy to take a research trip to figure out an answer for ya)! I've even been known to save spots for fireworks...

I think the first issue of 2010 has some info about Disneyland during the holidays too.

I think it's a safe bet that Small World will be open for their Holiday overlay during that time of the year.

I don't blame you for wanting to share it with your wife! It's my favorite time to ride that one!

Really enjoy your work in the magazine. As a former writer and Disney fanatic, I wish I had the knowledge to contribute something. I think its great that you have that outlet for sharing the magic with others and "giving something back."
    I think we'll go for the pre-Thanksgiving dates, instead of waiting til early Dec. I went in about 2000 or 2001 around Veterans Day, and both overlays were already in place. The crowds that week were great, and awful that weekend. Im hoping that the week before Thanksgiving gives us light crowds.
    May I ask another question that a native might be able to help with ?

Thanks for the compliment! Glad to help and share the magic with other Disney fans!

Ask away! I'm happy to help anyway I can.

My lovely wife has also never been to the Pacific. Is there a simple way for us to devote a half or full day of our trip to getting her to the beach? If so, is it worth going that time of year? Id rather not rent a car for length of stay, but I would be willing to do so for one day. Or maybe there's a bus or something? Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast