Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss Wheelchair bound in Disneyland - The experiment in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; On May 16th, I'll be making a day trip up to Disneyland with some friends, but this trip will be different than any other. I will be wheelchair bound and ...
    JDarlingDLCP is offline A-Ticket holder

Wheelchair bound in Disneyland - The experiment

On May 16th, I'll be making a day trip up to Disneyland with some friends, but this trip will be different than any other.

I will be wheelchair bound and recovering from surgery. I just couldn't think of a better distraction from waiting to find out if I join the ranks of cancer patients, than a trip to Disneyland Resort!

Here are the details:
    I will be traveling with an couple and their young son. So they'll have a stroller, and I'll have a wheelchair (not an ECV). I will be able to transfer out of it, however I've heard that I will probably feel like I've been socked in the gut - HARD. So I expect that things like The MatterHorn (due to the low seatbelt and jerky motion combo) MAY not be a good idea. However, Splash Mountain is definately okay.

I won't really have any food restrictions. (Yeah!)

This is a chance for me (and you) to view Disneyland from perhaps a different perspective than we have before.

Does anyone have any idea of things I should check out from this new perspective?
    Disneyland Annual passholder and proud Celebrations Press Contributing Author!
    Owner of Disneyland Kennel frequent VIP!
    Next trip to Disneyland - Is it the weekend yet?
    Finally in Twitter (JDisneyland). Follow my adventures there!

tdf192 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Wheelchair bound in Disneyland - The experiment

My Dad and I had to wheel my mother around a number of times after mosquito and red ant bites on the ankle have stopped her from being able to walk and put weight on that foot.

There are some good things and bad things (having been in WDW and not DL might be different for you). All the rides she could go on were great for queing and the CMs were all great to us.

Riding on the wheelchair access vehicles at Toy Story mania was really neat, as is getting to be able to watch the live shows from the front (I was lucky enough to have Belle give me a cheeky wink :P)

Something you need to be weary of is counter service restaurants are sometimes horrendous to navigate through and position the chair at the table.

And finally "other people." There will be some who cut across you as you travel around the park and have on occaisions seemed oblivious to people who just stand in the way or, a pet hate, stand right in front of the wheelchair access.

Anyway, it is definitely a different experience but we found it generally good. Hope your trip goes well and your health turns out ok

JDarlingDLCP is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Wheelchair bound in Disneyland - The experiment

Thanks for the info!

My surgery was post-poned. Thankfully it went great! So we're doing a "Road to Recovery" meet this Sunday in the parks! I'll be rockin' the wheelchair then.
    Disneyland Annual passholder and proud Celebrations Press Contributing Author!
    Owner of Disneyland Kennel frequent VIP!
    Next trip to Disneyland - Is it the weekend yet?
    Finally in Twitter (JDisneyland). Follow my adventures there!