Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss First trip to Disneyland in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; My DH and I might be taking a quick trip to California in February (He wants to see some NHRA race) and we will only have one day to do ...
    WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(

First trip to Disneyland

My DH and I might be taking a quick trip to California in February (He wants to see some NHRA race) and we will only have one day to do Disneyland. I need some advice on what is a must see for a first timer. I am sentimental and have always wanted to go and walk where Walt walked since he died before WDW opened.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

babyladykatie is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: First trip to Disneyland

I've only been to Disneyland a couple times myself and I'll be honest, when I first walked onto Main Street and saw the castle I teared up. It was such a moving moment for me. As for things to do, are you going to both Disneyland and California Adventure? If not, at Disneyland, I know that they are planning to take out the Aladdin show but I'm not sure when. If it's still there, DEFINITELY see that. It's wonderful! Also, ride Space Mountain. I'm not a fan of space mountain at WDW, but the one at DL is AWESOME! I was SO hoping that when they refurbed it at WDW that it would be like the one at DL.

I haven't seen World of Color but I'd assume that would be something you wouldn't want to miss.

Also, I had the great privilege of being able to dine at Club 33 a few years ago. Even if you can't dine there it's cool to find the building, its in New Orleans Square and the street number is a very ornate "33". You can't miss it.

I'm headed out to Anaheim tomorrow for Destination D but we sadly won't have time to visit Disneyland. Have a great time!!!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Walt Disney World College Program Alumni - 2003
    *Currently doing everything I possibly can to go back
    to work at WDW.

1989 - Off Property, First Trip to WDW
    1994 - Polynesian Resort
    2000 - Off Property
    2003 - Walt Disney World College Program, Merchandise Hostess, Disney-MGM Studios
    2004 - Off Property
    2006 - Boardwalk
    2007 - Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa
    2009 - Coronado Springs, Got engaged at WDW!!!
    February 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    December 2010 - Caribbean Beach
    February 2011 - 4-night Disney Cruise on the Disney Dream
    2012 - Disney Wedding!!!

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Donna View Post
    My DH and I might be taking a quick trip to California in February (He wants to see some NHRA race) and we will only have one day to do Disneyland. I need some advice on what is a must see for a first timer. I am sentimental and have always wanted to go and walk where Walt walked since he died before WDW opened.
    OOOooooo...! The 50th anniversary NHRA Winternationals in Pomona! Guy thing...COOL!!!

Anyway, I know I'll forget some things, but we were at Disneyland for the first time in 23 years this past June, and it was like visiting an old friend!
    Make sure to catch the Disney Museum in Town Square...it's VERY cool and a must see for any "Diznut"...!
    I also made sure I found the Sherman brothers new window (in a door, actually) on Main Street.
    Don't miss PoTC, or HM...I'll just say that the exterior and overall Pirates ride is longer than WDW and HM's exterior is also different and fun.
    Mr. Toads Wild Ride...
    The Matterhorn...
    The newer/retro Mark VII Monorails...
    As stated before, Space Mountain for sure...!
    I know I'm missin' some, but you get the idea...just download a park map and info. and plan it out!

And above all...
    HAVE A BLAST...!!!
    Last edited by Dizisit; 09-22-2010 at 01:56 PM.
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

babyladykatie is offline C-Ticket Holder

OMG I can't believe I forgot to mention Mr. Toad! DEF do that. The HM is amazing also. Excellent suggestions Diz!
    Walt Disney World College Program Alumni - 2003
    *Currently doing everything I possibly can to go back
    to work at WDW.

1989 - Off Property, First Trip to WDW
    1994 - Polynesian Resort
    2000 - Off Property
    2003 - Walt Disney World College Program, Merchandise Hostess, Disney-MGM Studios
    2004 - Off Property
    2006 - Boardwalk
    2007 - Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa
    2009 - Coronado Springs, Got engaged at WDW!!!
    February 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    December 2010 - Caribbean Beach
    February 2011 - 4-night Disney Cruise on the Disney Dream
    2012 - Disney Wedding!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babyladykatie View Post
    OMG I can't believe I forgot to mention Mr. Toad! DEF do that. The HM is amazing also. Excellent suggestions Diz!
    Thanks! You too!

I also forgot to mention that we never made it to DCA, and never really intended to, anyway...Carsland was (and is) still under construction and we were one week early for World of Color, so we just really wanted to focus on Walt's original dream.

Quote Originally Posted by babyladykatie View Post
    I've only been to Disneyland a couple times myself and I'll be honest, when I first walked onto Main Street and saw the castle I teared up. It was such a moving moment for me. As for things to do, are you going to both Disneyland and California Adventure? If not, at Disneyland, I know that they are planning to take out the Aladdin show but I'm not sure when. If it's still there, DEFINITELY see that. It's wonderful! Also, ride Space Mountain. I'm not a fan of space mountain at WDW, but the one at DL is AWESOME! I was SO hoping that when they refurbed it at WDW that it would be like the one at DL.

I haven't seen World of Color but I'd assume that would be something you wouldn't want to miss.

Also, I had the great privilege of being able to dine at Club 33 a few years ago. Even if you can't dine there it's cool to find the building, its in New Orleans Square and the street number is a very ornate "33". You can't miss it.

I'm headed out to Anaheim tomorrow for Destination D but we sadly won't have time to visit Disneyland. Have a great time!!!
    Oh my! Sooooo jealous of your Destination D trip...AND you got to dine at Club 33...

WyckedPhoenix is offline D-Ticket Holder

For sure check out Space Mountain and Mr. Toad's. I recommend Indiana Jones, one of my favs! If you like the history, for sure look for Walt's apartment over the firehouse and the gold spike. I know there is more but my mind is spinning with all the things I might recommend, haha!
    *Jennifer Lynn*
    NDW #38
    Fist EVER WDW trip in October 2011!
    Things about me....

Oooo...! yea! Reminded me...we found Walt's apartment, too! So cool to think that he used to spend the night there to wake up to his Park! But, Indy was closed for the day and we sooooo very much wanted to ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by WyckedPhoenix View Post
    I know there is more but my mind is spinning with all the things I might recommend, haha!
    I hear ya' there!!! Sooo MUCH Magic to remember...!!!

Jaxum is offline D-Ticket Holder

The first thing you want to do is hit Fantasyland. This will allow you to enjoy Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland, both will have long lines later in the day, so you can move on to other attractions.
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney Days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days in the parks for 2010: 63!
    Disney Days for 2011:
    Disneyland: (0) / WDW:(17)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 17!

D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

We made our first trip to the left coast last June after years at WDW. In addition to the much cooler weather, I really liked that DLR and DCA were so close and you could hold simultaneous fastpasses in each park. I would recommend a PH ticket becaue there are some really great things to do in each park and very convenient to walk back and forth. For one day, I would be at rope drop on Main Street, then ride Indy, PotC, HM, and Pooh. After this, head to Fantasyland for Alice followed by IASW and Toon Town's Roger Rabbit spin. Take the train back to Main Stree to see the diorama, thne grab FPs for SM before heading to DCA.
    At DCA, turn right and grab a FP for Soarin', then follow the trail to Grizzly Rapids. Keep to the trail and head to the winery to purchase a picnic dinner package for WoC. Head to Paradise Pier for California Screamin' and Maliboomer. By now, you can proably pick up a FP for ToT, then stop for lunch.
    Head back to DLR for SM, Matterhorn, Captain EO. See if there is anything else you want to see in DLR, then head back to DCA for Soarin, ToT, Monster's Inc and anythng else you like in Animation Courtyard. Plan Animation Courtyard around seeing Aladdin and plan on getting in line 30 minutes early for the show.
    After this, it will probably be time to pick up your dinner and enjoy Paradise Pier until it is time for WoC.
    I know this looks like a lot, but my daughter and I did this and more one day on our trip.

Thank you so much everyone! We will only have one day so I think I will stick to Disneyland and leave California Adventure for another time. I will have to print out all these instructions so I don't forget anything!

Resorts we have tried;
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    Coronado Springs -2009

BrotherHuet is offline B-Ticket Holder

Read my post in the sticky thread at the begining of this forum. I literally compare EVERYTHING between disneyland/world. Might give you a good sense of what you should see and what you should skip.

I loved Disneyland every bit as much as I love WDW
    August 1983 Contemporary (Just one year old!)
    August 1986 Contemporary
    August 1987 Contemporary
    August 1988 Contemporary
    August 1989 Polynesian
    August 1990 Contemporary
    August 1991 Contemporary
    August 1992 Polynesian
    August 1993 Polynesian
    August 1995 All Star Sports/Polynesian
    August 1996 All Star Music/Polynesian
    January 1998 Polynesian
    March 2000 All Star Music (Senior class trip)
    July/August 2003 Off Property
    September 2006 All Star Music
    January 2007 Pop Century
    October 2009 Disneyland-Alpine Inn (off property)
    November 2010 Pop Century
    June 2012 Grand Californian

Hi again. So we are now thinking of lengthening our trip and bringing the kids. (14 & 8) We had wanted to stay at the one of the hotels on property, but might get a little too pricey. Does anyone have any suggestions of good hotels nearby? I saw a Courtyard that looked nice. We have never been to California and do not know the area at all.
    Thanks

Resorts we have tried;
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    Coronado Springs -2009

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Donna View Post
    Hi again. So we are now thinking of lengthening our trip and bringing the kids. (14 & 8) We had wanted to stay at the one of the hotels on property, but might get a little too pricey. Does anyone have any suggestions of good hotels nearby? I saw a Courtyard that looked nice. We have never been to California and do not know the area at all.
    Thanks
    Hey Donna!

There are tons of hotels off property but within walking distance, look for hotels located on Harbor Blvd. Candy Cane Inn comes to mind, I'd want to stay there just because the name is so cute! Onsite at Disneyland is very expensive, I'd definitely consider staying across the street.

Stayed at a cute little place which was a little further but still within walking distance, wish I could remember what it was called! If I remember I'll post it here.

I'm not sure when you are thinking of visiting DL but hopefully you can go during the week, weekends get pretty busy year round.

My favorites at DL: PotC, Space Mountain, Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise (they have piranhas!), Alice, Pinocchio, Mr Toad, Indy ride and Mattherhorn, just because they are exclusive to DL, IASW and Pooh is cute. Check out New Orleans Square and don't miss the HM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast