Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss I'm going to Disneyland!!! Input requested in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; So, when I joined here in the spring the thought at that time was that my next Disney trip would be a return visit to WDW sometime towards the end ...
    mouselover4ever is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm going to Disneyland!!! Input requested

So, when I joined here in the spring the thought at that time was that my next Disney trip would be a return visit to WDW sometime towards the end of 2012. Well that is still the likely time of my return to my favorite place in the world, but now I have an outlet in the meantime

Turns out I am going to Disneyland for 5 days next month! I can barely contain my excitement. About going to Disney (anything Disney gets me excited), walking where Walt walked, experiencing the attractions that CA has but FL doesn't, new Little Mermaid, Star Tours 2.0, World of Color, Soundsational Parade, seeing the developing new Cars land, and I'll be experiencing it with a family including 2 children, none of whom have been to Disney anywhere!

The day I got the phone call, I was literally screaming and laughing out loud with glee! My friend (the wife and mom of this family) thought I was a bit nuts, but she said she kinda expected an over the top reaction. Anyhow, since I found out on Wednesday I have been reading a lot about Disneyland and starting to plan. Which has been great fun and a bit more challenging than planning my previous FL trips (because I am very familiar with WDW). However, this has been detrimental to my studies! Soon I need to put it aside and focus on school again. But some things had to planned quickly as the trip is with such short notice.

So far, I have made priority seating reservations for a character breakfast at Plaza Inn in DL . I really wanted to go to dinner at Goofy's Kitchen also, but my friend is not sure about leaving the park to go eat. We will have 3 full and 2 half days in the parks and I thought if we did it on a DL day we could ride the monorail over and enjoy a nice dinner and a little "down time" for the kids (slightly less stimulation perhaps). What do those experienced at DL think? Will this take more than a few hours out of our day? When I go to WDW I like to do a sit down meal at least once a day (it's nice to slow down, sit down, and be in A/C).

The other area I have worked on is hotel reservations. Staying onsite isn't in the budget, and there will be 3 adults and 2 kids so mostly was looking at suite type places. Think I've decided Desert Palms is the best bet (Yuha Kid's Suite). Also considering the Comfort Inn Maingate (2 BR/2 bath suite). Does anybody have any experience with either of these?

Also, is it really walking distance (with 2 kids) from the corner of Katella and Harbor? How well does ART work, especially at opening and closing? I hope (although I don't know if it will work out with 2 kids and 5 people) to be at the parks for rope drop.

I am sure as I plan I will have more questions and request more input since I am unfamiliar with DLR. I am using Unofficial Guide and Touring Plans to help me though.
    happily afflicted with DOCD (Disney Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

Re: I'm going to Disneyland!!! Input requested

It is walking distance but it can still be far for the end of the day when everyone is tired. Cabs will take you but they look at you very crankily so tip well. There is a place called Mimi's up the road by the Howard Johnson's. Really good food!

Try the Blue Bayou!! Yum!!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Thanks for the input Lori, I had thought that. Looks like we'll end up at the Clarion next door to the Desert Palms (all booked for the suite we wanted). We are going to try out the ART, or just drive to the parks if it proves to be too far for little legs.

Another question, how is it getting into Fantasmic! @ DL? In WDW had the dinner package. They offer a dessert premium viewing at DL but it is a bit of a price gouge I think. For the 5 of us will be $280 basically for the seat. But thinking about standing for the show after standing/walking all day and the waiting in line, etc. am considering that it might be worth it. What do you think? We won't be able to go to the 2nd show to avoid crowds as the children will be traveling with will be pushing it to last until 9 pm. So worth it or not? I really would like this family to experience Fantasmic! (one of my faves) but don't think they will wait hours in line to stand up to watch it, but also don't know if it's worth $300.

We are planning on doing World of Color Picnic package, at $15 that is a much easier choice.

Thanks for anyone that has any thoughts on this.

I only saw Fantasmic once while I was there and we did the dessert package. It was nice but the viewing is all on the same level so if you're in the back you may end up standing. If I remember correctly we had to check in ahead of time to get our seats. If you want the first row you have to be there early to check in.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Loren is offline A-Ticket holder

You have to make sure to check out "Billy Hill and the Hillbillies" at least once.
    Also some Fastpass advice:
    The Fastpasses for "Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin" are on a different system than the rest of Disneyland so you can go get one of those while you still are in the no-Fastpass window. California Adventure is on it's own Fastpass system also, so you can go to Disneyland, get some Fastpasses, then go right over to California Adventure and get some more Fastpasses before waiting the two hours.

Another question, about walking to the parks from Good Neighbor Hotel.

We will be staying at the Clarion (near the convention center), looking at the maps it appears that the Toy Story parking lot is pretty close to our hotel. I am wondering if it would be possible to walk there and grab the Disney tram transporting guests from that parking lot to the parks?

Does anybody know anything about this parking lot? I am not sure if it is even possible to walk into it and hop on a tram, or if you can't walk into the lot/garage or get on the tram without a parking ticket. We will have the ART passes, but I am hesitant to trust that as our primary transportation from what I have read. With children in our group I am not sure whether the walk will be reasonable (especially at the end of the day) and am also looking for ways to make it easy to return to the hotel midday.

Just hoping somebody who has actually been there before can let me know if this is something that might work, especially in the evenings when the wait for the ART sounds so horrendous.

Thanks!

matt4mickey is offline A-Ticket holder

[QUOTE=mouselover4ever;958626]
    Also, is it really walking distance (with 2 kids) from the corner of Katella and Harbor? How well does ART work, especially at opening and closing? I hope (although I don't know if it will work out with 2 kids and 5 people) to be at the parks for rope drop.
    [/QUOTE
    yes the hostel are convinced to Disneyland i a ways walk from kettle to harbor bolverd its not far and the holtles are on Disney hostel are close to the roseort
    every time i went to Disneyland and stayed at the hotels ive walk to the rosort
    Last edited by matt4mickey; 07-03-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    welcome to to the hounted manchine

I AM D23 member sice noveber 2011
    [

matt4mickey is offline A-Ticket holder

mouselover4ever;961244]Another question, about walking to the parks from Good Neighbor Hotel.

We will be staying at the Clarion (near the convention center), looking at the maps it appears that the Toy Story parking lot is pretty close to our hotel. I am wondering if it would be possible to walk there and grab the Disney tram transporting guests from that parking lot to the parks?
    ackley depens were you on staying if your staying on solth harbor bolverd then i wold recomond takeing the bus form the toy story lot if your staying on kettla bye the convation cente

i wold recmond walking to disneyland drive that will take you to downtown disney main entace
    or take go from kettla to harbor bolberverd to disneyland main gate
    welcome to to the hounted manchine

I AM D23 member sice noveber 2011
    [