Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss World of Color Picnic Question in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hi Guys... so Matt and I are working on our dining reservations and planning our trip to Disneyland in August. We're looking at doing the World of Color picnic reservation ...
    missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

World of Color Picnic Question

Hi Guys... so Matt and I are working on our dining reservations and planning our trip to Disneyland in August. We're looking at doing the World of Color picnic reservation thingy, but would like to know what the seating is like that they have reserved for guests participating in this deal. Have any of you done this yet and do you get a decent view of the show? We're only going to have time to see WoC once during our stay, so want to make sure that we get a good seat... would be grateful for your comments! Thanx.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

mouselover4ever is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: World of Color Picnic Question

From what I understand from my readings and asking the CM on the phone (I am planning a first DLR trip for next month):

First, there is no seating for WoC, even with the preferred dining package. The picnic package gets you a FP (the same as if you got a FP yourself), the dining packages (not picnic but the WoC dining) gets you into a preferred viewing area (I believe more in the middle) but it's still standing. I believe the draw to these packages is that you can use your first bit of time in the park experiencing attractions or attaining other FP's. For two people at $16 each I think the picnic would be worth it, you might even consider dining at one of the other locations to get the better viewing area. As I understand it you can pick up your picnic anytime during the day so it could be your lunch or supper (which you likely would spend at least 2/3 that amt on). We are doing it for our July trip with the acceptance that we are basically buying our FP for WoC so we don't have to 'hassle' with that one and can enjoy other attractions in the early hours after park opening.
    happily afflicted with DOCD (Disney Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I just saw World of Color on the 21st of May and it's as spectacular as the first two times I saw it. I haven't done the dining package before but it doesn't seem worth it to me. I've seen World of Color from all three color sections now; Red, Blue, & Yellow. They all offer views that are perfectly fine but this most recent time I saw it from Yellow. I arrived to my color gate about 30 minutes before the show started and had perfect seats. I was at the very front of the very top row and perfectly lined up with Mickey's Fun Wheel.

You'll enjoy the show either way and why spend more money on dining anyway? Basically you're paying for guaranteed seats is what that is.

This is what my view looked like:

The promenade seats about 9,000 people so there's tons of space and ample time to get to your location. I'd wait just outside the color gate and wait until it fills up a little bit before moving into the reserved color section as they tell you to "move all the way down the row"
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

We did the picnic option several times during our trip to DLR/DCA last year and it was definitely the way to go. All the FPs, Picnic, and TS options enter together at the same time. There is no advantage to any option; it is a matter of arriving early enough to enter early as the whole viewing area is first-come, first-served standing room. We entered early and took our picnics with us to eat while waiting for the show when we made the early show. For the later show, we ate our picnics at a table in the park, then grabbed ice cream for the show. I loved the picnic option and use the re-usable bags the picnics come in all the time. For a little fun, order and extra kids meal and wear the glow bracelet. Bring some little chem lights sticks and make yourself a necklace. If you make it through WoC without a tear coming to your eye, I'd be very surprised.

mousterpiece is offline B-Ticket Holder

I've done the picnic package twice (and will be doing it a third time in a few weeks), and I agree with the PP: this is the way to go. I don't doubt that the view's great in each section, but I like not having the hassle of standing in the FP line or having to pay nearly 40 dollars per person for the sit-down dining package.

What's more, the picnics themselves are pretty good, all things considered. The diversity of the food items is also cool, considering what else you can eat at DCA. If you want to have no hassle at all (or minimal hassle), I'd go with the picnic.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Thanks for the info guys - has helped me make up mind - a picnic it is!!!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon