Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss OK, so REALLY how many days needed to do DL? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hi, everyone! Well, I am in the early planning of my first-ever trip to DL for my 40th birthday next year. As a long time veteran of WDW, I am ...
    AllieBee is offline D-Ticket Holder

OK, so REALLY how many days needed to do DL?

Hi, everyone! Well, I am in the early planning of my first-ever trip to DL for my 40th birthday next year. As a long time veteran of WDW, I am out-of-my-mind excited to do to DL!

We will be traveling from the Washington, DC area, so it's a bit of a hike to get there, so we will be allotting a full travel day on each end of our trip. (BTW, it's just me and husband, no kids this time.)

So, with all of this background info, I need to know how many days you would give yourself to see and do everything in the 2 parks. Do you think 2 days is enough? Or do we need 3 as a minimum? We may or may not stay in California longer, not sure, but the priority will be Disneyland, of course.

Please let me know what you think! Oh, and any recs on where to stay are most welcome, too!
    October, 2003 - Wilderness Lodge
    January, 2006 - Disney Magic
    January, 2007 - Windsor Hills Resort
    October, 2007 - Bonnet Creek Resort
    January, 2008 - Disney Magic
    January, 2010 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28-February 5, 2011 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 12-January 15, 2012 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28 -January 31, 2012 - Pop Century

Read my pre-trip report!
    http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Re: OK, so REALLY how many days needed to do DL?

I'm gonna' go with 3 days at DLR.
    My reasoning being that when we go to WDW we will never again get less than 6-day hoppers. The first 4 days we essentially do a park a day, and use the extra 2 to hop around and do the things we missed or do the things we liked again.
    We were at DLR last June, and were only able to have one day and hadn't been in 23 years. We only wanted to do "where Walt walked" (Disneyland ) because of that.
    World of Color has been open at DCA since mid-June of '10 and Cars Land may be open depending on when y'all are goin' so if that were the case we'd definitely be doin' at least 3 days there this time!
    Last edited by Dizisit; 07-17-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

i would agree with 3 days. there are 2 parks and if you try to see them each, i would say you need a full day for each, then you can use your 3rd day to see what you missed or do something else like a tour. i went to dl last year only for half a day (plans dodnt work out) and we still saw the highlights of each, but there was so much i wanted to see and do. hopefully ill get back there in a couple years. have a great trip keep us posted
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

I'll echo what was said above. Three days is the minimum. It allows two days for Disneyland (MK) and one day for DCA. if you can however I suggest 4 days allowing for do overs and a more leisurely pace. the better half and I took 4 days back in 2010 and think it was just right.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I've visited only once so far, and that was about ten years ago, before California Adventure. I knocked off the entire park in just one day, and that was with time to spare. Same way it doesn't take an entire day to see the MK on the east coast, it doesn't take that much time to see the one on the west.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

mousterpiece is offline B-Ticket Holder

There's no doubt that you CAN do both parks in two days, but the more attractions and shows that are added makes it harder to do both parks in two days without feeling rushed or stressed. Obviously, going without kids makes it easier (you may end up skipping out on a number of attractions that take up a long time in line), but if you want to see World of Color, Fantasmic, and the fireworks (presuming they're all going on when you're there), I think it's best to give yourself the wiggle room of a third day.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

I would definitely say 3 days, minimum. 2 days in Disneyland and 1 in DCA. Personally, I would prefer 3 days in DL; it's a lot bigger than the Magic Kingdom. The wife and I did a pilgrimage out there a couple years ago and spent 5 days (3 1/2 in DL and 1 1/2 in DCA). I wouldn't change a thing about it.

If we can dream it, we can do it

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Five days for those two parks is overkill. I can't do five days at WDW, much less DL.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

If you wanted to see at least 75% of what WDW has to offer, 5 days won't even get you close.

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Five days for those two parks is overkill. I can't do five days at WDW, much less DL.
    I guess that depends on how you do it. We took our time, ate at all the "sit down" joints, got there late, left early, and basically just relaxed and took it all in.
    I'm sure if you only wanted to ride Space Mountain you could do it in half a day or less. It really just boils down to how much you want to do and how much of a hurry you want to be in.

If we can dream it, we can do it

mousterpiece is offline B-Ticket Holder

Five days, right now, may be close to overkill for DL, but with the advent of Cars Land and the complete renovation of the entry to DCA, I'm not sure that it'll be as much of a waste next summer. But then again, when my wife and I spent a week at WDW this past March, we both felt like we'd barely gotten enough done. If we could've done 2 weeks, we would've, just to soak everything up.
    Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I usually do 4 or 5 days at Disneyland. Two just isn't enough.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Rtobe is offline C-Ticket Holder

Three days will give you time to stop and see some things more leisurely and as prior posters have mentioned, fireworks, Fantasmic and World of Color.

Disneyland is a locals park - more crowded on weekends, which means longer wait times, you can definately see more faster during the week. Also some of the attractions that you might be tempted to skip if you are a WDW veteran are different and worth a look - like Autopia - very cool theming.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

You can see the majority of the parks in 2 days...however, I always allot for an extra day when planning my trips in case theres anything I missed or want to do again. We went to DL in 2004, and 3 days was perfect and even allowed for a little down time and hotel exploration time.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

I'm glad I found this thread. My Fiance has found out about Carsland opening up, and he now wants to add DL to our honeymoon ( I'm the Disney nut, not him!!), so I was trying to figure out how many days we would need. 3 sounds perfect!
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast