Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss Planning frist DL trip in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; So we thinking about checking out DL for the first time. Not sure where to stay, like GC though. They don't have a Magical Express type bus do they? Guess ...
    Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Planning frist DL trip

So we thinking about checking out DL for the first time. Not sure where to stay, like GC though. They don't have a Magical Express type bus do they? Guess we'll have to rent a car?
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

mouselover4ever is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Planning frist DL trip

Enjoy your DLR trip! I am a WDW vet who went to DLR for the first time this summer. It was a great trip. But planning was so different for DL and I found myself with many questions for which I knew the answer if we were talking WDW.

DL doesn't have magical express, but there is the Disneyland Express which is transportation you can purchase for about $35/person/roundtrip. We didn't use that so I have no idea about the convenience of it. Depending on where you end up staying and how many in your party, you likely would be better off renting a car. If you stay on property and do not plan on visiting other local attractions, then you don't need a car other than to get to and from the airport and you would be paying the daily resort parking fee in addition to the rental costs so keep that in mind too.

We stayed at a Good Neighbor hotel because the DL hotels were not in our budget. It is definitely nicer to be on property, but there isn't as much of an inconvenience to being off property at DL as there is at WDW (anyone can get EMH at DL by purchasing a park hopper ticket online ahead of time and the distance to the off site hotels is a small fraction of what they are in WDW making it convenient for returning to the hotel midday). That being said, if GC is in your budget that would be my first choice! Also depending on the ages in your party consider DLH (with the new monorail water slide it is attractive to kids).

Have fun planning. I am so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and decided to visit DLR. I still prefer WDW, but there are also things I like better about DLR.
    happily afflicted with DOCD (Disney Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by mouselover4ever View Post
    Enjoy your DLR trip! I am a WDW vet who went to DLR for the first time this summer. It was a great trip. But planning was so different for DL and I found myself with many questions for which I knew the answer if we were talking WDW.

DL doesn't have magical express, but there is the Disneyland Express which is transportation you can purchase for about $35/person/roundtrip. We didn't use that so I have no idea about the convenience of it. Depending on where you end up staying and how many in your party, you likely would be better off renting a car. If you stay on property and do not plan on visiting other local attractions, then you don't need a car other than to get to and from the airport and you would be paying the daily resort parking fee in addition to the rental costs so keep that in mind too.

We stayed at a Good Neighbor hotel because the DL hotels were not in our budget. It is definitely nicer to be on property, but there isn't as much of an inconvenience to being off property at DL as there is at WDW (anyone can get EMH at DL by purchasing a park hopper ticket online ahead of time and the distance to the off site hotels is a small fraction of what they are in WDW making it convenient for returning to the hotel midday). That being said, if GC is in your budget that would be my first choice! Also depending on the ages in your party consider DLH (with the new monorail water slide it is attractive to kids).

Have fun planning. I am so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and decided to visit DLR. I still prefer WDW, but there are also things I like better about DLR.
    Thanks. You're right about a comfort zone. It feels strange. WDW is a piece of cake for us to plan. I still need to see where Walt actually walked at least once.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

We stayed off-site also in 2010. It was a nice hotel that overlooked DCA and was a 10 minute walk to the entrance. Seemed strange to have the "outside world" within view from the parks, very different "feel" from WDW.

jeanigor is offline D-Ticket Holder

I did a quick trip over Labor Day weekend for the Disneyland Half Marathon. I spent one half day in California Adventure and one day in Disneyland. I felt if I hit the parks commando style as a single rider, I would be set. Well I didn't get half of what I wanted to do accomplished. And as hard as I tried to maintain a frame of mind that included phrases like "I like WDW, I'm not going to like DL." "This is the left coast....I'm from the Right Coast." "Newer is better."; Disneyland enamored me. So much so that I will be back in January for a repeat trip.
    I'm fairly certain that given a tiara and a nice cape, I could save the world--one sequin at a time.

2011 Donald ½ Marathon 2:59:00. 2011 Princess ½ Marathon
    3:12:40.
    2011 Disneyland ½ Marathon 3:13:52. 2011 Wine & Dine ½ Marathon --3:06:56.
    2012 Donald ½ Marathon --. 2012 Tinkerbell ½ Marathon --.

Grand Camping Adventure Information

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Disney05 View Post
    So we thinking about checking out DL for the first time. Not sure where to stay, like GC though. They don't have a Magical Express type bus do they? Guess we'll have to rent a car?
    We rented a car but we also went to the "other" park which I thoroughly enjoyed too. We also stayed off sight, I just couldn't pay that much money for a hotel room even though it would have been magical. The airfare to Cali was a big enough hit.

Quote Originally Posted by mouselover4ever View Post

Indeed. That is the same service Mears provided to WDW before Disney contracted Mears to provide the ME. We used that often and it worked perfectly in FL anyhow.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I guess I'm just not a planner? I went to DL about 15 years ago, and it was in the middle of a business trip to the LA area. Took a bus to the park, got picked up in the evening, done.

When I went to DLP this past fall, the extent of my "planning" was booking my hotel. That was it. Didn't read up on the park, no agenda. Just took my time, explored on my own, and was surprised by what I found. Too much planning takes the fun out of the newness of it all.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Pirate Stitch is offline A-Ticket holder

Any of the hotels are close to the parks. You can either walk to the monorail or be in Downtown Disney which is only a 5-10 minute walk to the Plaza. Each of these places, though expensive are very convenient. The hotels outside of the resort are on the street of Disneyland as well. Such as Travelodge or Best Western. Very close to the parks, and some have buses that go down the street. But most are walking distances, not so much car rentals. Hope that helped!

Berdo is offline A-Ticket holder

I might go to Disneyland in October 2012. I haven't been since the 80's so I'm excited to check it out, especially Cars Land, which my son will love.
    Berdo

My Google+: http://is.gd/XTMLtF