Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HauntedGabe
  • 1 Post By supernova
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss A 21st Jungle Cruise in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Tokyo is the park that seems to be setting the benchmark for Disney parks. Their owners seem to be following the old saying, you need to spend money to make ...
  1. #1
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,296

    Red face A 21st Jungle Cruise

    Tokyo is the park that seems to be setting the benchmark for Disney parks. Their owners seem to be following the old saying, you need to spend money to make money. Their Winnie the Pooh attraction set the bar and now it appears their Jungle Cruise will set a new bar for 21st century parks.

    Bet the Disney Imagineers love being assigned to imagineer Tokyo Disneyland since Oriental is willing to fund
    rehabs.

    Tokyo Disneyland to reboot its Jungle Cruise


    Written by Robert Niles
    Published: July 12, 2013 at 8:56 AM

    The Tokyo Disney Resort just announced a US$16 million reboot of Tokyo Disneyland's Jungle Cruise ride, for a fall 2014 debut.
    From the press release:

    The revamped version of the attraction will have new lighting effects and other special show effects. In addition, a specially written musical sound track will be heard throughout the attraction for the first time in any Jungle Cruise. Also, an after-dark only “night cruise” will provide a unique take on the jungle adventure.The new Jungle Cruise will offer Guests an adventure that is even more thrilling than before. From on board the attraction’s boats, Guests will explore jungle landscapes full of wild animals with the help of their daring and comical skipper who guides them through the beauty and dangers of this exotic world. The adventure includes a startling encounter with one of the animal spirit guardians in the ruins of a lost jungle temple.
    The "night cruise" option reminds me of the wildly popular "Night Safari" at the Singapore Zoo, an attraction that's been copied throughout Asia. But a musical soundtrack? As the press release stated, that is a first for a Jungle Cruise. Tokyo Disney's got a pretty good track record with musical revamps, though. Tokyo DisneySea's 2007 revamp of its Sindbad ride added Alan Menken's "The Compass of Your Heart," which has proven itself one of the top theme park songs in the world.
    Of course, this announcement should fuel speculation on whether similar reboots will come to Disney's other Jungle Cruises around the world. The Oriental Land Company — not Disney — might be paying the bills in Tokyo, but they're hiring the same Imagineers who could bring these same plans to Disney's U.S. parks for the (not unsubstantial) cost of installation.
    The current version of Jungle Cruise will close in Tokyo on January 6, 2014.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  2. #2
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: A 21st Jungle Cruise

    WDW's profits were up 73% last quarter.

    They obviously need to spend more money!

  3. #3
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,376

    Re: A 21st Jungle Cruise

    Might need to talk logic here again, just to help wipe the Kool Aid mustache from the top lip.

    Profits are up. OK. So are ticket prices each year. Along with bump ups in merchandise pricing. Pins that were once $5 are now $6. Same product, possibly even an improved production line reducing costs. And as the economy improves, more visitors will be returning to the parks. So if Disney can keep overall operating costs in line, keep salaries at their current bare-minimum wage, and still charge visitors more, then yes, profits will be up. Doesn't mean Disney should keep things stagnant or improve their technology. Nor does it give them an excuse to expand a land that wasn't crying for expansion, and only give us a watered down (pun intended) Mermaid dark ride, and mega restaurant, a duplicate Dumbo ride x2, a useless splash area, and a roller coaster that may or may not be completed during our lifetime.

    Basic math: If you're selling hotdogs for a dollar and it only costs 50 cents to make, you're making a profit. Sell the same number of hotdogs, change the price to $1.25 and buy cheaper condiments so that it only costs you 45 cents, you're still going to improve your profit.
    Last edited by supernova; 07-16-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  4. #4
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,296

    Re: A 21st Jungle Cruise

    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Might need to talk logic here again, just to help wipe the Kool Aid mustache from the top lip.

    Profits are up. OK. So are ticket prices each year. Along with bump ups in merchandise pricing. Pins that were once $5 are now $6. Same product, possibly even an improved production line reducing costs. And as the economy improves, more visitors will be returning to the parks. So if Disney can keep overall operating costs in line, keep salaries at their current bare-minimum wage, and still charge visitors more, then yes, profits will be up. Doesn't mean Disney should keep things stagnant or improve their technology. Nor does it give them an excuse to expand a land that wasn't crying for expansion, and only give us a watered down (pun intended) Mermaid dark ride, and mega restaurant, a duplicate Dumbo ride x2, a useless splash area, and a roller coaster that may or may not be completed during our lifetime.

    Basic math: If you're selling hotdogs for a dollar and it only costs 50 cents to make, you're making a profit. Sell the same number of hotdogs, change the price to $1.25 and buy cheaper condiments so that it only costs you 45 cents, you're still going to improve your profit.
    Statistics and percentages are like funny money, it all depends on what you are comparing the figures to while attempting validate profit margins. Here is a chart of the profits of 2009 through the first Quarter of 2013 from an investment point of view. Ultimately that is who the Board has to explain the profits to, the shareholders. It isn't bad by any means but the profits are not all that grand overall.

    Walt Disney (DIS) Chart

    The MK had a large spike in 2012 starting for spring break/opening of StoryBook, then it trailed off even with the Grand Opening of the FLE. by 2012 Mid-Year peak the percentage kept going down through the end of the 2012 and up ever so slightly for the Holiday weeks in comparison to the 2 years prior without FLE. Because the holiday of 2012 went so much lower than the 1st and 2nd quarter last year it made the first quarter of 2013 seem artificially high but it wasn't. If you compare 1st quarter 2012 to 2013, 2013 1st quarter profits are substantially lower than 2012. That is the thing about statistics, if you look at any figure through a narrow parameter you can boast about anything. Being a stockholder in Disney I was happier in Spring of 2012 with WDW than I am in Spring of 2013. With the overwhelming expenses for MyExperience/Banding/WiFi and FLE Disney opted to raise ticket prices and everything else just to stay even with 2012 profit margins. Even with all of the increases WDW failed to bring profits to the peak level it did in 2012. So even with all the hotdog, admission, resort etc. increases and the good attendance the profits are lower than last year for the same quarter.

    This is why attendance is not the best indicator of WDW success. Disney once had a captive audience during their one week vacation. Now a chunk of guests even if they are staying on property are spending their money at non Disney Parks eating into their overall profit margin. Resort attendance is murky too. Hotel Row near DTD occupancy is up, guests finding nicer rooms for less money than the value resorts on property. The Hilton offers many perks for those visiting the Disney Parks and some guests that were once loyal to staying on property stopped drinking the Kool Aid now are giving their resort dollars to Hotel Row verses Disney Resorts. Now Disney is gambling once again with another huge investment in Disney Springs. Will that investment raise the profits that substantially in DTD area over the current profit level while absorbing the huge capital outlay? The Mermaid is a good example. Arguably the queue is equal or better than the attraction itself. Theme Parks are moving beyond these dark ride/track rides. Yet Disney is still doing what they did decades ago while other theme parks are moving forward with innovations for Dark Rides. Or compare WDW Pooh to Tokyo Pooh.

    But Disney can't loose by fixing what is broken. With Epcot sliding down the Top Ten Chart over the years they need to bring guests back into that Park for more than Food & Wine and Flower & Garden as Food & Booze does not bring in families for the day and at one time Epcot was a 2 day park if you were to explore the majority of what Epcot had to offer. Tokyo seems to be the leader in cutting edge Disney Imagineering and they have climbed the top ten ladder because of their care to quality imagineering to draw a huge demographic of visitors.
    With all the rumors floating about for WDW Parks, the movement of the top executives around the country to WDW maybe, possibly, WDW will move forward into 21st century Imagineering for their attractions like Tokyo has done.











    supernova likes this.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  5. #5
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,376

    Re: A 21st Jungle Cruise

    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    This is why attendance is not the best indicator of WDW success. Disney once had a captive audience during their one week vacation. Now a chunk of guests even if they are staying on property are spending their money at non Disney Parks eating into their overall profit margin. Resort attendance is murky too. Hotel Row near DTD occupancy is up, guests finding nicer rooms for less money than the value resorts on property. The Hilton offers many perks for those visiting the Disney Parks and some guests that were once loyal to staying on property stopped drinking the Kool Aid now are giving their resort dollars to Hotel Row verses Disney Resorts. Now Disney is gambling once again with another huge investment in Disney Springs.
    To me, a free good breakfast is more important than proximity any day of the week. Feed me in the AM and let me get about my business. Staying on property at the All Star Resorts or Pop Century, way out in the middle of no where, packing onto crowded buses that take way too long to get me where I need to go, I seriously dislike being at the mercy of Disney's mass transit system. Rental cars rule. And since I have no interest in the dining plan, with my DVC, I hit Walmart, buy breakfast for the week, and we're good to go. But when I was there over MLK weekend, I stayed off property, had a nice full breakfast every morning comped with my stay, and I was literally a 15 minute drive to WDW, straight through DTD. It has taken me 20 or more by bus on some occassions.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  6. #6
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,296

    Re: A 21st Jungle Cruise

    Yeah, every off sight resort we stayed at offered a free full breakfast. Even when we started staying on property at the moderates, in the fall we were given a free full breakfast daily, our choice of TS, Character or QS. Breakfast foods are pretty darn cheap and while on the DDP we never use our TS for breakfast. Waffle or Steak, I'm picking the steak.

    I wish I could be comfortable with driving around Orlando, I never really have driven in Urban areas and lack the experience of watching out for twits. But I don't let that stop me from getting around the Orlando area. DTD always has had issues with transportation to and from especially in the evening hours. A trip in 2012 was the only trip where I had consistent problems with Disney Transportation. I waited over 45 minutes for a bus from the contemporary to AK and we still had to go to the Poly to pick up guests there, that was the worst one and I had already launched from the MK to the Contemporary so I understand why some guests always use their cars. That trip was in Spring after Easter and Spring Break was over and best I could ration is they cut the overall bus count on the roads for the moderate attendance season.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  7. #7
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,376

    Re: A 21st Jungle Cruise

    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Yeah, every off sight resort we stayed at offered a free full breakfast. Even when we started staying on property at the moderates, in the fall we were given a free full breakfast daily, our choice of TS, Character or QS. Breakfast foods are pretty darn cheap and while on the DDP we never use our TS for breakfast. Waffle or Steak, I'm picking the steak.

    I wish I could be comfortable with driving around Orlando, I never really have driven in Urban areas and lack the experience of watching out for twits. But I don't let that stop me from getting around the Orlando area. DTD always has had issues with transportation to and from especially in the evening hours. A trip in 2012 was the only trip where I had consistent problems with Disney Transportation. I waited over 45 minutes for a bus from the contemporary to AK and we still had to go to the Poly to pick up guests there, that was the worst one and I had already launched from the MK to the Contemporary so I understand why some guests always use their cars. That trip was in Spring after Easter and Spring Break was over and best I could ration is they cut the overall bus count on the roads for the moderate attendance season.
    Maybe NYC driving has prepped me for anything, but I have driven throughout most of the major Orlando area. I've visited a friend who lives in the residential area of Orlando. I've attended concerts and sporting events at the Amway Area, the old Citrus Bowl, and the new arena downtown. I've driven to the outlets beyond the airport, and visited a radio station in Maitland. So driving is never an issue.

    That being said, I've only stayed off property once in the past 20 years. Every other time was on property, especially now that I've been a DVC member since 2001. This one and only time over MLK weekend, I stayed at a hotel that was within a mile of the DTD gate from I4. Took a local backroad straight down to DTD. Easy enough. Plus the breakfast AND free parking, great location.
    Last edited by supernova; 07-17-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  8. #8
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,296

    Re: A 21st Jungle Cruise

    Yeah, I am not proud of my phobia of driving in Orlando but I don't drive Chicago either I take a train in and it is pricey, but not as pricey as Chicago Parking Garages area. For my previous job I flew all the time and always had to rent a car but living out in my tiny little Hamlet I've lost my ability to cope with nutty drivers but when I go down to see my DS he is fine with it and I just play with my phone. I'm just a big fan of ordering a Towncar and 30 minutes warning and they pick me back up and deposit me where I want to go. On average for $13, the cost of a round of bottled water, I can take a taxi anywhere on Disney property. I've learned to compensate for my phobia.

    It has been many years but we usually stayed on whatever road leads straight out of the MK. The hotels were new back then and very nice hotels vs motel style with free breakfast and parking. After Hotel Row by DTD lost its Disney Bus service the hotels there were cheap. I've stayed at the Hilton, the closest to DTD and also had free breakfast, but when we stayed there years ago I don't believe the parking was free.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Similar Threads

  1. Jungle Cruise changes
    By tdf192 in forum WDW Theme Parks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-25-2009, 01:31 AM
  2. Jungle Cruise
    By PokemonTrainer in forum Ask The Disney Experts
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 12:09 AM
  3. Jungle Cruise
    By podperson09 in forum Hidden Mickeys
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
  4. jungle cruise
    By aaron18 in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 11:16 AM
  5. DSC #18 - The Jungle Cruise
    By Stitch in forum Inspiration Gallery
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 12:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •