Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss Trip report, day 3 in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; We did Universal Hollywood on day 2, and I think that belongs on another board. Tuesday August 30 saw my party grow by one, as my Mother -in-law flew into ...
    sterm26 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Trip report, day 3

We did Universal Hollywood on day 2, and I think that belongs on another board. Tuesday August 30 saw my party grow by one, as my Mother -in-law flew into Long Beach to join our vacation. She's defineitely not a "Disney" person, but she was willing to check out DL to appease us. We hoped to use the ol' Disney Magic to, if not convert her, at least see our point of view.

The day started at an Ihop on Harbor, (Not the one across from the DL entrance), which had decent food, but slow service and a ridiculous bill. We parked at Mickey & Friends, and took the tram to Downtown Disney. I wanted to make the "Grand Entrance" on Main St., M-I-L wanted to take the Monorail...for the second time, I was outvoted. So my M-I-L's first view of Disneyland was....the gutted Submarine Lagoon. We were dumped into Tomorrowland, where we immediately went on Buzz again. Everyone was having fun, until...

We went to Star Tours. My M-I-L was prone to motion sickness, unbeknownst to us. Star Tours was definitely not the ride for her, she staggered off, and it took her 3 hours to recover. She even got sick when we took her to Peter Pan's Flight, a ride that I though might calm her down. So much for converting her!

We then went to the left side of the park, where the attractions were unlikely to make anyone barf. Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, and Pirates were collected in a row, and no one got sick. My wife and I got Indiana Jones Fastpasses for a couple hours later. (cont'd)
    Last edited by sterm26; 09-17-2005 at 07:00 AM.
    WDW offsite 1979, '83, '86, '87, '89,' 93

ASMo November 2003 (Love Bug)

Pop Century February 2005 (50's)

Pop Century February 2006 (60's)

Pop Century August 2006 (60's)

Coronado Springs February 2009

Disneyland August 1988 (L.A.)

Disneyland August 2005 (Anaheim Plaza)

"His name's Tron, fights for the Users..."

sterm26 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Continuation

We enjoyed the "tamer" attractions of Adventureland and Frontierland for the rest of the daylight hours. My mother-in-law loved the Haunted Mansion, especially the dinner scene. As dusk settled over the park, we headed back to the Monorail. We had a 7:30 PS at Goofy's Kitchen, and strolled around Downtown Disney for a bit before going to the Disneyland Hotel. I was impressed with the moving sports engravings on the side of the ESPN cafe. We stopped by just long enough to catch some baseball scores...I still had trouble adjusting to the Pacific Time Zone, I was startled to realize that my beloved Phillies had already finished their game on the East Coast (they won, btw). On that happy note, we entered the hotel.

We arrived at 7;20, checked in, and were immediately seated. This was my mother-in-law's first encounter with a character meal, and we were curious to see how she would react when the characters came to the table. Chef Goofy came by, as well as Max (Goofy's son, I had to ask a CM who he was) Mulan, and Chip & Dale, who seem to be everywhere! Balloo the Bear also came by, and when asked for an autograph, drew a unique one right on the paper tablecloth. We tore that off after dinner for posterity. My mother in law seemed to have caught some of the Disney spirit finally, as she delighted in the interaction between the characters and my daughter. Later, Goofy led the children in a makeshift conga line around the restaurant, and Chip & Dale led the kids in doing the Macarena.

The food was excellent. It was an all-you-can-eat buffet, featuring freshly made Prime rib, roast pork loin, pasta in a wonderful vodka sauce, and more. Also, there was a nice salad bar and a great dessert bar, along with several different finger foods for the kids, who were too involved with the characters to worry much about eating anyway. The price wasn't too bad, $24.95 for the adults and $11.99 for the kids, but Disney probably lost money on me, as I had my share of food!

Full, and a bit tired from the long day, we slowly made our way back to Disneyland for Indiana Jones and the fireworks show. (Cont'd)
    Last edited by sterm26; 09-17-2005 at 11:59 PM.
    WDW offsite 1979, '83, '86, '87, '89,' 93

ASMo November 2003 (Love Bug)

Pop Century February 2005 (50's)

Pop Century February 2006 (60's)

Pop Century August 2006 (60's)

Coronado Springs February 2009

Disneyland August 1988 (L.A.)

Disneyland August 2005 (Anaheim Plaza)

"His name's Tron, fights for the Users..."