Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss Disneyland - It's Own Kind of Magic (pictures) in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; A friend of mine offered me a "once in a lifetime" trip to visit her in Los Angeles, all expenses paid. I asked her if we could to go Disneyland ...
    Ronni is offline A-Ticket holder

Thumbs up Disneyland - It's Own Kind of Magic (pictures)

A friend of mine offered me a "once in a lifetime" trip to visit her in Los Angeles, all expenses paid. I asked her if we could to go Disneyland (I was planning to pay, but she covered that as well) and she said "absolutely."

I spent three hours there the first night, and the entire next day there.

I'd been to WDW twice (once earlier this year!) but I made it a point to go into DL with no expecations. My first reaction was "WOW! Disneyland looks just like Magic Kingdom, only with a different castle!" Of course, I realized after I said it that the more accurate statement would be "Magic Kingdom looks just like Disneyland."

What I loved about Disneyland is that it's a small park. I didn't feel pressured to do a lot because I'd done some of the stuff at WDW. I felt more free to act like the DORK I am and I reveled in the more laid back atmosphere of the park. DCA was okay--but I loved DL much more. My friend and I spent a LOT of time in Fantasyland. Characters were everywhere, the food was yummy, and the cast members were amazing.

I think we got a lot packed in. I was determined to ride the rides that WDW did not have, or rides where the lines had been too long at WDW. I enjoyed the Matterhorn immensely. Indiana Jones was AWESOME. Space Mountain was incredible. I managed to ride all the Mountains except Splash Mountain (my choice!). I went in September, so it wasn't very busy at all. The longest waits were for the Space Mountain and Indiana Jones, both of which were quite worth it.

The characters were cute! Some of them were all dressed up to celebrate the 50th anniversary. It was exciting to run into characters I never thought I'd meet: a penguin from Mary Poppins, Prince Charming, Alice, etc. The fireworks show was beautiful. The parade--she and I claimed our spot on the curb one hour before it began and I am so glad we did. The parade was great and I loved the shows they did. I got the Pinnochio float. How excited was I to see Jimeny Crickett? And Tinkerbell was in the parade!!

I think the most magical part for me was knowing that I was in the ORIGINAL place. The original park. I had an amazing time and can't wait to go back next year.

More: http://anywhere-is.net/photoalbum/cali05
    - Ronni
    (http://anywhere-is.net & http://ronnilovedisney.blogspot.com)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/42700727_65f0dbdeb8_m.jpg

WDW 08/01 ASMu | WDW 05/05 ASMo | DL 09/05 offsite
    WDW 09/08 Pop | DL 01/09 offsite | WDW 08/09 Pop

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    Sounds like a great time!!!

flutter is offline Moderator
    Great pictures you look like you were having a good time, thanks for sharing

kebdal23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I'm so glad you had the opportunity to go to Disneyland. So many "WDW" frequenters don't give it a chance, and I love Disneyland better than I love Magic Kingdom in Florida.

Indiana Jones is amazing - POTC is longer and has two drops instead of one - IASW has the beautiful clock tower facade, goes thru many rooms, and has more languages - The Matterhorn - more dark rides in Fantasyland, including Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, and the beloved Mr. Toad's Wild Ride! + Newly Refurbed Space Mountain!

I can't wait to go back, but our next vacation is planned for WDW.
    Katie (33) and Elvis (41)
    DS Casey Michael (14)
    DS Tyler Anthony (12)
    DS Adisa Andwele (7)
    DS Jelani Aitan (5)
    DD Due August 25th!

DL: 1982, 1992, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, May 2008, Nov 2009
    WDW: 1999, May 2007, ~Oct 2010~

sterm26 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Home park

I think it has to do with which is your personal "home" park.

I'd been to WDW 5 times before I made it to DL. I grew up at WDW, therefore, DL seemed a bit off-kilter. I would guess that a DL lifer who went to WDW for the first time would feel the same way.

I gave DL a second shot this past summer, and I enjoyed it immensely. I still favor FLA, but I do plan to return to the original park in the future.
    WDW offsite 1979, '83, '86, '87, '89,' 93

ASMo November 2003 (Love Bug)

Pop Century February 2005 (50's)

Pop Century February 2006 (60's)

Pop Century August 2006 (60's)

Coronado Springs February 2009

Disneyland August 1988 (L.A.)

Disneyland August 2005 (Anaheim Plaza)

"His name's Tron, fights for the Users..."

buccool is offline See my avatar. You know you love him
    How was toad???
    Remember without Disneyland there would be no mr.toad FOREVER
    for belle and her fight

kebdal23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by sterm26
    I think it has to do with which is your personal "home" park.

I'd been to WDW 5 times before I made it to DL. I grew up at WDW, therefore, DL seemed a bit off-kilter. I would guess that a DL lifer who went to WDW for the first time would feel the same way.

I gave DL a second shot this past summer, and I enjoyed it immensely. I still favor FLA, but I do plan to return to the original park in the future.
    You can say that again! DL is definitely my "home" park, and sometimes when I read trip reports that sorta bash my favorite parts of DL I feel like screaming inside! Give me DL over Magic Kingdom any day! (Although I'm glad to have the opportunity to visit both and that they aren't TOO similar).
    Katie (33) and Elvis (41)
    DS Casey Michael (14)
    DS Tyler Anthony (12)
    DS Adisa Andwele (7)
    DS Jelani Aitan (5)
    DD Due August 25th!

DL: 1982, 1992, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, May 2008, Nov 2009
    WDW: 1999, May 2007, ~Oct 2010~

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    My first visits to Disney were all to Walt Disney World. Back in March 2000 I had a chance to visit Disneyland for the first time. I went with an open mind, hearing how "bad" DL was compared to the MK, I am glad I didn't listen to the naysayers! I had a blast! So much so I went to Disneyland every six months until Sept 2001!

You may call me weird but I felt Walt was there in the park with me. So yes each park has it's own kind of magic. I also agree with people who say it depends on which is your "home" park too.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Great pictures Ronni! Looks like you did indeed have a trip of a lifetime! Thanks for sharing! Don't know how I missed this thread earlier this month!

Ronni is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by buccool
    How was toad???
    Toad was fine up until THAT LAST ROOM. I did not like that, but everything else was funny.
    - Ronni
    (http://anywhere-is.net & http://ronnilovedisney.blogspot.com)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/42700727_65f0dbdeb8_m.jpg

WDW 08/01 ASMu | WDW 05/05 ASMo | DL 09/05 offsite
    WDW 09/08 Pop | DL 01/09 offsite | WDW 08/09 Pop

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I'm making it a lifetime goal to visit all of the Disney theme parks. As of right now, I've only been to the WDW ones. Four down ...what, seven to go?

There sounds like there is so much to see and do at DL, despite its small size. It sounds great, and especially so because it was Uncle Walt's park.

By the way, the pictures are great! That Alice looks very much like the one in the movie... and so does that Mickey!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

"I'm making it a lifetime goal to visit all of the Disney theme parks. As of right now, I've only been to the WDW ones. Four down ...what, seven to go?"

I would love to go to the overseas parks as well, just to compare! I still don't know why they had to build the European Disneyland in France, however.....(Just kidding!!!!)

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by sterm26
    I would love to go to the overseas parks as well, just to compare! I still don't know why they had to build the European Disneyland in France, however.....(Just kidding!!!!)
    I agree. If EuroDisney could have been built in.. say, Connecticut, I would have been able to see it already! (CT is in New England, New England was named after the real England, that England happens to be Europe, EuroDisney had to obviously be in Europe... so why not CT? Can you follow that twisted logic, or should I explain that again?)
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

I sort of get it....I think??

I"m saying that if they had to build one in Europe, they could have picked a more, um, hospitable location...maybe someplace warmer, like Spain. I think Universal used to have a park in Spain, but I don't see it listed on their site anymore.

I always had a dream that Disney would build a park in Pennsylvania, maybe with a dome over it...hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!!!

mickey n minnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA
    I'm making it a lifetime goal to visit all of the Disney theme parks. As of right now, I've only been to the WDW ones. Four down ...what, seven to go?

Me and my friend decided that one year, were going to go to all the different Disney parks.

Anyway, I've been to WDW about 7 or 8 times, I think...I kinda lost count. I went to DL once, but it was only for a few days (and it was back when Space Mountain was closed for refuburbishment until 2005 so I didnt get to go on that ). I have to say, I think my favorite part of it was Splash Mountain. Yes, I loved everything else too, like the MATTERHORN!, and Mr. Toads wild ride. But I think the reason I loved Splash Mountain was because its my favorite ride in WDW, so I was able to compare it, and I found my first hidden mickey ever there, and now I'm obsessed with them