Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss Disneyland CLOSES Big Thunder Mountain (again) in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Three members of a Canadian family suffered minor back and neck pain Thursday after two trains on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride bumped at the loading station, authorities said. ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Disneyland CLOSES Big Thunder Mountain (again)

Three members of a Canadian family suffered minor back and neck pain Thursday after two trains on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride bumped at the loading station, authorities said. Disneyland officials shut the ride down for the second time since it reopened in March, following the Sept. 5 accident that claimed the life of a Gardena man, according to the resort's spokesman Bob Tucker. A 10-year-old boy, a 44-year-old woman and a 42-year-old man were transported by private ambulance to a local area hospital after the accident on the roller coaster occurred shortly after 5 p.m., said Maria Sabol, an Anaheim Fire Department spokeswoman. Their names and city of residence were not available, but Sabol said they live in Canada. Tucker did not know how the trains collided or where the family members were sitting in the ride. Disneyland officials notified the state Division of Occupational Health and Safety, and inspectors arrived at 6:50 p.m., Tucker said. "The attraction will remain closed until a complete check has been performed," Tucker said. The three families members were able to walk as they left the ride and went with Anaheim paramedics to another area of the park, but the woman then was taken to the ambulance on a gurney, Sabol said. Police Sgt. Rick Martinez said that because the accident was "not serious enough to warrant a police investigation," the department would take a medical aid report and leave the investigation to state officials. Last September, 22-year-old Marcelo Torres of Gardena was killed on the same roller coaster when the car in which he was riding ran into a derailed locomotive in front of him. Ten other people were hurt. The ride reopened on March 10 after state safety officials cleared it for operation. State officials concluded after a three-month investigation that faulty maintenance had caused the collision. Just days after the ride resumed operating, Torres' parents suggested at a press conference that more time was needed to study flaws that caused the fatal accident. Twenty-four people have claimed injuries from riding the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad since mid-2001, the state reported last fall.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    I was just reading about this. What is up with the thing? Not good news at all

Disney just released this statement moments ago:

Friday, July 9, 2004 -- 10:30 a.m. PST
    On Thursday, July 8, two trains bumped into each other while entering the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad loading station. Three people were transported to a local hospital, treated and released.

The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad attraction remains closed while DOSH investigates the cause of the incident. We are working with DOSH to provide information. The safety of our Guests and Cast Members is our highest priority.

Scarysher16 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I think they should bring back the donkey rides. Thunder Mountain is my daughters favorite. I remember when they use to have the Donkey rides where Thunder mountain is now. I can not however remember what it was called.
    Of course now we have animal actvists who would have a say in it. So all you Donkeys out there looking for work, I suggest the grand canyon.

ru42 is offline Disneyland/Photo Moderator - DWT West Coast Division
    30 minutes from my front door to Mickey's front door; Disneyland
    They were simply called the Rainbow Ridge Pack Mules.

RU

Check out my new DVDs on MY NEW SITE

Scarysher16 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks, it still does not sound familar. That and the Autotopia use to be my favorite rides. I have since moved onto Indiana Jones and Hotel Terror... Rock and roll roller Coaster. I was disappoint for about a second when we got to WDW and there was no Indiana Jones. But they made up for it in so many ways. Although my opinion DL Space Mountain and Thunder Mt. was better.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Having been on the Big Thunder at DL, I can tell you it is a bumpy, jumpy. jerky and jostling ride. I refused a secong trip on this railroad fearing neck injury. I think it is poorly constructed. While it is scenically interesting, the jerking is too much- noted by the warning sign posted near the front. I don't even remember the donkeys-my dad says he kept us away from them on purpose.

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    I wonder what the difference between Big Thunder at DL and the one WDW. The one at DL seems to have all these problems yet Big Thunder at WDW doesn't. Maybe they should tear down the one at DL and put a new Big Thunder ride in its place.

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    personally, i've been on plenty of rides at Six Flags Great Adventure (in Jackson, NJ) which rides have bumped and collided not only in the station but in the middle of the ride. it happens, and i'm still here, and never needed medical attention.

these people are blowing it out of proportion and trying to cash in.