Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disneyland and Other Disney Parks Discuss Disneyland Trip Questions! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; So I'm leaving for Disneyland in a little over 2 weeks and since I've never been I'm planning some things, and i'd like some advice about my plan as I ...
    MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...

Disneyland Trip Questions!

So I'm leaving for Disneyland in a little over 2 weeks and since I've never been I'm planning some things, and i'd like some advice about my plan as I get ready to go.

Here are some questions...

- Has anyone ever stayed at the Disneyland Hotel? Is it nice? What's it like? What time did they let you check in? We get in at around 1pm, but check-in isn't normally until 4, so should we go to Downtown Disney or to the park for the afternoon?

- What rides do you suggest I do not miss?

- What rides can I miss, since I am a WDW addict and have been on everything there hundreds of times?

- Any secrets or tips anyone can share?

- How does the monorail work there? Are all the hotels connected or just some of them?

- What does the Disney Gallery have all in it? (can you buy stuff, or can you just look? We're looking for some certain artwork!)

And I think that's it! Once I make a list of rides that I definitely want to go on I'll post so people can give me opinions and whatnot. Thanks! :-)
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    I'm afraid that you may be a bit disappointed with the Monorail system here on the west coast--it really doesn't hold a candle to the Mk-VIs we know and love back at WDW. The main station into the park is in the Downtown Disney area, and it services Tomorrowland inside the park. I'm pretty sure they go as far as the resort hotels, but I've never ridden them in that direction (never had any business that way).

Never stayed in the hotel before (bein' more or less a "local," never had the need), although the folks I've spoken to who have really enjoyed themselves.

Attractions not to be missed? Well, all personal bias aside, Indiana Jones and The Temple of the Forbidden Eye (or Temple of the Four-Hour Line on some days of the week) is one heck of a ride, and worth getting back in line for over and over again. There are three different ways that the vehicles can go, and I don't think I've ever heard the same exact dialouge twice.

Last I heard, Pirates of the Carribean was out of commission. A major bummer, so plan accordingly. For the record, in defiance of what the guidebooks may tell you, I personally believe WDW has the better version, anyway (ditto for the Haunted Mansion).

Not sure if Florida has stepped it up as well, but Disneyland recently gave Space Mountain a serious make-over, and it is awesome. They cleaned up real good.

I expounded a bit on the "California Adventure" side of the park on here a little while back, so at the risk of sounding lazy in my old age, I figure I'll just let you read up on those on your own. The park is worth checking out if you get the chance.

If the "Disney Gallery" you mean is the same place I'm thinkin' it is, there is plenty of stuff for sale as well as for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

(Incidentally, if you just so happen to cross paths with a guy in black wearing a dusty fedora, don't be shy.)
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    The castle is a dwarf, you will be amazed at how small it is.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

I think the monorail is only to the DL hotel? I don't think it goes to the two newer hotels.
    GO RED SOX!!!!

Downtown there is a bit smaller if i remember correctly. You really should go on the original soarin, matterhorn, gtg on Space Mountain becuase it's brand new.
    GO RED SOX!!!!

as he said before, you do have to go on Indy.
    GO RED SOX!!!!

Soccergirl426 is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B
    So I'm leaving for Disneyland in a little over 2 weeks and since I've never been I'm planning some things, and i'd like some advice about my plan as I get ready to go.

Here are some questions...

- Has anyone ever stayed at the Disneyland Hotel? Is it nice? What's it like? What time did they let you check in? We get in at around 1pm, but check-in isn't normally until 4, so should we go to Downtown Disney or to the park for the afternoon?

- What rides do you suggest I do not miss?

- What rides can I miss, since I am a WDW addict and have been on everything there hundreds of times?

- Any secrets or tips anyone can share?

- How does the monorail work there? Are all the hotels connected or just some of them?

- What does the Disney Gallery have all in it? (can you buy stuff, or can you just look? We're looking for some certain artwork!)

And I think that's it! Once I make a list of rides that I definitely want to go on I'll post so people can give me opinions and whatnot. Thanks! :-)
    heres what i know MayBWeRMnt2B-
    I have never stayed at a Disney resort, when we went to DL, the day we got in it was about dinner time, so we went to Downtown Disney for dinner, and DD is just shops and places to eat (except ESPN Zone, if I remember, has games)If you want to go to the park, remember to get a parkhopper ticket just in case you want to go to DL and DCA.

In DL, my favorites are-
    Big Thunder Railroad, Splash Mountain, Indiania Jones Adventure, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Pirates of the Carribbean, Space Mountain (and DL refreshed SM, so it is smoother than the SM at WDW.
    In DCA, my favorites are-
    Calfornia Screamin'
    Soarin'
    Tower of Terror
    and the list goes on and on

Also, Pirates of the Carribbean may be closed, or they might of opened it, i dont really know

oh yeah i forgot about california screamin', it's a good ride but make sure you do it in the morning because when i was there (it was summer though) it kept shutting down, becuase the electro magnets would get too hot.
    GO RED SOX!!!!

I know Pirates is closed along with Mulhound Madness or whatever that other one is called...

(Incidentally, if you just so happen to cross paths with a guy in black wearing a dusty fedora, don't be shy.)
    Lol. Uhm, sure, will you be the only one?

Actually my dad and I are going. I'm 21 my dad is 55, and we have a princess lunch!!! lol. We're uhm, looking forward to it? lol. This trip is partially 'let me check out disneyland' and other part 'business.' I may apply for a disneyland internship come next year, so I wanted to see it and let that help me see if I like it there or not. Anyway, I'm a huge fan and I know WDW like I live there, so I have a feeling i'll feel slightly out of my element, but I'm REALLY looking forward to it!

Anyway, thanks for everyones comments so far.

Let's see what else... I won't ride Soarin'. I'm only there for 3 full days, and I'm afraid of crowds, and I've been on it in Walt Disney World about 100 times, so I'm good. I don't care if the inside is better. lol.

Anyway, does anyone have any clue on how crowds are gonna be? (Maybe you Conceited Ape?)

And I definitely plan on going on Indiana Jones and taking tons and tons of pictures.
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011

tiggerguy is online now one of the good guys
    the monorail only has two stops usually, Tomorrowland and Downtown Disney. Where the Downtown Disney stop is now, there used to be a wing of the Disneyland Hotel. It is now quite a hike to the hotels from the monorails.

If it isn't raining you have to try the Alice in Wonderland and the Storybook C**** rides in DL.

As you already said you will be "out of your element" so all I can say is go with an open mind and try not to compare it too closely with Florida's MK.

As for food places. the last time I was there most places used REAL dishes and silverware, none of the plastic junk you find at WDW
    Last edited by tiggerguy; 04-15-2006 at 10:28 PM.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy
    the monorail only has two stops usually, Tomorrowland and Downtown Disney. Where the Downtown Disney stop is now, there used to be a wing of the Disneyland Hotel. It is now quite a hike to the hotels from the monorails.

If it isn't raining you have to try the Alice in Wonderland and the Storybook C**** rides in DL.

As you already said you will be "out of your element" so all I can say is go with an open mind and try not to compare it too closely with Florida's MK.

As for food places. the last time I was there most places used REAL dishes and silverware, none of the plastic junk you find at WDW
    Yeah the monorails are much, much different than WDW's.
    GO RED SOX!!!!

Soccergirl426 is offline Annual Passholder
    I would also reccommend going on the rides that are only at DL and DCA if you have gone to WDW many times. Also, I've gone on Soarin' twice-both in DCA when it first opened and WDW in March-I would totally reccommend it, and I don't know if there is FPs for it, but if you have never gone on it, its the "original".
    As I think I said before, go on Space Mountain because it is WAY smoother and faster than the other one, and honestly I just like it better.

Yeah. I made lists of everything I wanna get on, so I know.

And I won't compare too much. :-) I know I won't. It's my first vacation in about six years and its not even an entire vacation, but still it will be happy.
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011

well, have a good time!
    GO RED SOX!!!!

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B
    Anyway, does anyone have any clue on how crowds are gonna be? (Maybe you Conceited Ape?)
    One thing I've observed as far as differences between east coast and west coast Disney parks is who they rely on for the majority of their business. WDW brings in guests from all over the country (heck, all over the world). Disneyland relies first and foremost on the locals of southern California. As such, DL is the most crowded on the weekends. I know, I know--this is just a common sense deal, but doubly so out here. In the middle of the week, it's not uncommon to more or less have the park pretty much to yourself.

If there are any other boys out there in black with a dusty brown fedora (a good one, too--not the felt knock-offs they sell as souvenirs), let me know. I may just make a friend for life.........
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast