Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss WDW Marathon in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Ever since I saw Mike Scopa run by me at Animal Kingdom back in February, I've been thinking about this. (Yes, Mr. Scopa.. I had to do a double take, ...
    disneyvixen is offline The Harasser of Podcasters!!
    Ever since I saw Mike Scopa run by me at Animal Kingdom back in February, I've been thinking about this. (Yes, Mr. Scopa.. I had to do a double take, but when I realized it was you, that was the focal point for the rest the day! ) I figure you were getting some practice? I saw you running from Asia (near Expedition Everest). Ok so maybe I should've said something, I guess it was just very random to see THE Mike Scopa run by me! lol)Although I was never the best runner, I'm really thinking of giving this a shot. I'm in the process of losing some weight right now, but as far as "training" goes, what do those of you who've participated reccommend? Obviously running close to home would be the way to go, but if you have any other reccommendations, please feel free to share. Thanks!
    Jackie O.
    Next WDW Trip: Sometime in May, I think my AP is already paid for itself

"Inside every sophisticated grownup adult is a little kid just dying to get out." -Walt Disney

Love Disney news/Trip Reports? Join me at WDW According to Jackie O.

jswalker1981 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGamer View Post
    Thanks for the information! The Race for the Taste is a 5 K, right?
    It is a 10K race. The race for the cure was a 5K race. I can't seem to find out if they are doing it this year.
    The Butabi brothers from Night at the Roxbury:

Doug Butabi: So anyways, I was standing there waiting to use the pay phone.
    Steve Butabi: Yeah, he was, seriously.
    Doug Butabi: And this guy who was on the phone, turns around and tips his hat like this.
    Steve Butabi: And who do you think that guy was?
    Doug Butabi: Lou Mongello.
    Steve Butabi: The Disney World Trivia man, I swear to God, I was there.
    Doug Butabi: Of course you were, you were the one who yelled the Podcaster's name.
    Steve Butabi: I was like, "LOU!!!"

JediGamer is offline A-Ticket holder
    That's right...it's about 1/2 of the 1/2 Marathon (would that be a 1/4 marathon?). I thought it would be a great tune up!

Britmick is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyvixen View Post
    Ever since I saw Mike Scopa run by me at Animal Kingdom back in February, I've been thinking about this. (Yes, Mr. Scopa.. I had to do a double take, but when I realized it was you, that was the focal point for the rest the day! ) I figure you were getting some practice? I saw you running from Asia (near Expedition Everest). Ok so maybe I should've said something, I guess it was just very random to see THE Mike Scopa run by me! lol)Although I was never the best runner, I'm really thinking of giving this a shot. I'm in the process of losing some weight right now, but as far as "training" goes, what do those of you who've participated reccommend? Obviously running close to home would be the way to go, but if you have any other reccommendations, please feel free to share. Thanks!
    I bought a treadmill just over a year ago and started using that. Mike Scopa is absolutley right. When you first start traing it is so hard. I walked for 5 minutes then ran for 5 and did it like that. I was so unfit at that stage. Just by exercising every night I gradually lost weight (about 30lb over the year). Last weekend I ran 4 miles in 40 minutes no problem and felt great. It's just a case of building up slowly.By the time January 2008 comes I think I should be ready for the 13 miles. The big plus is where we will be running. Walt Disney World
    BRITMICK:mickey:

DVC Member Saratoga Springs 06

"I'm going to Disneyworld"

streamlines is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
    Hi Mike, just a quick question, does everyone who hasn't already got their own get given a Champion Chip so that their times are recorded? I believe they are like a plastic disc that go on your shoe.
    I got the Goofy Chip when I applied, but it stated that temporary plain black
    ones would be avaliable if I forgot to take mine. I would assume it part of the registration process - but we will need the Scopa (or someone else who was run it before) to confirm.
    Hayden

Done the Goofy and Survived

1st WDW Visit - Sept 05
    1st Disneyland Paris Trip - Nov 05
    1st WDW On-Site stay - Jan 08 (Polynesian)
    1st WDW Alone - Jun 08 (Work Trip, Hilton)
    1st Disneyland Hong Kong Trip - Dec 08
    1st Disneyland Trip - May 09
    1st Fan meet, Disneyland Paris - Dec 09
    40th Birthday Trip WDW - Jun 10 (Postponned)
    Christmas Trip WDW - Dec 10
    D23 Expo - Aug 11

disneyvixen is offline The Harasser of Podcasters!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
    I bought a treadmill just over a year ago and started using that. Mike Scopa is absolutley right. When you first start traing it is so hard. I walked for 5 minutes then ran for 5 and did it like that. I was so unfit at that stage. Just by exercising every night I gradually lost weight (about 30lb over the year). Last weekend I ran 4 miles in 40 minutes no problem and felt great. It's just a case of building up slowly.By the time January 2008 comes I think I should be ready for the 13 miles. The big plus is where we will be running. Walt Disney World
    Thank you for sharing your tips with me, it's greatly appreciated! I will definitely take your advice and hopefully see you at a half marathon/marathon soon
    Jackie O.
    Next WDW Trip: Sometime in May, I think my AP is already paid for itself

"Inside every sophisticated grownup adult is a little kid just dying to get out." -Walt Disney

Love Disney news/Trip Reports? Join me at WDW According to Jackie O.

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder
    I have run the marathon for the past 2 years and the half the year before, I run in the mid 3 hour range, and I have to say it is one of the highlights of my entire year! It is the most enjoyable race of any distance that I have ever run and finishing (either the half or the full) never gets old and give you the most amazing sense of accomplishment in the world!!! I mean asking Jesus to come into my life and falling in love with my beautiful girlfriend are just about the only thing that rank above it in good feelings. I always encourage everyone I talk to about it to REALLY give it a go. No matter if your competing for the win or just walking the 26 miles its worth it! I'm an exercise science major at Florida State University (GO NOLES) and I know some great training plans for all level of people going to give it a try! And if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask!

nicks_ahoy is offline Jungle VIP
    I started to train for a future marathon and did a mile in 4 minutes and a 5K in 20 minutes. Are those times good for a 14 year-old? Any suggestions for my traing DisneyGuy?
    Last edited by nicks_ahoy; 03-22-2007 at 09:14 PM.

Britmick is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks_ahoy View Post
    I started to train for a future marathon and did a mile in 4 minutes and a 5K in 20 minutes. Are those times good for a 14 year-old? Any suggestions for my traing DisneyGuy?
    Those are brilliant times for any year old.

You shouldn't need any special training. A mile takes me just under 10 minutes
    BRITMICK:mickey:

DVC Member Saratoga Springs 06

"I'm going to Disneyworld"

rae! is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I found out yesterday that the 2008 marathon weekend is disney's 15th and they are going to be giving out a special edition medal to everyone that finishes the race. Go to www.disneyworldmarathon.com to see all you have to do to qualifly.
    Goofy Race Half Challenge 2011
    Rae Club 8
    Creator of Team Voice
    teamvoice@rocketmail.com
    www.raeplace.blogspot.com
    www.virturalvoiceevents.blogspot.com

JGrau is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'll be doing the half marathon in Jan. My entire family did it last year and it's an amazing experience. Training is important, but my sister didn't train too much and finished well before the time limit. The strategy she used was run a couple miles, walk one or two, then try to run some more. It seemed to work well. A good training site is Hal Higdon. Just google it. He's got great 12 week training programs for all levels. Good luck!

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Yea i will be at the start line for the half marathon in 08. I have never done any race before but i run everyday so I am excited. That race for the tast sounds cool any one have more infor on it??
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

lenshanem is offline A-Ticket holder
    I just sent off the forms to do the Race for the Taste with DH. I'm a walker, but DH just finished his first half marathon in Atlanta and it made me feel motivated to try to run. I'm using a training program that eases walkers into running very slowly. It looks very doable. I'm still nervous, though!

I had wanted to do the 5K that is typically right before the Race for the Taste, but it is reported they are not doing it this year! So, I decided to just go for the 10K!

FYI, we're DVC members and yesterday when I called to book all they had left that weekend for studios was SSR! So, I booked it and we're now waitlisted for BCV or BWV. I wish I would have decided on all this earlier so I could have used the 11 month booking window at BCV. Oh, well.

DH really wants to do the half in January, but we are going for NYE during school break and there is just no way we can go back again a week later!

EDIT - Here's the book I'm using...
    http://amazon.com/o/ASIN/1553650875/...pf_rd_i=507846
    Last edited by lenshanem; 03-30-2007 at 02:44 PM.
    Shan

"Disneyland is like Alice stepping through the Looking Glass; to step through the portals of Disneyland will be like entering another world" - Walt Disney

lenshanem is offline A-Ticket holder
    I forgot to mention I read on another board that Disney has added another race in October, I believe it is the 27th and is a 13K??? But get this - it is a night race! Starting time is 9 PM! Unfortunately, DH will be gone on business or he'd be all over that!
    Shan

"Disneyland is like Alice stepping through the Looking Glass; to step through the portals of Disneyland will be like entering another world" - Walt Disney

vanMickey is offline A-Ticket holder
    That is great news lenshanem! The 10K is totally doable. It sounds like a lot of fun. I have heard Mike Scopa talk about how great the atmosphere is. Just remember to take your time and embrace the experience. It is really something magical to run through the parks with everyone cheering you on. Good luck!

I just read about the 13K myself. It sounds like it will be in conjunction with Mickey's Not So Scary and will finish on the Tower of Terror. That is pretty cool.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast