Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss WDW Marathon in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I ran the full marathon in 2004 & 2006. In 2004, I trained just to finish. That was rewarding enough for my first marathon. Yes, I really did just wake ...
    All4theShow is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I ran the full marathon in 2004 & 2006. In 2004, I trained just to finish. That was rewarding enough for my first marathon. Yes, I really did just wake up one day an say "I'd like to run a marathon." I wasn't a runner and I had never entered a race before. I trained for about 6 months. The 2006 race was my husband's first marathon. I mostly did it to support him. Even though I trained for it, he didn't. He tried to be the "yea I can do it without training guy." I had to slow down so much to stay with him that I eventually hit the wall and almost went down. I finally said "I love you, but I'll see you at the end." I was sure that he wouldn't finish, but eventually he came across the finish line crying like I'd never seen before. He said that it was from a mixture of pride and pain. My little one was born 1/30/07, so obviously this past marathon was out of the question. I am just itching to run the next one...

I was only going to run the 1/2 in 2008, but then I saw the thing about the special addition 15th anniversary medal. It's for the full only. I really can't pass that up. My husband has told me to save our money and not sign him up this time. My little one will be doing the diaper dash. I can't wait to share this weekend with her. It really is the one to run from "year to year"

P.S. They do give you a time chip if you don't have your own. They'll collect it at the finish when they give you your medal.
    Last edited by All4theShow; 04-02-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Always There
    Without A Care
    Soaking Up Sun
    And Having Some Fun!

She opened her eyes and I knew that my life would never be the same

MikeS is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Britmick View Post
    Hi Mike, just a quick question, does everyone who hasn't already got their own get given a Champion Chip so that their times are recorded? I believe they are like a plastic disc that go on your shoe.
    Sorry it took so long to get back here...Father of the Bride Syndrome.

You pick up your chip at the World of Sports and have it validated there 9make sure it's YOUR chip and identifying you) and then you attach it to your running shoe. It is clipped off at the end of the race...unless you want to keep it and pay something like $30 but I believe you then can use it for later races.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by disneyvixen View Post
    Ever since I saw Mike Scopa run by me at Animal Kingdom back in February, I've been thinking about this. (Yes, Mr. Scopa.. I had to do a double take, but when I realized it was you, that was the focal point for the rest the day! ) I figure you were getting some practice? I saw you running from Asia (near Expedition Everest). Ok so maybe I should've said something, I guess it was just very random to see THE Mike Scopa run by me! lol)Although I was never the best runner, I'm really thinking of giving this a shot. I'm in the process of losing some weight right now, but as far as "training" goes, what do those of you who've participated reccommend? Obviously running close to home would be the way to go, but if you have any other reccommendations, please feel free to share. Thanks!
    Wow...some poor guy actually looks like me? I've been to WDW every month except February and March so that wasn't me. However, I am in the market for a stunt double.

Training is like losing weight...it's a long consistent journey that spells success. I suggest you go with your gut feeling and find a race "close to home" to run in before heading to Orlando to run a race.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jswalker1981 View Post
    It is a 10K race. The race for the cure was a 5K race. I can't seem to find out if they are doing it this year.
    Unfortunately the Komen people will not be doing the central Florida RFTC in WDW. That's too bad because it was a great warmup race for the next day RFTC.

What's really a shame is that it may hurt their ability to raise funds.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Maestr034 View Post
    Yea i will be at the start line for the half marathon in 08. I have never done any race before but i run everyday so I am excited. That race for the tast sounds cool any one have more infor on it??
    RFTT has grown considerably over the years. i believe some five years ago it was known as the Disney 10K Classic or something like that.

Last year's participats dwarfed the previous year's number...it was like night and day.

The course starts at DAK and you enter through the back of MGM/Studios and then along the Boardwalk path to the International Gateway to EPCOT and then counter-clockwise around World Showcase. Last year while passing the American Adventure i saw Pocahontas, Cinderella, and Belle. \

All runners are fed after the race.

It's fun...but like all WDW races this course is beginning to have issues with supporting the huge number of participants.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by lenshanem View Post
    I forgot to mention I read on another board that Disney has added another race in October, I believe it is the 27th and is a 13K??? But get this - it is a night race! Starting time is 9 PM! Unfortunately, DH will be gone on business or he'd be all over that!
    i'm trying to find out more about this race. Obviously there is a tie in with Halloween....13K race is 8.08 miles. The race is to begin at 9 P.M. in MGM Studios and I'm guessing...just guessing...that all the runners will come across a few Disney villians along the course.

The big question is where the course will go. My guess is that it will go out towards DAK and finish there or possibly go out there and finish in EPCOT.

I am seriously considering doing this race instead of the RFTT.
    Mike

rae! is offline D-Ticket Holder
    It all sounds good!!!! Whatever race everyone is training for good luck and have a good time. I know I will be.
    Goofy Race Half Challenge 2011
    Rae Club 8
    Creator of Team Voice
    teamvoice@rocketmail.com
    www.raeplace.blogspot.com
    www.virturalvoiceevents.blogspot.com

Dennyha is offline A-Ticket holder
    I ran the Disney 1/2M for the first time in '07, and had a blast. I've signed up to do the Goofy in '08. Although I've taken the big jump, I'm definately not a runner. But if you stick to your training, and keep working at it, it's amazing what you can accomplish. (When people see me run, they look for the dog that must be chasing me. ).
    Anyway, the nighttime 13K sounds really, really interesting. We may have to book another trip to Disney at Halloween.
    Denny

ultramm is offline A-Ticket holder
    Here are more details. Sounds like a cool night race, glow in the dark shirt and ToT finisher medal. Party until 1:00am

We invite you if you dare to join us on October 27, 2007 for a running event that lies beyond the fifth dimension, beyond the deepest darkest corner of the imagination. Disney Sports is pleased to introduce The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 13K, which is the first night race in the Endurance Series at WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort. This race is a part of the celebration of the 13th Anniversary of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ attraction.

Sunset Boulevard, 1994
    On a night like this, long ago, a young movie actress named Shirley Malone and her husband checked into the Hollywood Tower Hotel. They laced up their shoes and went on a 13K run, knowing little of the nightmare into which their path would lead. For Shirley and her husband disappeared that night into a land of both shadows and substance, of things and ideas. The jogging trails of yesteryear are opening again, but this time they are opening for you. In this act, you are the star. What will be your fate as you brave the same path that led Shirley and her husband directly into, The Twilight Zone®.

ENTRY FEES
    Entry Fees for this event include a post-event party which will last from 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. The party will include a live band. The following attractions will be open for the party: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™, Rock 'n' Roller Coaste® starring Aerosmith, and The Great Movie Ride.

13K: $65.00
    6.5K: $40.00
    Additional Post-Event Party Tickets: $25.00

Registration Fees Include:

Glow in the dark race shirts
    Access to the post-event party

All finishers will receive

Commemorative The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 6.5 K and 13K Finisher Medal

DATE & TIME
    Both races will start on Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 9:00 p.m.

ELIGIBILITY
    All participants in the 13K must be at least 11 years of age to participate. The 6.5K is open to all ages.

RESTRICTIONS
    For everyone's safety, baby joggers/strollers, inline skates, skateboards, and animals will be prohibited on the course.

COURSE DESCRIPTION
    The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ 13K is an 8.1 mile night-time road race that will begin and end in the shadows of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror attraction at the Disney-MGM Studios. The course will also feature Disney's Wide World of Sports® Complex, before returning to Disney-MGM Studios where the course will feature the Lights, Motors, Action™ Extreme Stunt Show and then down New York Street, past the Sorcerer's Hat, to an unforgettable finish at The Twilight Zone Tower of Terrortrade. The 6.5K only scares you half way and back.

Robert
    DisneyRunning.com

lenshanem is offline A-Ticket holder
    That sounds like so much fun! And they're doing a 6.5K, too?!? Oh, wow I wish my DH wasn't gonna be on business then. I'd much rather do this than the RFTT.
    Shan

"Disneyland is like Alice stepping through the Looking Glass; to step through the portals of Disneyland will be like entering another world" - Walt Disney

ultramm is offline A-Ticket holder
    You gotta do the Inaugural race
    Robert
    DisneyRunning.com
    DisneyRunning.com Forum
    Going for Goofy #4 in 09

All4theShow is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Wow! That sounds sooooo great! I'll have to see if my husband's up for that one. It might be too scary to run alone.

Always There
    Without A Care
    Soaking Up Sun
    And Having Some Fun!

She opened her eyes and I knew that my life would never be the same

rae! is offline D-Ticket Holder
    We are going to try to do the Minnie in three weeks and the one in October then the half
    Goofy Race Half Challenge 2011
    Rae Club 8
    Creator of Team Voice
    teamvoice@rocketmail.com
    www.raeplace.blogspot.com
    www.virturalvoiceevents.blogspot.com

RedheadHokie is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm doing the 1/2 marathon in January -- got DH, niece and nephew to do it too (and talked a friend into joining us on the trip so that 6 year old DD would have someone to be with while we run)! I've never run before... but while listening to Lou (on show #4), I got inspired. I have weight to lose and need to get into shape, but feel good about the time I have to do it and the "plan" I have to get me there (will probably go the route of run/walk -- but feel confident that I will finish!).

I'm doing this in honor of my Dad, what life means, and the example I want to lead for my DD. Dad died on New Year's Day -- he wasn't the picture of health but we feel a car accident 3 days earlier is what ultimately took him. After dealing with the shock, I decided that I needed to remember to live, every day... and to, "Do everything better." It's all a process that I work on each day and that helps me to move on. I never ran before becuase I always told myself that I couldn't. Well, I'll be 40 in December and I want to say this time, I can!

Good luck to one and all!! Would love to meet everyone at the end... especially you, Lou!

PS - I didn't know that DVC members had a special rate!!
    Half Marathon - 1/12/08!

"We are the Hokies! We will previal! We will prevail! We will prevail! We ARE Virginia Tech!"
    We remember - 4/16/07

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
    -- Albus Dumbledore

When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are...

RIP
    John B. Suddarth
    My Dad
    You are missed
    8 August 1931 - 1 January 2007

Britmick is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by RedheadHokie View Post
    I'm doing the 1/2 marathon in January -- got DH, niece and nephew to do it too (and talked a friend into joining us on the trip so that 6 year old DD would have someone to be with while we run)! I've never run before... but while listening to Lou (on show #4), I got inspired. I have weight to lose and need to get into shape, but feel good about the time I have to do it and the "plan" I have to get me there (will probably go the route of run/walk -- but feel confident that I will finish!).

I'm doing this in honor of my Dad, what life means, and the example I want to lead for my DD. Dad died on New Year's Day -- he wasn't the picture of health but we feel a car accident 3 days earlier is what ultimately took him. After dealing with the shock, I decided that I needed to remember to live, every day... and to, "Do everything better." It's all a process that I work on each day and that helps me to move on. I never ran before becuase I always told myself that I couldn't. Well, I'll be 40 in December and I want to say this time, I can!

Good luck to one and all!! Would love to meet everyone at the end... especially you, Lou!

PS - I didn't know that DVC members had a special rate!!
    DVC members get a whole $5 reduction Not great but it means you can donate that bit to charity if you want. I had to contact Wide World of Sports to get the DVC/Cast member form
    BRITMICK:mickey:

DVC Member Saratoga Springs 06

"I'm going to Disneyworld"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast