Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss Marathon training in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I take a multi-vitamin and also a suplement that has glucosamine in it to help keep my joints in good shape. They seem to do a good job....
    cp1999 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I take a multi-vitamin and also a suplement that has glucosamine in it to help keep my joints in good shape. They seem to do a good job.
    Mike from Rochester. Yes that Mike from Rochester.

Vista Way- 1999
    Coronado Springs- 2000
    All Star Movies- 2003
    Caribbean Beach- 2004
    Animal Kingdom Lodge- 2005
    Saratoga Springs- 2008

AllAbouttheMouseketeer #119

TEAM VOICE '09
    "Many Goals, One Voice"

blueroses is offline A-Ticket holder
    I take Emergen-C, but not as part of my training. I don't track my heart rate anymore, but I did when I first started training. Are you tracking your resting heart rate or your rate as you exercise?

The usual formulas for maximum heart rate (ie, 220 - age) can be pretty far off. There's a newer formula (that I don't remember, but I bet our exercise science student can) that is somewhat closer, but the only true measure is to have someone test you. Resting heart rate can be really interesting to track. You can watch it decrease as your fitness increases and see that you are over-training if it starts increasing.

Has anyone out there had his VO2 Max tested? I have never talked myself into parting with the money (that can be spent on things like Mickey bars and Dole Whips ).
    Laurel

Important dates:
    Minnie Marathon 15K - 4 May, 2008
    Tower of Terror 13K - 25 October, 2008
    Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge Plus 5K - 9-11 January, 2009
    Princess 1/5 Marathon and 5K - 7-8 March, 2009

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I haven't. Of course I really don't go to the doctor very often (unless I need too) because I can't justify paying all of that just for the quack to say that I need to lose weight.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

rae! is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by cp1999 View Post
    I take a multi-vitamin and also a suplement that has glucosamine in it to help keep my joints in good shape. They seem to do a good job.
    We do too Mike. Gnc brand ,active for women and sport for men. I also take for the knees it is called Zyflamend. It helps with inflamation in the joints. I will sware by it.I do not have to take celebrex anymore.

I keep track of my heart.I have a Garmin that does that then I download it and take it to the doctors. I have healthy heart.My doctor's are supporting me with training.I keep a food dairy,and all. I don;t go every week Once every 6 months.Unless I get hurt I go sooner.
    I am up to 12.39 miles.
    Goofy Race Half Challenge 2011
    Rae Club 8
    Creator of Team Voice
    teamvoice@rocketmail.com
    www.raeplace.blogspot.com
    www.virturalvoiceevents.blogspot.com

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    [quote=rae!;603532] I also take for the knees it is called Zyflamend. It helps with inflamation in the joints. I will sware by it.I do not have to take celebrex anymore.

quote]

If I may....the Zyflamend...how much and for how long did you have to take it before you started feeling the benefits? GNC also? I'm a power distance walker (puppy in tow) whose knee's are beginning to feel their age. Almost thought of going back to swimming however can't figure out how to get the puppy into the Rec Center Pool.

Since we're in a Q&A mood I think I'll jump in. What are shin splints? I can't tell if I have them or not. I have what feels to be a small "lump" in my lower shin. It doesn't hurt, but it does feel kind of sore, but only when I touch it. It's not bothering me but I just wanted to know if that is what this is. If not, I'm going to go and get it check out.
    Last edited by mattj4226; 02-12-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Where did I get "stints" from?
    - Matt

cp1999 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Matt see your doctor. It could be.
    Mike from Rochester. Yes that Mike from Rochester.

Vista Way- 1999
    Coronado Springs- 2000
    All Star Movies- 2003
    Caribbean Beach- 2004
    Animal Kingdom Lodge- 2005
    Saratoga Springs- 2008

AllAbouttheMouseketeer #119

TEAM VOICE '09
    "Many Goals, One Voice"

Matt go have it checked out and be on the safe side.
    Shin splints are were the bone in the front of your leg becomes very,very sore. If i remember right it is when the muscles pull away from the the bone. Not positive. Go to the doctor and have it checked out.Since you have a knot on your leg.

The zyflamend I felt working in 5 days.I take the liquid.The caps are expensive.Whole foods is where I found it.Not sure if GNC carries it.
    Rae Club 8
    Creator of Team Voice
    teamvoice@rocketmail.com

Here is an eplanation of Shin Splints.
    What are they?
    Shin splints, the catch-all term for lower leg pain that occurs below the knee either on the front outside part of the leg (anterior shin splints) or the inside of the leg (medial shin splints), are the bane of many athletes, runners, tennis players, even dancers. They often plague beginning runners who do not build their mileage gradually enough or seasoned runners who abruptly change their workout regimen, suddenly adding too much mileage, for example, or switching from running on flat surfaces to hills
    Rae Club 8
    Creator of Team Voice
    teamvoice@rocketmail.com

Problem: "My shin is sore."

By Deb Dellapena

Whether it's serious or mild, we'll help you figure out the source of your shin pain
    Problem: "My shin is sore."

Q: Did the pain start soon after you made a major change to your training regimen (such as increasing your mileage by more than 10 percent a week or switching from running on a trail or treadmill to the road)?

If the answer is no, you ran into a coffee table or something. Really, it's most likely nothing. Take a day or two of rest. If the pain persists or you answered yes to the first question, continue to the next question.

Q: Does your calf feel tight, does your shin feel tingling? Does it ache when you're not exercising? Do you feel numbness or weakness in your foot?

If the answer is yes, you could have Compartment Syndrome, see [A] below. If no, read on.

Q: Is the pain present before you start running, fade once you're warmed up, and return again once you're done?

If the answer is yes, you could have shinsplints.

If you answered yes to the first question, but no to the next two, you could have a Tibial Stress Fracture see [C] below.

[A] Compartment Syndrome occurs when pressure within the muscle along your shin builds to dangerous levels, preventing blood and oxygen from reaching the nerve and muscle cells. See a doctor for a "pressure test," which measures the internal pressure of your muscle. Expect a four- to six-week layoff from running, during which you should treat it with ice, anti-inflammatories, massage, and stretching. If this therapy doesn't work, surgery may be necessary.

[B] Shinsplints is an overuse injury caused by small tears in the lower leg muscles. Worn-out shoes or lack of cushioning could be contributing to the problem. Take a few days off from running, and cross-train, ice, and stretch and massage the area. If the pain doesn't fade after two weeks, see a doctor to make sure it's not compartment syndrome or a stress fracture.

[C] Tibial stress fractures are overuse injuries that occur when the muscles become fatigued and can't absorb the shock of running. The workload is transferred to the bones, which can cause a tiny crack. Stress fractures are often misdiagnosed as shinsplints. The difference: Shinsplints are a muscle injury, and the pain fades once the muscle's warmed up. Fractures are a bone injury, and the pain worsens as you run. If you suspect a fracture, see a doctor for an x-ray, which will determine if you need an MRI or bone scan. Treatment is four to six weeks off from running. Cross-training depends on the severity of the fracture.

Last edited by MickeyBabe; 02-15-2008 at 06:34 PM.
    Rae Club 8
    Creator of Team Voice
    teamvoice@rocketmail.com

Thanks you guys, I'm going to make an appointment today. Now I just have to find a quack in this town who will treat me. lol
    - Matt

Quote Originally Posted by rae! View Post

The zyflamend I felt working in 5 days.I take the liquid.The caps are expensive.Whole foods is where I found it.Not sure if GNC carries it.
    Thanks. Now I just have to find a Whole Food's, I've heard of them so they must be around here.

Quote Originally Posted by mattj4226 View Post
    Thanks you guys, I'm going to make an appointment today. Now I just have to find a quack in this town who will treat me. lol
    Matt can tell you are not a fan of Doc's. They are not all created equal. Get recommendations. Do you or family members know any runners?
    They can probably steer you to Doc's that have good reps. Schools are also very good sources. Go to the Athletic Dept. of your college. They have directors who can steer you to the doctors they and their athletes have worked with successfully. They might also let you see their trainer. Even better, depending on the size of the school, they might have sports Doc's that attend many of the athletic events. You could even revisit your old high school and ask that Athletic Director for their recommendations, they too generally have at least a part time trainer. Most High School trainers are paired off with a Sports OrthoDoc that they work with. (My Board of Education member experience, we hire these folks) A General Practitioner is a crude shoot, those Doc's might not have current info about this type of a problem.

And the Mom in me....Go see both the schools and Doc with a positive attitude. Explain you are in the process of pulling off some weight and have seen success so far. Tell them your weight and marathon goals and that you are trying to prevent injury from getting in the way of you achieving those goals. You're likely then to get folks to help you in a positive manner. If they are not a good match try again, but recommendations from athletes are generally going to yield the best results.

It is really cool to follow the progress of you guys and how you support each other. Go Team!

Here is the link to one of the places I get it from.
    Zyflamend Liquid - New Chapter
    Rae Club 8
    Creator of Team Voice
    teamvoice@rocketmail.com

Thanks so much Rae. (Owwweeeee.........I'm so happy I can at least quick reply now!) The little things in life.

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder
    The whole idea behind a maximum heart rate can be complicated. The general formula of 220-age (sometimes 225-age for women which accounts for the generally smaller size of the female heart) can work but you have to be careful when taking it into account. For some people this measure really is too low and for others it's a little bit too high. The best thing you could do is talk to your doctor and undergo a workout regimine under their watch...obviously this can be expensive. If you have the opportunity to monitor your heart rate then the best thing you can do is take this GENERAL formula into account and then watch for your heart rate to actually go down. That is one of the major effects of aerobic training, your heart rate will actaully decrease at rest and through out exercise. The whole mechanism is complicated but as you train, you heart becomes what you could consider "more efficient" and with that it takes fewer beats per minute to pump the same amount of blood to your working muscles. The efficiency comes from greater myocardial strength (heart muscle), greater ventricular size and a few other factors. But your maximum heart rate usually will not change. Why? Well because your heart rate will still reach that maximum rate BUT it will take longer to get there and that means that there will be more oxygen delivered to your working muscles. All of this accounts for greater aerobic possibilities and strength, which means longer, faster, better runs! If you are just getting into running worry more about listening to your body but not being afraid to push it past the comfort level, thats the only way your body is going to respond and change.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast