Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss 2009 WDWRadio Marathon Team in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by flutter Oh Lori and I will entertain each other Yes we will. If we end up falling down it will most likely be from laughter....
    Quote Originally Posted by flutter View Post
    Oh Lori and I will entertain each other
    Yes we will. If we end up falling down it will most likely be from laughter.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

flutter is offline Moderator
    are you registered?

I am officially registered now. No going back now.

I may end up being the 1,000th happy haunt.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder
    A few thoughts:

First, I would register now if you are feeling "sunsure." Why? Well because sometimes not wasting money is a good start for motivation! If you sign up now, you also are giving yourself (almost) a year to start building up your miles. That is more than enough time to get you where you want to be to reach your goals.

Second, this Thursday there is a movie showing in select theaters called "The Spirit of the Marathon." It's a documentary about six marathoners entered into the Chicago Marathon and their experiences during and leading up to the race. The six people range from first timers to professionals who run for a living. It is bound to be a very inspirational movie and it might just be the kick in the butt you are looking for to get started on your training.

Third, I want to tell everyone here that finishing a marathon or half marathon is one of the most empowering things you could ever do for yourself. The feeling of being at the start line (especially at the Disney Marathon) is like no other and when you cross that finish line, it's beyond words. Don't ever let yourself say "I can't" "I won't" or "I shouldn't." That can't be a part of your vocabulary anymore. Just do it as Nike might say. You will inspire not only yourself but also the people around you. The marathon is a distance that will challenge you mind, body and soul. We are humans, born with legs that are meant to move us places. We were not made to watch TV or use the computer. Everyone of us has this ability in us, but now it's up to you, will you do it? Will you step up to the plate and take on this challenge? It's up to you now. You have a year and if you tell yourself you can do it. You will.

One more thing, if you finish a marathon you are joining an elite club of people. Less than 0.5% of the world's people have ever finished a marathon. That's pretty cool to think about if you ask me :0)

Plus, where in the world could you think of that is a better place to run a marathon?! This is Disney World people! If nothing else, go do it and have a heck of a good time!

blueroses is offline A-Ticket holder
    Heads up for anyone considering the Goofy in 2009. Registration is currently at 65% capacity, so this one is going to fill soon. This is mind-blowing considering that they increased the number of openings from 3000 to 4000 for 2009. Remember, you have to sign up for the Goofy to get the medal. It doesn't count if you sign up for each race separately. Disney hasn't said anything about capacity for the 1/2 and full, but these always sell out well before race time. For the 2008 races, the 1/2 filled up by June 1st and the full was filled in late August. Registration for the 5K is not open yet.

Prices have gone up this year:
    1/2: $100
    Full: $110
    Goofy: $235

Looking forward to joining everyone in 2009,
    Laurel

Thanks a lot for that info!!! I checked in the other day and couldn't find what capacity was at...I signed up last night so I am officially in! Hope to see everyone there!

bob74 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Bob Behan........Race: 1/2

I am already signed up and in training. Lou and the gang has inspired me.

BFee is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm in, but I haven't decided if I'm doing the half this year or the full. I'll let you know when I make up my mind.

GoofTroop3 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I'm in. I did the 1/2 marathon in 2008 and I loved it. What an incredible feeling! So I signed up to do the Goofy in 2009. So put me down too.

I had never run before I started training around March of last year. I just gradually increased the amount of time I ran. I ran on treadmills and outside on pavement. At first I had to run and walk as I built up to 20 minutes of continuous running. After that, it was much easier to add more time.

I also ran in the Tower of Terror 13K and I thought that being able to complete that race was a good measure of where my training needed to be by October to run 13 in January.

I would appreciate any training tips from people who have done the Goofy.

Kate

abramdf is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm in, too, but I also have to decide between the half, full, or Goofy (and I'm leaning towards Goofy!).

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Looks like we have an official WDWRadio Team forming for 2009! Yeah!!! My DH will be running again, but not sure if it will be the Full, Half or Goofy (Lou, you created a monster!)

Let's get this official list started.....

Name............................................. Half/Full/Goofy/Cheering................................ Interested in Meeting?

Lori (lorilovestigger) ............................... Half .................................................. .......... ??
    Jeremy Johnson (DisneyGuy87) .......... Goofy! .................................................. ....... Meet?
    Tracy (flutter) ......................................... Half .................................................. .......... ofcourse
    Valerie (MickeyBabe) ............................. Cheering .................................................. .. Of course! .
    Steve (Coach) ........................................ ??? .................................................. .......... ??
    Laurel (blueroses) .................................. ??? .................................................. .......... ??
    Bob Behan (Bob74) ................................ Half .................................................. .......... ??
    Brian Fee (BFee) ..................................... ??? .................................................. .......... ??
    Kate (Gooftroop3) ................................. Goofy .................................................. ........ ??
    abramdf .................................................. . ??? .................................................. .......... ??

Quote Originally Posted by blueroses View Post
    Looking forward to joining everyone in 2009,
    Laurel
    Laurel, I couldn't' get enough info from your post, does this mean you are in? If so let me know how to fill in your information

Brian (BFee), abramdf (?), ditto on filling in the blanks.

As soon as I sign DH up I'll update his info too!

If I have missed anyone or gotten something wrong, please let me know and I will update the list.
    Anyone with a " ? " please let me know how to fill in that information.

Good luck to all of Team WDWRadio 2009!!!!

One thing I know for sure, I am booking my hotel reservations way in advance!
    Last edited by flutter; 01-23-2008 at 05:53 PM.

abramdf is offline A-Ticket holder
    I forgot that I rarely introduce myself on the few forums I'm on. My name is Dominic Abram, call me Dom.

I'll be at the meet regardless of what I end up running and I'm leaning more and more towards the Goofy. As soon as I know, I'll pass along the info.

Thanks!

blueroses is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe View Post
    Laurel, I couldn't' get enough info from your post, does this mean you are in? If so let me know how to fill in your information
    Sorry about that
    Laurel (blueroses) .................................. Goofy +5K (aka the "Dopey") .................................................. .......... yes

Quote Originally Posted by GoofTroop3
    I would appreciate any training tips from people who have done the Goofy.

Kate
    Congratuations on finishing your first 1/2 marathon! I did the Goofy and the 5K this year. Last fall I did 3 half marathons, a 10K, and the ToT 13K. The full marathon section of the Goofy was my first marathon and honestly it stressed me out more than a little Saturday afternoon before the race start. I had a good 5K, an average 1/2 marathon (due a lot to the heat and also because I held back some knowing there was another race the next day) and a SLOW full marathon. My pace was a full minute slower than what I had targeted. I learned a lot about what happens on a 5+ hour run that I didn't know before. My longest training run was 16 miles (preceded by a 8 mile run the day before).

There are several training plans on Active.com specifically for the Goofy that I just found. I haven't bought one yet because I think the price - $40 - is high. It's a 20 week program and I might buy it closer in to the date of the race.

If anyone has any questions about the Goofy, I'd be happy to try to answer them. Additionally, ultramm, who has posted here before, has an incredible website with information for anyone interested in any of the Disney races, DisneyRunning.com. I can't say enough good things about it.

Laurel

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast