Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss Wine & Dine Half Marathon in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I've never run a race in my life and I am NOT a runner. But I want to run in the Wine & Dine half marathon. I want to get ...
    Duchess99 is offline A-Ticket holder

Wine & Dine Half Marathon

I've never run a race in my life and I am NOT a runner. But I want to run in the Wine & Dine half marathon. I want to get in shape and I've always wanted to set a healthy goal for myself. This is it...I'm turning 30 in 2 months and it's time! I've really excited and I'm starting to train next week...when my treadmill arrives
    So who's with me? Who's doing Wine & Dine? I need a lot support and I'd love to give others support in getting there! We have a little over 9 months and a long way to go.
    Last edited by Duchess99; 01-23-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    Sarah
    "Everybody wants to be a cat!!"

9/09-AKL **Honeymoon**
    2/07-SS
    3/04-AKL
    5/01-DL Paris
    3/01-WLV
    12/00-Off-Site
    1/99-AS Music
    2/97-AS Sports
    2/95-AS Music
    6/93-OKW
    11/92-Off-Site
    3/92-Dolphin/Contemporary
    3/91-Swan
    3/90-Swan
    And many times prior...

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: Wine & Dine Half Marathon

As of right now I'm not planning on running the race, but I am doing a local half marathon in April, which will be my third. Like you, I hit 30 and realized its time! For the first few months it was tough, but once it caught on, I was addicted, and just don't feel right unless I get my run in. Heres a great half marathon training guide if you are interested. Half Marathon Training: Novice
    Also, here's a great place to keep track of your running Buckeyeoutdoors.com
    Happy running!

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks! I need to get up to 3 miles, but that looks like a good plan once I get started Good luck with your half in April...I'd love to hear how it goes!!
    Sarah

9/09-AKL **Honeymoon**
    2/07-SS
    3/04-AKL
    5/01-DL Paris
    3/01-WLV
    12/00-Off-Site
    1/99-AS Music
    2/97-AS Sports
    2/95-AS Music
    6/93-OKW
    11/92-Off-Site
    3/91-Swan
    3/90-Swan
    And many times prior...

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Duchess99 View Post
    Thanks! I need to get up to 3 miles, but that looks like a good plan once I get started Good luck with your half in April...I'd love to hear how it goes!!
    Yeah, 3 miles was a big milestone for me when I got started, 5 K's are great to train for, my wife and I are running the WDW Princess and the Frog Royal Family 5 K in Epcot on Princess Half Marathon weekend, it will be her first race, and I'm pushing my 2 yr old in the stroller, so it should be the most exciting race I've done, really looking forward to it.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

Start out slow. When I train I start out walking and work my way up to running. There are some great programs out there but I was never good at following them. I guess because I know that I don't plan on running the whole thing. I try and run/walk them. Make sure you have the right kind of running shoes for your feet. Go to a running store and have them look at your feet and pick out the right ones. I have high arches and never realized that until I started training.

I'm thinking of doing Wine & Dine but haven't decided yet. Hopefully I'll decide within the next month of so.

Good luck!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Thanks for the advice Lori! I'm pretty realistic in thinking that I won't run the whole thing either. I found the Couch to 5K plan that I'm going to try out and see how I do. That will probably help to determine what my stamina will be.
    Let me know if you decide to sign up for the race. I'd love to know some other people that are running so I'm not doing it all on my own. I'm thinking I'll need some motivation to drag me across the finish line
    Sarah

9/09-AKL **Honeymoon**
    2/07-SS
    3/04-AKL
    5/01-DL Paris
    3/01-WLV
    12/00-Off-Site
    1/99-AS Music
    2/97-AS Sports
    2/95-AS Music
    6/93-OKW
    11/92-Off-Site
    3/91-Swan
    3/90-Swan
    And many times prior...

I'm sure there will be some type of meet and greet before the race. I know we all met up before the Tower race this past year.

ginamarie is offline A-Ticket holder

My husband and I just registered to do the half marathon. It will be our first long distance race, but we agreed that we want to get into better shape. We are working our way up to running with walking/running near home to train. We are also looking at doing a local 5k in June. I can't wait. Lou makes the Disney races sound like an incredible experience!

It looks like Wine and Dine is out for me. Bugger!

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

I am planning to do this.

I use the Galloway training program and run with a group here in Atlanta. They use run/walk intervals and generally have several options. I do a 2 minute run with a 1 minute walk interval.

I am a little worried. I did the first Tower of Tower....One of the great Disney screwups. Race started an hour late because they didn't think about traffic arriving at the park at closing time (DUH? When you chose to only provide race transport from a very few resorts, there are going to be LOTS of buses) And then the party??? Hmm.. Close all the food stands and charged me $4 for a can of coke. GEE that was nice!

So I am going with low expectations for both the race and party. Hopefully they will surprise me and get it right...

Sonny Eclipse is offline Fastpass Holder

I am really considering doing this one. I was going to register for the 2011 half but may do this instead. I am trying to talk a friend of mine into doing it with me.

plutopuppy is offline A-Ticket holder

I just signed up for this yesterday. I'm very excited for it. I will be doing the Royal Family 5K this year. It was so much fun last year that I had to do it again. Now I'm looking forward to trying a longer distance.

I've been trying to find group training in my local area but most of them meet in the early evening when I have classes (I'm a full time college student). So it looks like I will have to go it alone. I might work on convincing my roommate to train with me. I got her to do the 5K with me, so I'll have to see how she fares after that.

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

Disney just released the details on the 5K. Morning of this race. $99!!!! Does include a Halloween Party ticket for Sunday, but ... there's no way I am paying $99 plus Active.com fees for a 5k! LOL!

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder

I'll be there, using it as one of the many training events for me. Hope to run it in 1:15 or so! What is everyone else looking at for a time?

Major Dude is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'm in for 2011 but I'll be following this thread for the 2010 race.

I'm thinking about doubling next year, Disneyland Half in September and then Wine & Dine in October. Anybody trying this in 2010? I would be curious about your training between the two races.

1:15 DisneyGuy? That's quicker than the traffic here in LA.
    Last edited by Major Dude; 04-27-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    BareFozzie in the box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast