Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss I'm running the 2011 Marathon.... in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hey guys, In 2011 I am going to run the half marathon. I want to know what I am in for. A couple of questions are... 1. Is it mostly ...
    wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

I'm running the 2011 Marathon....

Hey guys,
    In 2011 I am going to run the half marathon. I want to know what I am in for. A couple of questions are...
    1. Is it mostly flat terrain?
    2. What is going on during the race? ( I know they play music and have characters around.)
    3. How did you train for the race? ( Right now I am still dealing with a bit of pain for a fractured leg back in November.My doctors says it is healed and I can run.)
    4. If there is anything else you have to say about the the half marathon, training and other stuff, please tell me. =]
    Thanks for all the advice
    Mckayla.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)

re: I'm running the 2011 Marathon....

1. Is it mostly flat terrain?

Mostly flat. Bad part is between mile 10 and 12. There is an off ramp and a hill.

2. What is going on during the race? ( I know they play music and have characters around.)

That's pretty much it. Some people will start talking to you too. Make sure to take your Ipod for entertainment in between the Djs and bands.

3. How did you train for the race? ( Right now I am still dealing with a bit of pain for a fractured leg back in November.My doctors says it is healed and I can run.)

Training depends on how you plan on doing the race. Are you planning on walking or running it or both?

4. If there is anything else you have to say about the the half marathon, training and other stuff, please tell me. =]

Make sure you have the right shoes! Go to a running store and have them fit you for the right shoes. I didn't realize I have high arches until I started training. I went through 3 pairs of running shoes before I found the right pair. Don't run in cotton. Buy the appropriate clothing to train in. Stuff that wicks away the sweat.

I blogged about the half last year and a little this year. Check them out. Make sure to listen to Lou's marathon shows too. He did one this year and last year.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

Take the training slow.....

If you start out too fast you are liable to get injured.

You might look into a training group. I use Galloway which does run/walk intervals. I like having someone to run with on the long training runs.

Realize this is a VERY popular race. Don't plan on setting some "speed record" Do it for the experience!

Sonny Eclipse is offline Fastpass Holder

Check out Lori's blog. It has some great information on the race and was a great resource for me.

I second the advice on the right shoes. I started off training with the wrong shoes and it was not good. Once I went to a running store and got the right shoes on, everything changed and the training was much better.

I used Hal Higdon's training plan once I got closer to the race

Half Marathon Training: Novice

Thanks for the shout out on the blog!!

And yes start out slow. I rushed training this time around and now have a stress fracture. I'm sick of these crutches.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

I love Lori's blog.
    My father and I started using Hal Higdon's training plan but then kind of got off it.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)

Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post

Training depends on how you plan on doing the race. Are you planning on walking or running it or both?
    I am planning on both.
    Mckayla

Mary jo is offline Fastpass Holder

I would advise you to check out Run Injury Free with Jeff Galloway: Your Complete Running Resource. Marathon Training, Half Marathon Training, 10K Training.. He got me thru my first marathon and this goofy challenge. I agree with everything Lori said. I don't think you need an ipod for the half. The full has longer periods of road where there's nothing going on, so I would recommend it for the full. During the full this year, there were marching bands, cheerleaders, characters, hot air balloons (one that looked like Spaceship Earth), people on stilts, actors acting like tacky tourists and Pheidippides (a greek messenger that supposedly ran the first marathon). The characters ranged from the pretty common in the park to the super rare to common ones with unusual costumes.
    It is an amazing journey and race day. I promise if you train properly you will never regret doing it. My first marathon was a day that I will never forget.
    Just remember the pain is temporary, the memories of the good times are forever.
    Good Luck.
    Mary Jo
    Listen for Storytime with MoJo

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player

Re: I'm running the 2011 Marathon....

Please come on over to the Official 2011 WDW Radio Marathon Who's Running/Cheering Thread and let us know who all is coming!!!!

http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/disne...tml#post859934

I can't wait to see you all again and cheer you all on!

... Steve will be running with you all again

~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Mary jo is offline Fastpass Holder

McKayla, I will have an article on the marathon (and Goofy Challenge) posted on the WDW Radio site later today. Check it out. I have a few pointers in there as well.
    Mary Jo
    Listen for Storytime with MoJo

Figment071 is offline A-Ticket holder

Mckayla,

My wife and I are training for the Half-Marathon in 2011. We are not runners (but we are learning) and we are using this opportunity to get in shape. This is all new to me, but since I am almost 40, I figured its now or never. We are also from Ohio and finding it hard to train when it won't stop snowing. Luckily we did join a gym so we have access to Treadmills. Can't wait until the weather breaks so we can hit the trails.

We are here for support if you need it and will share any training advice that we get. I know we will need a little encouragement and advice along the way too. This is not going to be an easy hill to climb, but I refuse to give up. Maybe we can get a group of Ohioans to "Represent" in the Half-Marathon!

Good luck in your training and hope to see you in Florida. As Lou says "Keep Moving Forward".

Shawn

soarinsally is offline C-Ticket Holder

I live in Canada and we have to train in the snow as well. Came in handy this year for the 2010 runs as it was during the cold spell in Florida. It actually snowed the morning of the race. Was really cold weather. Make sure you are dressed for the weather. Otherwise it can be really hard on you. Because you never know what the weather is going to be you have to be prepared for everything. If it's cold make sure you have something to stay warm in while you wait for the race to start. A lot of people I know will go to a 2nd hand store to buy sweatpants and sweat shirts and then just toss them away. The clothes are then picked up and donated to other charities.

Unless you want to buy the Race Retreat. I have done that the 2 races I have run and have found it to be worth every penny.