Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss Feedback on the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Can someone give me some feedback on the Wine & Dine 1/2? I really wanted to run the 1/2, but the start time threw me off . . . I'm ...
    tmbcole is offline C-Ticket Holder

Feedback on the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon

Can someone give me some feedback on the Wine & Dine 1/2? I really wanted to run the 1/2, but the start time threw me off . . . I'm a morning runner.

When we're at Disney, we try to pack as much as possible into a short period of time. How difficult was it to finish the race that started so late? Where you so pumped that it didn't matter, or were you really tired and struggled to cross the finish line?

I'm having regrets for not running, but I would like to hear some feedback from the other runners. Depending on the responses, I might sign up next year.

Thanks.
    Tina Cole

johnatthebar is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Feedback on the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon

Well, while I consider myself fit, as a rule, I don't run on purpose...but I was there this weekend :-)

Being an observer I can tell you that while the event was very popular, it seemed like a good number of people were down for the count afterwards. I saw a number of people being treated by RCES and countless others just laying down on the sidewalk covered with the mylar type blankets. Granted, with 11k people running, it was still a small percentage.

The Finish Line Party was fun, but quickly became overcrowded as the masses started finishing the run. There also seemed to be a small bottleneck issue at the finish line for a good little while, as well as a shortage of bathrooms at the end (only some pavilions restrooms were operational).

I'm sure someone who actually ran can provide more of what you were looking for, but there's my 2 cents.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

You can check out a blog post on the event at allears.net. It might answer some of your questions.

tmbcole is offline C-Ticket Holder

Thanks for your input. I read the allears blog and that certainly gave me an idea of what to expect.
    Tina Cole

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

Go on Run Disney's page on facebook

Honestly, this was probably the worst "post event" expereince I have EVER had with ANY race. Will I do it again? Well... Disney has to prove that they plan to fix the issues! And put some lights on the course. That many people running in places where there was NO light was dangerous!

You should not have to wait an hour for your "checked" luggage. You should be able to use your "free coupons" for the food/drink without waiting an hour. Cast Members should not be TSA rejects (their response to the whole mess was to SCREAM at the runners! ) The food handed out at the end of the race should be more then a "stale" muffin (I hear I was 'suppose' to get a bannana too, but I only had a stale muffin in my bag!)

One of the reasons so many were "down for the count" was the baggage check mess. It's VERY hard on your body to go from running full out to a FULL stop. Generally you have a "cool down" Not here, you were herded into a overheated building and told to STAND there. Really took it out of a lot of people!
    Last edited by Carolla; 11-03-2010 at 12:11 PM.

two-foxes is offline A-Ticket holder

Just want to do a quick reply because I am a morning runner and need to get off to bed to wake for my 4 am run!

I did the second leg of the relay (8.6 miles), so didn't even get started til after 11pm (my partner had a slow pace). That being said, the time didn't phase me at all. The excitement and fun really does take that aspect out of it, IMHO.

The issues most seemed to have with the start time was either they did too much that day or didn't time their meals out right. I ate a fairly large breakfast, and lightly throughout the day after that and I was fine.

Those who checked bags who may not have been feeling well were then shoved into the small, smelly party of the senses building....and it was game over, then.

Do it, relax well the day of and eat lightly, and you should be fine!
    [CENTER]Jill, Tim and the crazy boys Merrick (3) and Reagan James (1)

Sonny Eclipse is offline Fastpass Holder

I actually liked the late start time. I got to sleep in and relax during the day. I liked the run but the after party had WAY too many people and that just turned out to be as not as good a time as I expected. I didn't check a bag either and based on everything I heard, will probably not do so in the future.

All in all, I would do this run again although it will probably be a few years as I have my sights set on either the half or full for marathon weekend 2012. Hopefully by then, they have the bugs ironed out with the bag check.

nancypawsngo is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi. I am a morning runner, like you. I did not rest in the days prior so my legs were rubbery at the end-something I have never experienced before. I did try to eat early in the day for this race, but I still felt queasy the entire time. The animal smell from AK didn't help. There was only one small spectator viewing area at the end of the race, so there is no encouragement along the way-that was a bummer. My group left the post race party right away as it was quite overwhelming. (I did enjoy listening to Off-Kilter while I waited for them, but the food & drink lines were too long for my tired body to stand around and wait.) I would do this again in about two years after they have the kinks worked out (Deluxe resorts don't get transport to the race; party tickets were made of paper, so they fell apart when you sweated; too many people at the party; bag pick up was horrible; so on...). It is neat to run the parks at night, just don't expect to PR if you are not a night runner. In the end, it is Disney, so you know it is fun!

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

The Run Disney facebook page has an announcement of SOME changes to the race. I admit that I am worried that the "enhanced" party means either (a) higher cost or (b) even MORE party tickets sold for the after party (and Epcot was more crowded at that Party then it has been on major holidays when I have been there)

However, they did get the message that the race end was a nightmare and seem to have fixed that (and on a positive note I think I can use my car as bag check this year)

So even thought it ranks as the "worst run race I have ever done" (and there are 13 half marathon medals on my wall plus some 5 and 10Ks) I will give them a end chance!

Just don't expect a lot is my motto for this year (Kind of sad isn't it. Go to Disney and expect little )

jeanigor is offline D-Ticket Holder

The 2010 Wine and Dine Half was my first race of any major distance. I was a spectator for the Siberian WDW 2010 Marathon Weekend and knew I had to do a Disney race.

Not knowing 100% what to expect, I was a little let down throughout the race and especially with the after party. Now, after completing the 2011 Donald and 2011 Princess, I am almost disgusted at the way the W&D was put on. It was an inaugural race, but this wasn't runDisney's first time to the rodeo. I was slightly overwhelmed with emotion from finishing, so I blocked out all the negative stuff from the party, but I made it from the Millennium Pavilion to France, sat for 45 minuted while my non running friend used my ticket to get me a snack and then hobbled back to the Boardwalk shortly before the party ended. It was 4th of July busy if not worse.

I had wrote letters to runDisney, Epcot Special Events, and the race director. I got a phone call to discuss my concerns and how I felt it could have been better. I really appreciated the fact that they took the time to hear the criticisms and see what they could do to improve the experience. Let's face it a Disney race isn't cheap. Nor is it a single day event for most folks.

All that being said, I registered for the 2011 W&D ½ Marathon. I have talked some friends into coming down and doing it as well, or the relay portion. I anticipate, from what runDisney has released, that there will be some major and minor tweaks done to improve the quality of the race and after party.

My expectations will be somewhat similar to what they were for the 2010 W&D:

•Have fun
    •Run though the parks
    •See characters
    •Enjoy the post race activities
    •NOT set a Personal Record, because that could interfere with the first expectation.
    I'm fairly certain that given a tiara and a nice cape, I could save the world--one sequin at a time.

2011 Donald ½ Marathon 2:59:00. 2011 Princess ½ Marathon
    3:12:40.
    2011 Disneyland ½ Marathon 3:13:52. 2011 Wine & Dine ½ Marathon --3:06:56.
    2012 Donald ½ Marathon --. 2012 Tinkerbell ½ Marathon --.

Grand Camping Adventure Information

nancypawsngo is offline A-Ticket holder

They have made changes to this race, so I signed up for it. They are ending the race in the Epcot parking lot, so there will be much more room. They have decided to open up Future World and some restaurants. They are limiting after party tickets. The numbers I heard were approx 11k runners and 6K after party tickets. Feel free to double check me on that. The price is $145 if you register by 4/17. Last year is was $135.