Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss Which Race to Run? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I am not a runner, let me just start off with that. But after hearing all about the marathon races at Disney on the podcast for the last couple years, ...
    Be11e is offline C-Ticket Holder

Which Race to Run?

I am not a runner, let me just start off with that. But after hearing all about the marathon races at Disney on the podcast for the last couple years, I feel really motivated to run in one. I've made it my New Years resolution to start training to run a race in 2012 (because that is how long it is going to take me.) I'm going to just start with a 1/2 marathon for now and MAYBE in the future work my way up to a full.

I was just wondering what is the best 1/2 marathon to run in for a runner's first 1/2 marathon race at Disney? At first I was thinking marathon weekend in January, but now I wonder if doing the Princess 1/2 marathon would be better?

Any input? Also any tips for training or running at Disney would be great.

I've just kinda started getting into shape by going to the gym and getting on the elliptical, and on good days I'm doing couch-to-5K training (walking/running intervals.) I am also going to look into smaller 5K/10K local races to participate in throughout the year when possible.
    Next Trip: January 2012
    All-Star Sports for Marathon Weekend
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2004 - Disney Cruise Line, Magic
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

mejkjj97 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Which Race to Run?

I am doing my first 1/2 marathon this year and I am going to be doing the Food and Wine. I don't know if it's a wise choice but I do like to run at night and that is why I picked this race.

My friend ran the Princess Half Marathon last year and that was her first and she loved it! She said it was so much fun and she took her time running and enjoyed every minute of it.
    Kim J

Me DH DD (7) DD (2)

My first race was the half during marathon weekend in 2009. I LOVED IT!!! I've never done the Princess so I'm not sure how to compare it.

Don't forget to join the WDWRadio Running Team!!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

DisneyMatt is offline A-Ticket holder

I have only run two half marathons in my life, the WDW 1/2 and the Wine and Dine 1/2. I think I am in the minority (by far) in saying that I enjoyed the running experience of the Wine and Dine 1/2 much more than the WDW 1/2. I enjoyed jogging through 3 parks instead of 2, and I liked the night running aspect of the race. Additionally, it snowed during the WDW 1/2 I ran, which WAS NOT fun! There were problems with the Wine and Dine (especially at the end) but the actual race was more fun for me during the Wine and Dine. Get associated with RunDisney. Last piece of advice...FOLLOW JEFF GALLOWAY'S METHOD! He is associated with RunDisney now, and his method will help you train at your pace.

OK, one more piece of advice. Go to a running store so they can fit you with the right shoe. I weigh 230 lbs, so I had to be fit with a very specific shoe since I am a heavy runner. I am glad I spent the money up front for this service, the right shoe makes a world of difference! Sorry for the thesis
    never fear...DISNEYMATT IS HERE!!

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

I too am looking to run in the WDW Marathon on 2012. Anyone with tips please let me know!
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

Fun2BFree is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Be11e View Post
    I've just kinda started getting into shape by going to the gym and getting on the elliptical, and on good days I'm doing couch-to-5K training (walking/running intervals.) I am also going to look into smaller 5K/10K local races to participate in throughout the year when possible.
    So, I just ran my first Marathon ever on Sunday at Disney. What a fabulous day! I trained for around four months on and off. I basically took three different training plans and morphed them into a plan that I tried to keep to. It happened to have worked great for me. I was expecting that wall to come, but if it came, it didn't hit me hard enough to feel too tough.

If you are from CT, you may be interested in this one. It's is potentially local for you, and I've heard great things about it.

Long Beach | October 9, 2011
    Click on the Boogie Woogie Bakery Boy to check out my Disney blog:

Kosher Kitchen Kabaret

YES!! Running shoes are imporant!! I went through 4 pair before I found a pair that didn't bother my feet or shins. Now I have a pair for training and another pair for races.

Get wicking socks and clothing. Do not run in cotton t-shirts. If you want to train right do some research first.

Try the gel shots, gu's, blocks...first. Don't let race day be the day you try it.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

kandjad is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Be11e View Post
    I am not a runner, let me just start off with that. But after hearing all about the marathon races at Disney on the podcast for the last couple years, I feel really motivated to run in one. I've made it my New Years resolution to start training to run a race in 2012 (because that is how long it is going to take me.) I'm going to just start with a 1/2 marathon for now and MAYBE in the future work my way up to a full.

I was just wondering what is the best 1/2 marathon to run in for a runner's first 1/2 marathon race at Disney? At first I was thinking marathon weekend in January, but now I wonder if doing the Princess 1/2 marathon would be better?

Any input? Also any tips for training or running at Disney would be great.

Congratulations on taking the first step - deciding to run!!!! Good luck with your training! I did the couch to 5K with much success!! Ibroke my foot this summer and haven't gotten back on the running trails yet. 5th met is a bugger to heal!! I'll be with you in spirit!!

Get good shoes, good socks (I like smartwool athletics), and go at your own pace and you'll be running like the wind!!!!
    It's FALL?!? Already?!?!
    Kate

Be11e is offline C-Ticket Holder

@lorilovestigger, thanks for the tips. My running shoes are pretty old, so I do need to invest in a better pair and break them in. I will definitely buy some race appropriate clothing. I didn't even think about trying those gel shots before hand, I'll have to look into that.
    Next Trip: January 2012
    All-Star Sports for Marathon Weekend
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2004 - Disney Cruise Line, Magic
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

Sonny Eclipse is offline Fastpass Holder

I ran both the 1/2 on marathon weekend and wine and dine in 2010 and I think they both are great races. I did enjoy the fact that the wine/dine was run at night as I'm not a big fan of the early rise for the regular 1/2.

I heard from several people (including lorilovestigger) about the importance of shoes and they were so right. I started training with shoes that caused me pain in my shins and feet and it was awful. Once I went to a running store and received a proper pair of shoes, I was all set and never looked back.

I'm doing either the 1/2 or full in 2012 so hopefully will see you there!

Born 2B Grumpy is offline C-Ticket Holder

Get a sports watch. All you really need is a stop watch function. You can get one at WalMart for around ten bucks.
    ~ MickeyBabe's Better Half

Running Goofy again in 2013!!

laurenjdaisy is offline A-Ticket holder

I am subscribing to this thread because I have the same question. I'm starting to train for a 1/2 marathon (new to running) for sometime late 2012-early 2013 and am having a tough time deciding which one would be best for me (only Disney events are being considered for my first, of course). I'm leaning more towards the princess because of the smaller size versus the WDW 1/2 marathon. I'm afraid the huge scale of the WDW 1/2 will be overwhelming. Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Lauren

Hokeyboy is offline A-Ticket holder

My first Half-Marathon was the WDW 1/2 this past Saturday. I was very nervous about it and trained pretty much for the better part of 11 months (I was in a really terrible fitness level when I started).

You could NOT have asked for a better first Half. I was definitely ready for it, and even though the scale was HUGE, that atmosphere was fun, exciting, inviting, and totally non-intimidating. There wasn't a single part of the run that I wasn't having an absolute BALL enjoying. When you make that first right turn onto Main Street, the early morning sunlight above the castle, rows of spectators cheering you on, stopping to hug your loved ones before moving on, it's one of the most moving experiences you can hope to have.

OK so the hills on the last 2.5 miles or so were a little... "interesting" LOL but I loved them too.

Ask around and find what's best for you, but I so fell in love with the WDW Marathon Weekend that I am *never* missing another one.