Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss runDisney 2013!!! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by disneyrunrchick Have you thought about doing a C25K program? That's how I got started running. It breaks it up into intervals that are pretty easy - 20 ...
    arielfan316 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: runDisney 2013!!!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyrunrchick View Post
    Have you thought about doing a C25K program? That's how I got started running. It breaks it up into intervals that are pretty easy - 20 to 30 seconds of jogging to start usually. I had an app on my phone that told me what to run, but if you Google couch to 5k lots of programs pop up.

Good luck!

I'm going to be training for my first (gulp) marathon!!! I'm nervous and excited at the same time. runDisney does the best races though, so that makes whatever you are running much easier.

Danielle
    Thanks! I'm gonna go look into that right now. Good Luck in training for the marathon
    Visits to Disney:

February 2009: off-site 1 day trip to Epcot and Magic Kingdom

February 2010: All Star Movies 7 days, 6 nights of magic

February 2011: All Star Music 7 days, 6 nights of magic

September 2012: All Star Movies 4 days, 3 nights of magic

March 2013: All Star Movies 3 days, 2 nights of magic

April 2013: Pop Century 3 days, 2 night of magic

(Upcoming) January 2014 6 days, 5 nights of magic

yensid1071 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by arielfan316 View Post
    Great idea! I'm planning on running the 5K in January and need all the advise i can get. I havent done much (if any) running since I left the Navy several years ago
    You won't have a problem in the 5K. My wife and I were in the 5K a few weeks ago and power-walked most of it so we could enjoy the atmosphere and scenery, plus get our pics taken with characters. We did jog a bit and were *far* from the last to finish. However, we've both been in several local 5Ks and were more competitive in them. I'm more of a "wogger" than a runner tho, and am in the races for my health more than competition. I have a goal for my time and try to beat it with each race.

One day I'd like to attempt a half at WDW, but I just don't know when that day will be. BTW, Mrs. yensid doesn't know of this yet, so let's just keep it between us, 'k?
    Jay
    Mahna mahna....

Officially escaped the Box on January 4, 2012!

I have short term memory loss. It runs in the family. Well, at least I *think* it does. Hmmmm... where are they???

Lightyear is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks for the heads up on that program. It looks user friendly and something to start with. Where are you in this training? OR have you started?...still shopping for my first 5K.

-Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on that program. It looks user friendly and something to start with. Where are you in this training? OR have you started?...still shopping for my first 5K.

-Christian
    I'm 4 days into my training. I live about half a mile from the Mississippi River. I picked out a half dozen or so kandmarks right now I run to one, walk to the next, run to the next, etc until I get to the river then the tag a lightpole and start the process agin in the other direction till I get home.
    Visits to Disney:

awesome. Love it. We are having the wierdest winter up here in Minnesota. We have had hardly any snow. People are calling it Marchuary. Clever enough, well long story I have had a few times where I can run outside and I should start doing the landmark to landmark idea. Very clever. Say, I have been trying to figure out what is "The Box" that Lou keeps talking about. I am totally lost on that.

Keep runnin'!
    -Christian

awesome. Love it. We are having the wierdest winter up here in Minnesota. We have had hardly any snow. People are calling it Marchuary. Clever enough, well long story I have had a few times where I can run outside and I should start doing the landmark to landmark idea. Very clever. Say, I have been trying to figure out what is "The Box" that Lou keeps talking about. I am totally lost on that.

Keep runnin'!
    -Christian
    "The box" is the nickname for Lou's laptop he records video on. Also its the chat bar at the UStream page.
    Visits to Disney:

Doing the C25K app. Day 2 of week one. I am running 2 miles within 30 mins available. Hopefully within 8.5 weeks I'll be ready. The program is set up with three workouts per week. I wonder how important it is to stagger the workouts every other day...thoughts? Input?
    Been there, going back, again, and again, and again.

Doing the C25K app. Day 2 of week one. I am running 2 miles within 30 mins available. Hopefully within 8.5 weeks I'll be ready. The program is set up with three workouts per week. I wonder how important it is to stagger the workouts every other day...thoughts? Input?
    I could see that being a plus so that your muscles can heal on your off days
    Visits to Disney:

Good call. It's pretty simple now. Five minute warm up/cool down with a few walk 90 seconds and run 60. But clearly gets longer the more I progress.

Hokeyboy is offline A-Ticket holder

On 1/31/2011 I started Couch-2-5K being a big fat guy completely out of shape.

On 1/7/2012, 65 pounds later, I ran the Disney Half Marathon (my first race) and did it in 2:25.

C25K works and works fantastically. Definitely stagger your workouts and cross-train if you can on off days if you really want to turn up your metabolism.

Oh, and since the Disney Half I've run the ING Miami (took a minute off my time) on 1/29. I have a 5K in two weeks and the Ft. Lauderdale A1A half in three, plus now I'm registered for the Disneyland Half in September, going for Coast-To-Coast! I never want to stop moving ever again! LOL

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

Wow, Hokeyboy! Way to go!!! I totally agree that C25K works; I started with it and just finished my fourth half-marathon. Your weight-loss and running success is awesome.

Lightyear, definitely stagger the days if possible. Otherwise, you could end up with shin splints or even a stress fracture. Rest days are important.

Of course that doesn't mean you have to stay in bed all day with your legs up. Working core muscles will definitely help you as a runner, as will yoga or balance exercises.

Here's a link to Runner's World's cross-training section for runners. It's a good thing to check out if you're looking for something to do on your rest days.

Congrats on getting a good start. Sounds like you are definitely on track to do well in your first 5K!
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!

Hokeyboy is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks DRC I checked out your blog, you seem to be just as passionate with running, if not moreso! I think what's funny about people around me, seeing me get into this, is that they all ask the same thing, "How many of these are you ACTUALLY gonna do?"

They don't seem to understand that running in races is not an endgame. It's a lifestyle, not a destination. I definitely have goals I set for myself -- I want to run the Disneyland in August in less than 2 hours, and I want to try and do the WDW Full Marathon next January -- but the goal itself isn't to run a race, it's to keep racing for life. Or as Dora would put it, to "just keep swimmin'".

My biggest fear is that I'll stop, get lazy, get overweight, and then fall into that depressive cycle of misery that accompanies all that. But as long as I keep running, that will never happen. I just wish I started this earlier in life... but better late than not at all.

Now if I could only condition myself to cool it with the cool accessories...

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

I totally agree. It's amazing how running has changed my life. I never thought I would be so involved, so dedicated to it, but over the past couple years, it has become a part of my identity. And, now, I can't imagine not having another race to run. And I keep finding cooler races to run; it's odd how there's not enough time- or money- to run all of them. It makes me jealous of the people who have been doing it longer- like the perfect 19ers at Disney, even though there's no way I could be one of them.

Somehow, I've managed to **** others in with me. It's cool to know that I am now inspiring others to run as well. And it's fun to have a team to run with.

I think you sum up the fear of every runner who started later than high school and knows what life can be like without feet pounding on the road. I fear some kind of injury, something that won't let me travel the miles of all the awesome routes I've yet to run. I agree, sitting idly and watching everyone run the races without me, would be the worst thing ever and make my life a miserable existence.

As for the accessories, isn't it funny how people say all you need is a good pair of shoes and a safe place to run? They never mention the Spibelts, GPS watches, compression sleeves, socks, Nike shorts, customized shoes, runDisney pins and Vinylnations, or millions of other accessories that are ESSENTIAL to running.
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!

Disneyrunchick - I am really rallying myself to run in the WDW Marathon this up comming year. More so than before when I ran the Twin Cities Marathon (Minnesota). I got myself Runnerworld Magazin (which is pretty cheap) and loads of support and with this blog site full of awesome people already, I am pumped. So much so that today at the gym a Phil Colins song was on my Pandora on the way home and I was visualizing the end of the race and all the music and my friends and fam cheering me on and the way Disney can create such an environment, I got kinda weepy.

Hokeyboy - Thanks for the tip off to C25K. I am in week 2 day 1 and rockin it. I perhaps was not at the same point as you were but it is a program that I can really stay diligent with and I think that THAT will be very important to my path to WDW 2013.

PS did anyone else see that they put a countdown on the WDW site for the next marathon.

Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend presented by CIGNA | runDisney | Amateur Sports | ESPN Wide World of Sports

How can I get that in my signature line????????

I go to a YMCA and they have a pool there. What are some good activities that I could do outside Of running/swimming that I could do to prep myself with? Ideas???

Thanks,
    B. Lightyear
    Aka Christian

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast