Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss runDisney 2013!!! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; First thing that comes to mind is playing Basketball...
    arielfan316 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: runDisney 2013!!!

First thing that comes to mind is playing Basketball
    Visits to Disney:

February 2009: off-site 1 day trip to Epcot and Magic Kingdom

February 2010: All Star Movies 7 days, 6 nights of magic

February 2011: All Star Music 7 days, 6 nights of magic

September 2012: All Star Movies 4 days, 3 nights of magic

March 2013: All Star Movies 3 days, 2 nights of magic

April 2013: Pop Century 3 days, 2 night of magic

(Upcoming) January 2014 6 days, 5 nights of magic

Lightyear is offline A-Ticket holder

Interesting. I really wouldnt have thought of that. What kind of benefits have you seen by playing basketball (other than simpy good excercise)?

Today I signed up for a mini tri-atholon today. A 20 minute run, 20 minute run, and 20 minute ride. I am nervous for the 20 minute swim.

-Christian
    Been there, going back, again, and again, and again.

Basketball works out your legs, as well as hand eye co-ordination
    Visits to Disney:

Hey running team, I found this really neat route finder to help find good routes to run when the weather is good. Hope this helps!!!

The Running Training Log at Runner's World.com Tools: Find Maps

- B. Lightyear

Today I went to a core workout class. I feel as though I have a long road ahead. Has anyone else done core conditioning at the same time? Or does that come with longer durations on the treadmill or on the road?

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

Lightyear,

I've found the more I run, the easier the core classes get. Also, I think the reverse is true: the more core classes I take, the easier my runs get. Abs and other core muscles are super important to running, and when I took a good form class, they recommended cross training with a core routine, so I think this is definitely a good thing to do for your running.

Thanks for the tip about the running log with the routes. That's an awesome tool! I've been getting so bored running long runs through my neighborhood and I'm definitely going to check out some of the routes in my home town.

How's your training going otherwise? Still keeping up with C25K?

I know I'm psyched about Princess next week!!!! It'll be my 6th half! Six! In two years!!!
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!

Disneyrunchick,

I'm glad you like the link. That web site is chalk full of great information. My C25K is rockin!!! I'm currently in my 3rd week and I tried doing a spin(biking) class and a core class which kicked my. Well wanna keep it clean so you know where Im going with this. I signed up for a 5K which will be the week I finish my C25K and hopefully my 5k time will rock.

I feel as though my training is behind though with little more than 300 days left. Buuuut Because I tanked my first marathon with a barely finish time of 5:56:55 I really wanna master WDW's. What is your goal for your upcomming princess run? Are you gonna do anything outside your normal routine? Also, do you train with any Gatorade gels or energy things while you run??? I've heard they can be helpful if you train while using them. Have you heard anything?

Thanks and have a magical day!!!

-Lightyear

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

My goal for the Princess is to finish around 2:15. I've hit 2:15 at a recent half and 2:18 at another colder, nastier course, but my Disney times are 2:22, 2:21, and 2:20, in that order. I always stop for one picture, so I have to count time for that, but I'd still like to hit the the 2:teens mark.

Congrats on your training! Sounds like it's going well and the cross training is awesome! Definitely keep us up on your 5k. Do you have a goal for it? Is it your first one? Will anyone be running with you?

Wow! Just the fact that you've finished a marathon impresses me. Why do you feel behind? I know how easy it is to feel like you should be hopping out of bed and running 10, 15, or 20 miles today, but it sounds like you're right on track. The app I use to plan for my runs has me in "pre-training" for several more months. I'm even cheating by doubling my long runs with all these half marathons!

It's only been two months since my last Disney race, so in between I've really focused on long runs and sprints to work on my time. I'm lucky in that Georgia is much hillier than Florida, so I get a boost in speed when I train outside here, but with the cold I have been logging some major treadmill hours. I'm wondering how that will affect me.

I have only started delving into the world of gels and shot bloks. My half training runs only go up to 10-miles, so I'm okay as long as I've ate before I run. However, I know for the marathon training I'll need something for those 15+ long runs. The thing with shot blokes and gels is you have to get enough water with them; old school runners use skittles, which do the same thing without the possible adverse reactions. I've used them in a few runs; though I need to work on the timing and portion, they do provide a great burst of energy, so I'll probably stick with them. If you are trying to decide on one to use, I'd find out what Disney was using and train with that. For the past few halves, it's been Clif gels, but before that it was shot bloks, so I'd see if it's listed on the website.
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!

Hokeyboy is offline A-Ticket holder

Anyone else doing the Disneyland Half? That's my big trip for the summer (and the 2nd leg of my Coast-To-Coast ambitions). My goal was 2:15 but I recently did that in the Ft. Lauderdale A1A Half, so I'm thinking try for 2:00? Or is that too ambitious too quickly?

RE gels: I take a GU 15 minutes before and every 45 minutes during long (>6 mile) runs. That's probably overkill but as long as I hydrate enough I'm always good for energy.

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Just realized that the weekend after cruise 2.0 is the Wine and Dine half marathon! I just started my couch to 5K program today.... would be fun to do the relay for the half with DH and go to the wine and dine party after the run!
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!

Danielle,

I did my first marathon about eight years ago and one thing I regretted the most was only training up to about 19 miles so when I hit the wall, OH BOY. I hit it hard and so this time around I'm gonna train to...well I'm not sure this time. But at least I know where I hit the wall last time. I am training in Minnesota so it's cold here now, so a lot of treadmill work being done. But combined with core workouts, it works for now. Happy running!!

Christian

bradisgoofy is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi all: My wife and I are thinking of doing the Expedition Everest 5k in May 2013. We are not runners because of leg and knee trouble. How long do you have to complete a 5k before getting swept? I've heard people will stop to ride Everest several times and still finish in time so I'm hoping if we walk nonstop we can complete it in time.

BTW, our son and DDL did this event in 2010 so we hope they will join us for this one.

Thank you.
    Brad is because he listens/watches the WDWradio newscast on a Sprint EVO in a frontend loader at work. * aka brad49201 on the WDWradio Newscast chat * WDW visit on Honeymoon 8/73 * Off sight - 4/1982 * CBR - 4/1995 * Dixie Landings (now Riverside) - 4/1999 * FW Cabins 4/2000 * DVC Membership ( BWV ) - 4/2000 * VWL - 4/2001 * OKW - 4/2002 * BWV - 4/2003 * BWV - 4/2004 * FW ( in our Fifth Wheel ) - 4/2005 * BWV - 3/2006 then Disney Wonder 3 day Cruise - 3/30/06 then back to BWV - 4/2006 * FW ( in our new MOTORCOACH ) - 4/2007 * BWV & FW - 4/2008 Magical Gathering * SSR - 10/2008 MNSSHP * BCV - 3/2009 * BWV - 11/09 (MVMCP 11-10-09) * Back to FW - 5/2010 & bought BLT * OKW 11/2010 * Second cruise on the Wonder 11/7/10 * MVMCP 11/11/10 * BLT 5/11 * BWV 12/11 * BLT 5/12

Quote Originally Posted by bradisgoofy View Post
    Hi all: My wife and I are thinking of doing the Expedition Everest 5k in May 2013. We are not runners because of leg and knee trouble. How long do you have to complete a 5k before getting swept? I've heard people will stop to ride Everest several times and still finish in time so I'm hoping if we walk nonstop we can complete it in time.

BTW, our son and DDL did this event in 2010 so we hope they will join us for this one.

Thank you.
    I think for 5Ks that there is no sweeper bus
    Visits to Disney:

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

no sweeper bus? then I'm in!!!
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!

No sweepers for the 5k BUT if you are taking too long they will make you get your butt in gear. Don't plan on stopping at every character unless you plan on running and have the time to spare.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast