Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss runDisney 2013!!! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by bradisgoofy Hi all: My wife and I are thinking of doing the Expedition Everest 5k in May 2013. We are not runners because of leg and knee ...

Re: runDisney 2013!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bradisgoofy View Post
    Hi all: My wife and I are thinking of doing the Expedition Everest 5k in May 2013. We are not runners because of leg and knee trouble. How long do you have to complete a 5k before getting swept? I've heard people will stop to ride Everest several times and still finish in time so I'm hoping if we walk nonstop we can complete it in time.

BTW, our son and DDL did this event in 2010 so we hope they will join us for this one.

Thank you.
    Since the event starts in many waves you could be ok. I'm thinking most couples start at the end. When I did it I signed up as an individual and was in the first wave with a friend that signed up before me. Honestly, I think if you sign up in singles you get better placement to start. If you are in the last wave they may tell you to move along faster. Technically you end up do more than a 5k. By the time you hit the 3 mile marker you have to walk to the back of the parking lot to do the obstacles then all the way back into the park for the scavenger hunt then through the park again. Guessing I think you log at least 5 miles total.

Just keep that in mind if you have health issues. You may be better off doing a regular 5k.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Lightyear is offline A-Ticket holder

Well, only about 5 more weeks till my 5K. I am on track with my C25K program. It is getting pretty exciting!!! I dont think I will need them for a 5K, but I was curious as to if people who run the larger distances are using....well or what are they using to replenish their bodies on the run. I have been talking to some people and some say the shot-blocks, some to the Gatorade Goo. What do you all think about these products. How do you help your body on the long runs and during your marathons, half, etc. and more importantly WHY??? PS did anyone go to the extra day of disney for 24 hours? Or how long were you there for? From what Lou said about it, it sounds like a lot of fun. I would have tried for 24 hours myself. Have a Magical Day!!!
    Been there, going back, again, and again, and again.

I read in my Runners World mag that registration for WDW everything begins April 10!!!!!!

Yes registration opens April 10th. Also in Runner's World it says there will be a relay for Wine and Dine and in January. As far as I know, no relays are being planned. The info is not correct.

Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder

Hi y'all! I haven't had time to read the entire thread but I wanted to post something to say hi and to subscribe. I'm doing my first ever half-marathon at the Wine & Dine this year. I could probably be ready for a half before that and I thought about the ToT 10 miler, but I wanna do the half first and I won't do it anywhere else. I'm saving myself for Mickey! ;-) Looking forward to learning from y'all more experienced runners.
    Hypermommy

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Well, only about 5 more weeks till my 5K. I am on track with my C25K program. It is getting pretty exciting!!! I dont think I will need them for a 5K, but I was curious as to if people who run the larger distances are using....well or what are they using to replenish their bodies on the run. I have been talking to some people and some say the shot-blocks, some to the Gatorade Goo. What do you all think about these products. How do you help your body on the long runs and during your marathons, half, etc. and more importantly WHY??? PS did anyone go to the extra day of disney for 24 hours? Or how long were you there for? From what Lou said about it, it sounds like a lot of fun. I would have tried for 24 hours myself. Have a Magical Day!!!
    I don't like shot blocks, gu or anything like that. It's a texture thing. Very thick. I like Sportsbeans and Powerbars. Best thing to do is get one and try it first. Some people that don't try them ahead of time and do it the day of the race end up sick.

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

I am a big fan of shot blocks. I usually get the ones with caffeine even though they are not usually recommended by avid runners because caffeine by nature is a diuretic, and your body needs to make good use of all of its resources in an endurance event. But I feel it gives me a good boost, just drink a little extra water.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    As far as why you would want to use the products I am no expert but, as you exert yourself your body uses up the fuel you have put into your body (food) and one of the major things that become depleted are carbohydrates (sugar) so as you continue to run your blood sugar levels drop and you in turn get tired. So taking any sort of carb while running long distances is a very good idea.

This same concept can be applied to how diabetics react to their insulin. As they exercise, the body breaks down a greater amount of sugar in the blood stream so their regular dose of insulin is not needed but instead a smaller dose or none at all in some cases. This is what makes diabetes a fairly manageable disease in some cases. Now that I got that terribly unnecessary rant out of the way...

Your body also becomes depleted of electrolytes, which can be essentially called salt. That is the revolutionary ingredient in gatorade lol.

I usually take shot blocks every 3 or 4 miles, and I take 2 to 3 at a time.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

Lori - Are the sports beans the Jelly Belly ones? If so, do they have Jelly Belly flavors.

Super Mario - Thank you! Really informational.

Hypermommie - Welcome. There are great answers for all kinds of runners in this forum. Some are obviously more experienced, however this is a great forum to be a part of.

Room - So lets talk sneakers. I will need to get a pair of good ones. I know it ultimately will be what fits my foot best. But with all the brands and tread patterns out there. Have any of you experienced good vs bad shoes? And why? Thanks team WDW!! Happy running!!

Yes they are by Jelly Bellys but not the fun flavors. Fruit punch, lime, blue raspberry, orange and a variety pack.

As far as shoes go the best thing to do is go to a good running store that knows what they are talking about. They should have you try them on and run down the road or somewhere so you can see how they feel and they can see your gate and how your foot strikes. I went thru 3 pairs and lots of $$ before finding a pair that I liked that didn't cause shin pain.
    Just because one person swears by Nike doesn't mean you'll like them.

I also wonder. Is anyone on Nike+ or Nike+GPS? I got this app and have no running friends to play "tag" with (tag the person who ran last, who's not putting in their miles, etc. ). If you do have it, let's sync up and play. Essentially it's another way to help progress motivation. Anyone interested?

Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder

Sounds like it could be a fun app. Do you know if there's an Android version? Is it free?
    Hypermommy

I cannot say for sure if there is an Android App for it. The Nike plus one is free, however the Nike+GPS is just 1.99 and I also hate paying any amount for apps, but totally worth this one. I just did a quick google for it. You could check out http://www.androidzoom.com/android_a...plus_pvmz.html
    not sure if that'll work, but you could give it a shot. But you may want to do more research.

What are ya'll doing to stay motivated???
    I gotta tell you (living in Minnesota) 80 degrees in March is totally motivating...it feels a li'l like Orlando:-)

arielfan316 is offline D-Ticket Holder

I managed to get my dad to agree to train with me, so having someone to train with keeps me motivated
    Visits to Disney:

February 2009: off-site 1 day trip to Epcot and Magic Kingdom

February 2010: All Star Movies 7 days, 6 nights of magic

February 2011: All Star Music 7 days, 6 nights of magic

September 2012: All Star Movies 4 days, 3 nights of magic

March 2013: All Star Movies 3 days, 2 nights of magic

April 2013: Pop Century 3 days, 2 night of magic

(Upcoming) January 2014 6 days, 5 nights of magic

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast