Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss runDisney 2013!!! in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by Lightyear I cannot say for sure if there is an Android App for it. The Nike plus one is free, however the Nike+GPS is just 1.99 and ...
    Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: runDisney 2013!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I cannot say for sure if there is an Android App for it. The Nike plus one is free, however the Nike+GPS is just 1.99 and I also hate paying any amount for apps, but totally worth this one. I just did a quick google for it. You could check out http://www.androidzoom.com/android_a...plus_pvmz.html
    not sure if that'll work, but you could give it a shot. But you may want to do more research.
    I couldn't find it on the Android Marketplace and I wasn't encouraged by the reviews on the link. But I'll keep checking. I noticed on the link that he says it's the alpha version anyway. Maybe in a few weeks/months he'll get through beta testing and have the app ready for "public consumption". Thanks for the idea! I'll keep checking back.

And in the meantime, while looking for that I found something called RunTempo. It apparently modifies the songs on your playlist so they all play at the same beats per minute. As much as my music helps when I run, that sounds like it's gonna be very useful. The free version only allows 10 min of music to be played per day but I went ahead and downloaded it anyway so I could check it out. If it does what it's supposed to, this might be the first app I actually pay for!

Thanks again! I do appreciate the suggestion. It sounds like fun, but I just don't want to put a beta app on my phone. If something goes wrong with my phone (yeah, I'm a worrywart) I'd be soooooo lost. ;-)
    Hypermommy

I have Nike + on my Itouch that I run with. Sadly I can't seem to find my sneakers with my chip on it. I had them in January because I wore them for the relay. Seems odd that I can't find them. I don't think I left them in WDW. Oh well, still no running for months anyways since I still need to recover from foot surgery.

I think there is MapMyRun for Androids. People seem to like it.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Lightyear is offline A-Ticket holder

Friday and Monday I ran 5Ks. My two runs were 3.26 miles at 30:14 and 3.27 at 30:22. I felt pretty proud of myself! I have a 5K run in a couple of weeks and I am feeling really good!!!
    Been there, going back, again, and again, and again.

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

Hey all,
    Sorry I've been out of the loop for a bit. My Princess run, well, I wasn't too happy with myself. I did about a 2:21 or so, but I'd been hitting 2:15 and 2:18 at other halves. Don't know what it is about Disney, maybe the picture stop.

However, I did get to run through the Magic Kingdom with my best friend, which was pretty cool. And I met lots of WDW Radio Running Team members. I have to say they are super nice, and if you haven't considered joining, it's so worth it. Super great bunch of people and totally fun to have someone to meet up with before the race.

Since getting back, I've mixed up my training. I'm now running about five days a week, though my runs are much shorter than when I was doing just three or four days. The good news is I set a new 5k PR: 27:34, which put me 25 seconds from second place in my age division. I'm running another one this weekend. Here's hoping I have a chance at placing!!!

I'm getting ready for Everest, which I have already made all our dining plans for and can't wait. We're surprising the kiddos with lunch with an animal tamer at Sanaa!!! It'll be my first runDisney race with the kids, and they're psyched, too. They're both training as well, with my son doing the C25K program.

Hope everyone is having good time training in this awesome spring weather. Can't say how glad I am that spring is FINALLY here, even if we didn't have much of a winter here in Georgia.

Keep up the good work, everyone! Oh, and have a magical day!
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!

Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post
    I think there is MapMyRun for Androids. People seem to like it.
    Thanks! Maybe Ill try it out. Ive been using RunKeeper and like it a lot. But the idea of being able to play games with folks on here is quite intriguing.
    Hypermommy

JavaPuppy is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by disneyrunrchick View Post
    Hey all,
    Sorry I've been out of the loop for a bit. My Princess run, well, I wasn't too happy with myself. I did about a 2:21 or so, but I'd been hitting 2:15 and 2:18 at other halves. Don't know what it is about Disney, maybe the picture stop.
    I hope you'll cheer up about your Princess run...it certainly sounds as if you had a great time; only the clock bummed you out.

There are so many things that can affect your finish time in a Half or Full Marathon, many of them totally out of your control, that I hate to see folks get so "Clock Oriented".

Had I been there at the Finish Line, I would have asked you one simple question --> Tell me, without looking at the clock or your watch, did you do the best you could do TODAY?

That's all that anyone can ever ask of you as a runner - did you give your best? If you know in your heart that you did, you should celebrate it...not let the clock tell you otherwise...

I look forward to asking you that question at a future Disney Endurance Event! Good luck with your continued training (and let me know if there's anything I can do to help)!!!
    Dream Big Dream Team-ers!

Hap!

Happy Keller
    WDW Radio Running Team 'Coach'
    wdwradiorun@gmail.com

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

Smile Re: runDisney 2013!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JavaPuppy View Post
    Had I been there at the Finish Line, I would have asked you one simple question --> Tell me, without looking at the clock or your watch, did you do the best you could do TODAY?
    Happy,

I think that was part of my thing, that I didn't feel like I did my best because I wasn't as ready as I should have been. I came home and completely restarted my training program, in part to help me train for my first full in January (Yay for Mickey 2013!), but also to wipe the board clean and give myself a chance to rebuild. It's working, too! I've had new 5K PRs and lost 10 pounds, but most importantly, I'm really enjoying running again, and that's something I'd lost in my quest for a good time.

I'm very excited about Everest, it being my kiddos first Disney race. I'm also excited because it's a 5K, and so we are really going to have time just to enjoy the parks. Plus, my training is going so well and I've really rekindled the spark that first pushed me to do a half!

Thank you so much for the support and advice. I keep up with you on Facebook, and your Ironman training is very inspiring! I know you'll do great in Texas.
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!

Hokeyboy is offline A-Ticket holder

I came home and completely restarted my training program, in part to help me train for my first full in January (Yay for Mickey 2013!)
    DRC,

I plan on running my first Full at the Mickey 2013 as well! I find the prospect of it both daunting and exciting... running a Half is no small feat by any stretch, but it's still "only" 13 miles. Psychologically it seems like a reasonable, manageable distance. But at the end of every Half I'm pretty much spent; the thought of turning around and running another seems like country-fried insanity.

That said, the ONLY time I've ever wanted to "keep running and not stop"... was during the 2012 Disney Half. Mostly because of the atmosphere, being in the parks, the happy faces on both the runners and spectators, the entertainment. I didn't want it to end! But I know I'm going to have to train pretty hard and continuously in order to make it a reality... are you following a specific plan? The Galloway plan helped me get through the Half, so I'm definitely thinking about continuing it for the Full (although I don't follow it rigidly anymore; I generally follow the "run for a mile, walk for a minute" method now, and it seems to do the trick).

There's still so much to look forward to this year, both as a runner and as a Disney nerd. I'm registered for the Disneyland Half (my goal is just under 2 hours) and the Tower of Terror 10m; I'd love to do the Wine & Dine too but the Fort Lauderdale 13.1 is the same weekend. I'll just have to hit F&W as a foodie instead...

I think that was part of my thing, that I didn't feel like I did my best because I wasn't as ready as I should have been. I came home and completely restarted my training program, in part to help me train for my first full in January (Yay for Mickey 2013!), but also to wipe the board clean and give myself a chance to rebuild. It's working, too! I've had new 5K PRs and lost 10 pounds, but most importantly, I'm really enjoying running again, and that's something I'd lost in my quest for a good time.

I'm very excited about Everest, it being my kiddos first Disney race. I'm also excited because it's a 5K, and so we are really going to have time just to enjoy the parks. Plus, my training is going so well and I've really rekindled the spark that first pushed me to do a half!.
    It sounds like your increased focus is having major health & speed benefits for you...great job!!!

Have a blast doing Everest (and don't let the Yeti catch you)!

(and if you want/need any advice or a training schedule, please don't hesitate to write to me directly)

Hap!

Happy Keller
    wdwradiorun@gmail.com

Hey all. Sorry I have been away. I missed my Disney Running Club. I have been super busy lately. But I am back on track and I actually have my first 5K this Saturday. I have been running 5Ks at about 24-25 mins. I shaved off about 5 minutes since I started and I am super pumped. I picked up my packet today and everything. I always feel as though when you get your shirt before the run, the rest is all for show. I got my prize of a t-shirt. The rest is pomp and circumstance (there is no medal at this local 5K).BUT it'll be fun to have an official 5K down and my track to 10K, 10mile, half and full (woo hoo) is on the way. Something I really worked on these last couple of weeks was controling my breathing. I thought that it helped keep my body from hyper-ventalating and loosing breath too often. What about you all? Do you ever try your best at keeping a good rhythm of breath? Is this something you think about? -OR- are you all just cra-zay runners that are already awesome? Anywho keep your nose to the grindstone. Sign-ups start this Tuesday for runDisney2013!!!

Happy Running,
    Christian

SAFETY
    Hey team!!! I am looking at jogging safety when vounerable on the road. I recently bought some tape, but I think that is something that is not a good solid answer. I am not intending to run a lot at night, but if I go for a dusk run, I will want to protect myself. Has anyone ever gone any different route? bought jackets? bought belts? What is your input?

-Christian

I've talked to other people about the importance of controlling breathing but that doesn't seem to be the thing for me. Maybe I'm just lucky and my breathing controls itself, I don't know. But the thing that keeps me going the most is my music. If the music is the right tempo then I can kind of get lost in it and the beat keeps my feet moving at the right pace.

Please understand I don't mean to be argumentative. This is just what works for me.

And yes, I know exactly what you mean about the t-shirt. That's when it's really, really, real, right? ;-)

Hey all. Sorry I have been away. I missed my Disney Running Club. I have been super busy lately. But I am back on track and I actually have my first 5K this Saturday. I have been running 5Ks at about 24-25 mins. I shaved off about 5 minutes since I started and I am super pumped. I picked up my packet today and everything. I always feel as though when you get your shirt before the run, the rest is all for show. I got my prize of a t-shirt. The rest is pomp and circumstance (there is no medal at this local 5K).BUT it'll be fun to have an official 5K down and my track to 10K, 10mile, half and full (woo hoo) is on the way. Something I really worked on these last couple of weeks was controling my breathing. I thought that it helped keep my body from hyper-ventalating and loosing breath too often. What about you all? Do you ever try your best at keeping a good rhythm of breath? Is this something you think about? -OR- are you all just cra-zay runners that are already awesome? Anywho keep your nose to the grindstone. Sign-ups start this Tuesday for runDisney2013!!!

Happy Running,
    Christian
    Hypermommy

SAFETY
    Hey team!!! I am looking at jogging safety when vounerable on the road. I recently bought some tape, but I think that is something that is not a good solid answer. I am not intending to run a lot at night, but if I go for a dusk run, I will want to protect myself. Has anyone ever gone any different route? bought jackets? bought belts? What is your input?
    Hi Christian,

I wear a headlight, and a reflective vest for running at night. I also have a reflective jacket for when the weather is cool/cold. I can get you discounts on some of this stuff from FuelBelt. Their headlights / reflective gear can be found HERE.

It can never be a "good run" if you don't come home safely!

Hap!

Happy Keller
    wdwradiorun@gmail.com

Best of luck at your first 5K this weekend!!! One bit of advice --> Don't go out "too fast"!

As far as your breathing goes, you really don't want to run so hard (except, maybe, for a "sprint to the Finish Line") where you get out of breath. While many people do run "harder" during an event, during your training your pace should be such that you can carry on a conversation with someone running next to you without being out of breath ("conversational pace"). If you want to check if you are accomplishing this, and you don't have anyone to talk to, just run while breathing in-and-out through your nose only. If you can do that, you are running at a sustainable "aerobic" running pace.

I also highly recommend utilizing Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk system for training + events. It is, in my opinion, the best way to train & complete an endurance event without getting injured. He has tips all over the runDisney site; here also is a link directly to his website with some useful information & tools (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html).

If you have any other running, equipment, or training questions --> please feel free to e-mail me directly at wdwradiorun@gmail.com!

Hap!

Happy Keller
    wdwradiorun@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hypermommy View Post
    I couldn't find it on the Android Marketplace and I wasn't encouraged by the reviews on the link. But I'll keep checking. I noticed on the link that he says it's the alpha version anyway. Maybe in a few weeks/months he'll get through beta testing and have the app ready for "public consumption".

I use Cardio Trainer on my Android phone. It integrates with your music and GPS. It also allows you to post your workouts to Facebook & Twitter if you so desire. It will also talk to you during your workouts giving you pace & distance information if you want it.

Hap!

Happy Keller
    wdwradiorun@gmail.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast