Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 101 of 159 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2372
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss "The Virtual DWT Gym" in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; HELLO KITTY! Hope you like your new home. Kitty's a 12-kilo? Looks like a pretty good 'bell. All I'd warn you about is with the appearance of the blue finish, ...
    Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    HELLO KITTY! Hope you like your new home.

Kitty's a 12-kilo? Looks like a pretty good 'bell. All I'd warn you about is with the appearance of the blue finish, she might become a bit slick as the reps get nice and high, so do your best to keep your hands dry--a little bit of chalk will make all the difference.

I figure you're probably rearin' to go with a workout, so give this link a good long study for me:

YouTube - Swing - Lisa Shaffer - Kettlebell Basics

Lisa Shaffer is very, very good at what she does. Learn the basic swing, and do it. A lot. I can give you some sample workouts if you'd like, but for right now, just do as many swings at a time as you like; until you're convinced you're a better person for the efforts. I think you'll be amazed at just how much this one will work you, especially during that very first session. This simple drill is more effective than any cardio machine you're going to find, and has unbelievable carryover to so many physical endeavors.

Once you've mastered that one, check this one out if you're game:

YouTube - 1 Arm Kettlebell Swing

Both these gals have their form dead on--watch, study, scrutinize. I'm counting on you to get that technique down pat for me (since I can't be there to yell at you myself).

Fiona, I'm very, very pleased that you made the investment. Now, get to work, get the results you're looking for, and then don't EVER look back again.

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    Yes, Kitty is 12kg.
    I had found the Lisa Shaffer clip on YouTube last night, i liked the way it listed which muscle groups each move work on. The other clip has now been watched and bookmarked too.
    Last night I managed to do 10 swings about 4 or 5 times, watching the clips it between to check what i was doing. The only problem point i had was shooting pain through my right knee as i bent each time, but thats to be expected coz of a very old injury, so it was ignored!! LOL

The garage gym is almost complete now, just one drive to Chris's parents to collect his old stuff and everything will be together. As far as equipment goes we will have, a weights bench with bar & 2 dumbells, an angled sit up bench, punch bag, exercise bike & rowing machine (donated by family last week), 2 skipping ropes, a thing you squeeze between your thighs (no idea what its called) and Kitty. And I'm sure Jake will say all we need is a KB, but its still an improvement on the membership price Chris way paying at the local gym, and its a good motivator having it all so close and permanently set up.
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer13 View Post
    Say hello to the newest member of the DWT gym family, KITTY !

(as named by Caroline)
    Kitty is home! Yay! He looks awesome and he looks HEAVY!. You are starting with a heavier bell than I did, whoa! Then again, you are probably in much better shape than I was when I started. Start taking care of your hands right away, I am nursing a torn callous and it kinda hurts. While I am in the big apple I will see if I can find some thin gloves so that I can get back to work when I get home.

By the way, if anyone is wondering why I suggested Kitty, it's a Monsters Inc. reference.

Fiona, I'm fairly confident that soon enough, you'll be the one passing along the wisdom of what a home gym does and doesn't require. Still, there's "need" and then there are things that are just nice to have, if they're available. Most of the things you've got down there are real good to have handy, especially the ropes and the weights (if you get a sec, would you elaborate a little more on the bench and the bar?). A quality rowing machine is something that the folks at CrossFit (Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness) make fairly extensive use of, and from the Brit soldiers I've known, rowing to them is like baseball to yanks--a couple years ago, I was asked by some of the pongos I was working with to be on their team for a "race down the Thames;" a marathon event on a rower. I don't remember what they figured the exact distance was, but I do remember that it definitely took it out of us.

Now I get the "Kitty" reference. Come to think of it, if they come in Skittle green, it wouldn't take much to put a large eyeball on one and call it "Mike."

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    (if you get a sec, would you elaborate a little more on the bench and the bar?)
    I'll get some photos once we get the stuff all set up.

Kitty is turning out to be good fun, i wouldnt dare say I've been doing any structured sets (or reps or whatever i'm supposed to call them) yet, but i think i'm getting the hang of things.
    Now all i need to stop Alex trying to lift it!
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    You are starting with a heavier bell than I did, whoa! Then again, you are probably in much better shape than I was when I started.
    Please dont be impressed, its the lightest one the company sold . I was trying to find a 2kg KB, but nowhere seems to make them
    x FIONA x

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I am still impressed, nice try! Spent all day and night walking around Manhattan, that is one huge city! Here is just one pic, love this fountain! I will upload some more and talk more about my little trip soon.

that looks amazing
    x FIONA x

Why oh why oh why am I such a push-over as a mother? The kids have just been bought something for the garage....

I figured if they are so keen to be keeping fit, i should encourage them now, not regret it later
    x FIONA x

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Awesome pic, Caroline!

That's so cute, Mum!

Now....I am very upset with myself. I haven't ran in 3 DAYS. Ugh, very very mad at myself. I've kept working out, just not as much as I would have liked to. Soccer starts NEXT WEEK, and I am very nervous. I know for a fact that I can run at least 35 minutes, but I still wish that I was in better shape. 35 minutes is NOT A LOT at all, so I am hoping to push myself this week. I am debating on how hard to push myself, because I don't want to come upon any injuries. I really should be using my KB more than I do...so need to get on that. (I'm sorrrryyyy!)

I'm nervous about soccer. New head coach, new girls coming in from different towns to try out, more experienced girls.....ahhh. I have been working on my soccer skills also (Control, balance, speed, endurance), I finally have hips to get infront of the ball and to knock girls down, so we'll see. I am nervous like usual, and am still working out....

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Stay confident Bri, everone will be nervous, i have faith in you x

Managed about 75 swings last night, not a huge number but it was more to try and get the technique right, definitly getting the hang of it now. Can feel the muscles working already.
    x FIONA x

A three day break from the road may well be exactly what the doc ordered, though. Hard running is notoriously rough on the legs, even for track veterans when they're pushing themselves. As you've already alluded to (and I'll hammer home), right before the season begins ain't the time to run yourself until you break. If you feel as though you absolutely have to get out there and move those sneakered feet, don't feel badly about only running for 30 minutes. Instead, focus on moving faster and covering more ground in that half hour than you have in the past. As exercise science marches on, more and more sports medicine folks are getting behind the idea that cardiovascular training is genuinely MUCH more effective in shorter, more intensive sessions than in longer ones at the usual moderate pace.

One suggestion I'd make to show you what I mean would be to see how many times you can snatch the 'bell in ten minutes without putting it down, passing hands as often as you'd like (the only "rest" you may take is the overhead, arm locked out position). Doesn't sound like much, but I promise you, you will probably wish you were dead around the three minute mark. And if you don't, it's definitely time for you to move on up to the next size KB (the last time I did this one to myself, after walking/staggering around for a moment and breathing like a civilized person again, I checked my pulse and had worked myself up to 210+ BPM--keep in mind that according to modern exercise tables, 195 is supposed to be the "maximum" heart rate for a boy my age. Once again, do you suppose maybe the Russians were definitely onto something here?).

Cardiologist Dr. Al Sears, MD; explains it as a need to train the body to respond more quickly by upping the pace of exercise SOONER in each session. Not starting full throttle, but gradually increasing the demands sooner, and improving how quickly you can respond. This is the natural state of it all. Hunter or hunted, animals must be able to get themselves up to 100% in the blink of an eye--most of us human beings have sort of lost this skill. In addition, this is also considered THE single best way to be ready for, and to avoid the kind of abrupt demands on your system that cause heart attacks.

Fiona, paint that thing black, and all is forgiven here.
    Last edited by Conceited Ape; 08-10-2007 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Typos.......why'd it HAVE to be typos?

Fiona, paint that thing black, and all is forgiven here.
    You're only jealous, you wish you were a five year old with a bright exercise bench
    Maybe Alex will let you share if you ever visit us
    x FIONA x

A three day break from the road may well be exactly what the doc ordered, though. Hard running is notoriously rough on the legs, even for track veterans when they're pushing themselves. As you've already alluded to (and I'll hammer home), right before the season begins ain't the time to run yourself until you break. If you feel as though you absolutely have to get out there and move those sneakered feet, don't feel badly about only running for 30 minutes. Instead, focus on moving faster and covering more ground in that half hour than you have in the past. As exercise science marches on, more and more sports medicine folks are getting behind the idea that cardiovascular training is genuinely MUCH more effective in shorter, more intensive sessions than in longer ones are the usual moderate pace.
    Thanks, Jake. I did that the last time I ran, and then practiced some soccer, I defintely felt the difference. I just wish I was at my "track in shape", where I could run for an hour and keep running. Thank you for all of the advice.

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer13 View Post
    Stay confident Bri, everone will be nervous, i have faith in you x

Managed about 75 swings last night, not a huge number but it was more to try and get the technique right, definitly getting the hang of it now. Can feel the muscles working already.
    Thanks, Mum. And way to go!!

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT