Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 105 of 159 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 2372
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss "The Virtual DWT Gym" in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Again, it was tempting, but as long as Dragon Door makes American, that's where I'll do the iron shopping. To answer the question on weighted pullups, every Monday for the ...
    Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Again, it was tempting, but as long as Dragon Door makes American, that's where I'll do the iron shopping.

To answer the question on weighted pullups, every Monday for the past couple weeks I've been having the guys hit the bars before we do anything else, and have them give their best effort in one set. As soon as they can top ten good ones, that's when I start adding weight to them--enough to bring them down to the 5-8 range (as a guideline, a 12kg KB tends to do the job nicely). The first phase of Tuesday morning PT is a pullup ladder with a partner. This is another one of Pavel's concepts that we've been having a lot of success with. First guy does a pullup, then his buddy does one. Then the first guy does two. And so on and so forth, all the way up the ladder, until one of the two can't keep up anymore (or I call start over--most days, we get as high as five or six. This added weight should help the stronger dudes get their money's worth). The only downtime we get is however long it takes the other guy to do theirs, and this pace and rep scheme gets results--the event that seems to snag a lot of guys on the PFT are those weighted pulls. Next test cycle, I don't want anyone to be in the low category.

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    These guys sound like they are in amazing shape(I don't know why I was questioning that). The partner pullups sound like the best thing because the team could push eachother, too. I doubt anybody will be in the "low category" next time.

Raining so right now I am thinking about using the KB instead of running....

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    We took the boys swimming Sunday afternoon. 3 lanes were roped off for lengths which was a huge bonus. I'm not sure if its the KB use, but kicking (with breaststroke especially) felt a lot stronger, but i can feel i've lost some cardio fitness from the lack of swimming these last few weeks.
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

Day....5!

We started off with 7 Olympic runs. Sprint down field, jog back =1 (had to sprint down the field in 25 seconds, and whatever time is remaining out of the one minute is your break) I stayed consistent and up from with 13s and 12s!

We then did a box drill, where you have to stay in the coned off box and pass with two touch and move FAST. Then we did one touch..then counterclockwise..etc. Then we kept with the box drill, but you had to pass the girl the ball, run around her and pass her the ball that she passes off to you. We kept doing similar box drills.(My passes were awesome, messed up once, but got right back on track)

We then did some three on three. My team had great footwork, and we worked together well. We did 3 on 3 for a while.

Then we had three teams, blue, yellow/orange, and white. One team would be on defense and the rest offense(so the rest worked together) If the blue team starts with the ball, but then the yellow takes it away, the blue team is then defense...and so on.

We then did 25 minutes worth of Partner suicides. Sprint to the first line three time, second like n number of times, fifth line etc. It did not have to go in order and the coach decided how many times to go to each line. She then did partner things with the suicides-piggybacks, wheelbarrows..etc. In no way do I mean to be mean, but my partner was the heaviest girl there, and she knew it too(she only plays goalie, so I guess that's why) So, I got a workout with that too.

I was sooo happy with how I did, especially since my parnter(Who was truly working her hardest, so kudos to her) kept coming in last, so I picked up the pace and passed at leat three girls at the end(The goal I set since we were so far behind)

They are now telling us that only the FIRST cuts will be tomorrow. And Wed or Thurs we will find out if we make the team.

So nervous, anticipation!
    Last edited by disney fanatic; 08-20-2007 at 12:32 PM.

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Ladies, here's a good one. Read and apply.

Pullup Training for Women: A Bodyweight Strength Training article from Dragon Door Publications

While I'm at it, and if you've got the time, this is my kind of gal--

The Need to Train Like A Man, Especially if you are a Woman: A Kettlebell Training article from Dragon Door Publications

Tomorrow is going to be a rough one for the guys. We're on our way to the tire dump at the motor pool for some sledge hammer work. If you've never tried it, a minute or two of continuous overhead swings with a 16-pound hammer onto a semi tire will truly separate the rock stars from the groupies.
    Last edited by Conceited Ape; 08-21-2007 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Added one more.

Day 6! (we ended practice early--Pouring and thunder)

I LOVE playing soccer in the rain, but it only came down harder and colder as the practice went on. We did 1 vs 1 FULL field, and I scored twice.

We then did some drills.

Then onto circle drill. Three defenders in middle trying to get the ball as we pass it to the other people on offense.

Then did some defense work. Long balls, one touches, two touches.

Then ran 8 laps.(first lap sprinted one goal side, second lap sprinted one goal side to one half life...so in the end you are sprinting a whole lap)

AND FINALLY...to see if we made it. I couldn't get my cleats off, but didn't want to see the list that was posted...

Well, I get inside and I didn't even get to the list when somebody yells, "BRI You.....MADE IT!"

So, I've made it past the first cuts. This is so stressful because we may not find out until NEXT week if we make it. But yes, I am happy.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by disney fanatic
    I get inside and I didn't even get to the list when somebody yells, "BRI You.....MADE IT!"
    Are we supposed to be impressed or shocked?? I knew all along you'd do great !!!
    Only kidding honey, well done xxx
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer13 View Post
    Are we supposed to be impressed or shocked?? I knew all along you'd do great !!!
    Only kidding honey, well done xxx
    Thanks, Mum. Only half way there, and I am so stressing out! I am definitely relieved knowing that I made first cuts.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Did a mini workout tonight, 200 swings and boy did they kick my butt....funny how some nights it's easy and others....not!

Last night was an easy work out, i did nothing LOL
    x FIONA x

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer13 View Post
    I'm not sure if its the KB use, but kicking (with breaststroke especially) felt a lot stronger, but i can feel i've lost some cardio fitness from the lack of swimming these last few weeks.
    It could very well be. As a personal testimonial, during my first few months on the KBs, I went from swimming eleven minute 500 meter sidestrokes to nine minute ones, and using the 'bells was the only thing I was doing differently. As for the cardio, I'm thinking it might just be from time out of the pool--from personal experience, swimming is one of those things that needs constant practice to maintain the proficiency (and why marathoners wind up s-ucking wind after just a single lap). At any rate, keep swinging!

Congratulations, Bri. Like Fiona said, I don't think there's anyone here who had anything resembling doubt you'd get this far and do this well. See it through now.

just discovered something new, sneezing really messes up a KB swing LOL
    x FIONA x

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I printed out the article that Jake posted recently and read it through. I don't want to invest in a kettlebell right now, but I did have a set of hand weights that can be filled with water. (I had filled them lead pellets because they kept leaking the water.) I poured the contents of one into the other for a total weight of about 12 pounds. I used one weight just like a kettlebell. I did swings - 3 sets of 10 and I felt it right away in the back of my legs. Right now, I think this amount of weight is good for me. Once I feel comfortable, I will add more routines and start looking at buying set of KB. So, we'll see how long I stick with this routine and if I can stay with it long enough to see any time of positive results.

I got to aqua class again yesterday. All the other people in the class are probably 10 years my senior, but have been doing this for just as many years. I had to hang onto the side of the pool when doing a couple of routines because my core muscles are not as developed. I'm hoping the weight training will help develop this muscles a little faster.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I am so proud of everyone on this thread!

Did different scrimmages all day. Worked on defensive skills, and passes.

Then did a sprinting drill!

Had fun today, and did great! Can't wait for tomorrow.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT